PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Using the fcb of another race

thecrimsondawn
2017-05-18, 12:16 PM
I thought I saw a feat somewhere that would allow this, but I cant seem to find it, or perhaps I just thought I found something that allowed this.

Does anyone know a way for one race to take the fcb of another race?

Eldonauran
2017-05-18, 12:25 PM
If your race can count as human (human, half-elf, half-orc, Aasimars with certain racial trait), you can take the Racial Heritage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/racial-heritage/) feat to count as another humanoid race.

thecrimsondawn
2017-05-18, 01:11 PM
And this would allow me to use the fcb of that race? For example if I took this as a human and I chose say - Dwarf, I would be able to use the Dwarf fcb for the class I am playing?

If so, this is exactly what I need :)

Eldonauran
2017-05-18, 02:48 PM
And this would allow me to use the fcb of that race? For example if I took this as a human and I chose say - Dwarf, I would be able to use the Dwarf fcb for the class I am playing?

Racial Heritage will do exactly what you asking for. It will even let you take an archetype that is only available to a race, such as Ironskin monk (hobgoblins only). Human + Racial Heritage (Hobgoblin) = Human Ironskin monk.

the_david
2017-05-18, 05:15 PM

If so, this is exactly what I need :)

Yes, but this feat can only be taken by a race that has the (human) subtype. If you'd want to play an elf with dwarven FCB, it wouldn't be possible. A half-elf would be possible. (You'd count as a dwarf, an elf and a human.)

You might want to consider if this feat is really worth it though. You're giving up a feat in exchange for FCB. You could just take extra hit points and a feat that does something similar to the FCB. (Maybe.) Would that be a better option? How feat starved is your build?

It might be a good idea to post your build so we can give you more detailed advice. Also, I'm curious.

thecrimsondawn
2017-05-18, 05:24 PM
Yes, but this feat can only be taken by a race that has the (human) subtype. If you'd want to play an elf with dwarven FCB, it wouldn't be possible. A half-elf would be possible. (You'd count as a dwarf, an elf and a human.)

You might want to consider if this feat is really worth it though. You're giving up a feat in exchange for FCB. You could just take extra hit points and a feat that does something similar to the FCB. (Maybe.) Would that be a better option? How feat starved is your build?

It might be a good idea to post your build so we can give you more detailed advice. Also, I'm curious.

Ya, I am aware of the cost. Being a human just for an FCB is effectively replacing the human bonus feat in return for said fcb. I would prefer to not play human, but if this is the only way to do it, then I dont have much a choice.

Is the cost worth it tho? I have not decided yet as I am not fully sure where I am going with this build. Its one of those -race vs concept kinda deals more then functionality

Kurald Galain
2017-05-18, 05:49 PM
Most FCBs aren't very good, and the best ones tend to be either adding spells known (which is a human FCB so doesn't require the feat), or getting the equivalent of a feat once per six levels (so you need to be level 12+ to come out ahead, and it costs you hit points).

The main reason to take the feat is either flavor, or being able to combine racial abilities of two different races.

Psyren
2017-05-18, 06:38 PM
Ya, I am aware of the cost. Being a human just for an FCB is effectively replacing the human bonus feat in return for said fcb. I would prefer to not play human, but if this is the only way to do it, then I dont have much a choice.

Is the cost worth it tho? I have not decided yet as I am not fully sure where I am going with this build. Its one of those -race vs concept kinda deals more then functionality

It depends entirely on the FCB you're going for.

thecrimsondawn
2017-05-19, 09:39 PM
It depends entirely on the FCB you're going for.

Well since I made this thread I decided to change my build up a bit since I am already feat starved. Originally I was going to go Daevic from the Akashic Mysteries and use a race from Bloodforged for their fcb of boosting the amount of essence I can have in my passion veils. However after I ran the math, its simply a loss no matter how I go about it. Without the ability to use the wondrous item that treats the veil I have shaped as having up to 3 more essence in it, and without the ability to use a feat to boost it either, I am down 4 essence right there. Even at level 20, the fcb does not make up for that.

Instead I am going to make a Veiled Lord (warlord archetype) and go into the PrC Landsknecht at lv6 is what I am thinking.

For the sake of what I am gunning for - I am trying to make the most use out of the veil Armory of the Conqueror - a veil that when heavily invested in returns massive effective size increases on your weapon. Using a weapon that is already one size larger then myself (powerful build entry thanks to Bloodforge) and maybe even getting a magical way to boost my size, I can make a katana run 8d6 to 12d6 damage per hit by lv12 (a good planing point as many games dont go long past that point). With the Landsknecht's stances, access to Scarlet Throne Zenneth Strikes, and Vital Strike chain on AoO's (thanks to a PoW-E feat) I will be able to dish out some serious damage, all the while protecting myself with good armor, a buckler, ways to keep my saves in the green zone, and having an attack range out to 20ft or more.

This is all planned i my head atm and I have not finished assigning feat placements and what not, so I expect some adjustments to be made based on errors I find.

Tuvarkz
2017-05-20, 01:59 AM
Ah, Bloodforge is allowed? Then take the Mixed Blood race trait, which allows you to grab the FCB of another race. Heck, it has a special rule that allows you to take it multiple times and even if you already have a race trait.