PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Lungaris: A base race for anthropomorphic creatures. [PEACH]

bunnynoah
2017-05-18, 11:57 AM
Hello everybody in the playground! Today I show you a rough draft of a race I've been working on. It's essentially a base for any anthropomorphic creature you'd want to make.

Lungaris (Anthropomorphic Beast) = 6.5
The Lungaris are a group of anthropomorphic creatures that take on a variety of beastral traits. Many have traits of two differing creatures, like a wolf-like Lungaris with horns. Or a cat-like Lungaris who has a body of a swimmer.
Ability Score Increase. Your dexterity increases by 2 and 2 other scores increase by 1 each. [4]
Age. You age similarly to humans, but you can live from less than a century to well over one.
Size. Your kind’s size varies wildly from beast to beast, ranging from barely 4 feet to a whopping 7 feet tall. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30.
Darkvision. You can see 60 feet in dim light as if it were bright and dark as if it were dim. [.5]
Beastral Traits. You may choose two traits that define yourself.
Maw. You have a muzzle full of sharp canines. You are proficient with your natural bite weapon that deals 1d6 piercing damage. [1]
Horns. You have horns atop your head. They could be curling Ram's horns, or tall Gazelle’s horns. You are proficient with your horn weapon that deals 1d6 blunt damage. [1]
Powerful Legs. Your legs are thick with muscles compared to the rest of your body. You always jump as if you had a running start. [1]
Quick. Your body was built to run. You gain an additional 10 Movement speed. [1]
Swimmer. Your body is sleek and streamlined, you may also have dorsal and arm fins. You gain a swimming speed of 20. [1]

As I said, really just me trying to get ideas out of my head, so if you have comments or additional beastral features, please let me know!

bunnynoah
2017-05-20, 01:01 PM
Any comments or suggestions?

Potato_Priest
2017-05-21, 11:51 AM
Hello everybody in the playground! Today I show you a rough draft of a race I've been working on. It's essentially a base for any anthropomorphic creature you'd want to make.

Lungaris (Anthropomorphic Beast) = 6.5
The Lungaris are a group of anthropomorphic creatures that take on a variety of beastral traits. Many have traits of two differing creatures, like a wolf-like Lungaris with horns. Or a cat-like Lungaris who has a body of a swimmer.
Ability Score Increase. Your dexterity increases by 2 and 2 other scores increase by 1 each. [4]
Age. You age similarly to humans, but you can live from less than a century to well over one.
Size. Your kind’s size varies wildly from beast to beast, ranging from barely 4 feet to a whopping 7 feet tall. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30.
Darkvision. You can see 60 feet in dim light as if it were bright and dark as if it were dim. [.5]
Beastral Traits. You may choose two traits that define yourself.
Maw. You have a muzzle full of sharp canines. You are proficient with your natural bite weapon that deals 1d6 piercing damage. [1]
Horns. You have horns atop your head. They could be curling Ram's horns, or tall Gazelle’s horns. You are proficient with your horn weapon that deals 1d6 blunt damage. [1]
Powerful Legs. Your legs are thick with muscles compared to the rest of your body. You always jump as if you had a running start. [1]
Quick. Your body was built to run. You gain an additional 10 Movement speed. [1]
Swimmer. Your body is sleek and streamlined, you may also have dorsal and arm fins. You gain a swimming speed of 20. [1]

As I said, really just me trying to get ideas out of my head, so if you have comments or additional beastral features, please let me know!

Is this intended to be a general tool for building anthropomorphic creature races or a specific race of varying creatures?

If it's the former, it's too restrictive. You should remove the bite and horns and just give them a particular unarmed weapon of their choice that deals 1d6 damage. Swim and climb speeds can be 1 of the 2 bestial features that they get to pick, and thus are not necessary to provide elsewhere.

Either way, it gets too many features, and too many of them are really useful. Most of the PHB races have a couple of good features and some useless ones, while this appears to mostly grant useful ones. The first thing I would remove would be quick. I don't like any race being faster than wood elves, because that's their whole thing, and by taking out that single feature you bring the race much closer to balance than you would by removing any of the others.

Edit: I see how this is supposed to work now. You want people to choose their 2 traits form the list below!

With this new insight, I'd add keen smell and a climbing speed to the list of options.