PDA

View Full Version : Magic weapon ability bonus clarification

Mazricoth
2017-05-18, 11:30 AM
Magic weapons are created and priced based off of their total enhancement bonus, with any given magic weapon only being able to go up to +10 total.

However, there are a few abilities that don't add a bonus, but instead add a flat price to the existing price of the weapon. Abilities like impervious, glamered, transformative, and dueling each only raise the flat cost.

The question is, do these abilities count as enhancement bonuses like the rest?

My first instinct was no, but my GM pointed out that they were grouped in different bonus charts (impervious and glamered in +1; the others in +4/5) I countered that they were only there for random generation purposes, but I couldn't find any rule explicitly stating that they didn't count against the bonus, so now I'm not as sure.

Please and thanks for helping!

Starbuck_II
2017-05-18, 11:41 AM
Magic weapons are created and priced based off of their total enhancement bonus, with any given magic weapon only being able to go up to +10 total.

However, there are a few abilities that don't add a bonus, but instead add a flat price to the existing price of the weapon. Abilities like impervious, glamered, transformative, and dueling each only raise the flat cost.

My first instinct was no, but my GM pointed out that they were grouped in different bonus charts (impervious and glamered in +1; the others in +4/5) I countered that they were only there for random generation purposes, but I couldn't find any rule explicitly stating that they didn't count against the bonus, so now I'm not as sure.

Nope, but they do count against the price for whether it is buyable in a town.

Kaleph
2017-05-18, 11:52 AM
Nope, but they do count against the price for whether it is buyable in a town.
Also, they matter to check if the object counts as epic or not. If the cost of the object is higher than 200,000, it defaults to epic, and requires an epic caster to enchant.

The_Jette
2017-05-18, 12:05 PM

They don't count towards the enhancement bonus limit, but keep in mind that there's also a limit on market value. Any magic weapon can't have a market value of over 200,000gp, which is the cost of a +10 enhancement bonus. So, adding non-enhancement bonuses to a weapon still reduces the overall amount of bonuses that can be applied before the weapon becomes an epic item. However, the difference between a +9 weapon and a +10 weapon is 38,000gp so you should have plenty of space to add on the non-enhancement bonuses before reducing the max bonus to +8 due to market value.
Point of interest, the market value blurb only applies to the enchantment cost, not the base weapon, or no weapon at all would be able to be a +10 weapon, since the masterwork component itself is 300gp.