PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Opinions regarding "open-ended rolls" variant rule?

Schattenbach
2017-05-18, 12:51 PM
The open-ended rolls variant rule from the epic level handbook replaces automatic success and failure on D20 rolls with +20 to the roll on natural 20 as well as -20 to the roll on natural 1 (one then getd to roll again, etc., and if the roll is yet again either some natural 20 or natural 1, the bonus or penalty is added yet again and things are further repeat until someting other than natural 20 or natural 1 is being rolled). To sum it up, there's no longer some 5% chance to be automatically be screwed no matter how high the AC/Saves/etc. are and as such, things get quite a bit more durable at later levels (particulary epic levels) due to equipment being quite a bit harder to destroy through various effects (Disjunction in particular ... and even unattended magic items can get respectable saves, i.e. 1/2 CL for regular magic items and 2 + CL for enhanced/wonderous stronghold components, so slapping something cheap/extremly low spell level with high/boosted Caster level on the items seems like a nice idea here; for gear, protection from evil seems like a nice idea, I guess ... ... ... though Disjunction still screws over buffs & things, like the "Hardening" spell, that make equipment more durable against being damaged by spells through bad rolls on saves or through being sundered) and saving throws/AC/defensive & utility stuff on equipment adding up to considerable high values (its much easier to stack several different types of AC and saves on items than it is to buff attack boni and spell DCs), so there seems to be some added aspect added to combat there (i.e. trying to pickpocket/disable/sunder equipment and/or to use blasting spells just for the still existing 5% chance that it affects one among the four most likely items - usually headband, shield, armor, etc. if those still haven't been destroyed - to weaken opponents/get ride of some troublesome piece of equipment) that one could otherwise ignore (or simply blindly powerattack with max BAB investment because one would only hit on some natural 20 anyway) and some other in-combat options like combat expertise/superior expertise could actually really be used as something along the line of an "parrying" system (which DnD 3.5 lacks as such ... with some minor expections, that is).

As far as I can tell so far, destroying equipment still seems quite easy (its often much easier to sunder various pieces of equipment than it is to hit the character wearing them ... the only things somewhat harder to Sunder are weapons and shields - their weapon enhancement boni makes them harder to destroy and, if I don't remember it wrong, in the case of weapons, slightly harder to hit - and armor - that is impossible to sunder and, with armor enhancement and special materials, harder to destroy by other means - as well as robes/bracers of armor/etc. that counts as armor that - depending on if the DM considers them the same as armor, thus making them impossible to sunder - possess some or all of the advantages) as items have next to none HP (and, at least usually, low Hardness ... Obdurium helps somewhat against most forms of attacks and Aurorium is great against Sundering for those things those metals could be used for), so getting damaged by some stray AoE (or general attack spell that could damage items ... but those might be harder to use as its more difficult to hit with them and later on, single target/ranged attacks are much easier to block/negate/turn back on the attacker and thus more troublesome to use)/sundered/stolen (as most pieces of equipment are vulnerable to that) are quite a bit more of a threat now that there's even more reason to use things that might target them (if they survive attacks, though, "Make Whole" - or any weaker but still decent option for repairing stuff - seems like it should fix them up instantly) or disable them for some time through targeted dispell/etc.

Some class (or race) based class features seem like they would get quite a bit more valuable and overall, without being able to freely power-attack/orb blast/save-or-die or save-or-suck spam against/etc, it seems like rocket tag loses quite a bit of steam as things are, to some degree, significantly less risky due to defensive options getting significantly better (though this also increases the gap between those that invest their WBL into equipment and such and those, like animals and some other creatures, that - for whatever reason - don't do something like that).

There's also no longer the issue of "5% of being screwed by a log list of things no matter how strong/durable/etc. someone or something is".

So ... I would like to hear some opinions about this variant rule and about what good/decent/unforseen/bad/etc. impact it has on DnD 3.5 in general as well as (as the effects are obviously greater at higher levels where the numbers are bigger and where its easier to stomach things like +20 boni to hit or -20 penalties on some saving throw) the rocket tag usually present at higher levels (low level DnD 3.5 shouldn't change that much from its usual lethality, I guess).

Thanks in advance.

SirNMN
2017-06-22, 08:18 PM
I like the rule, but I never noticed the and roll again part the one time I get to epic levels

ViperMagnum357
2017-06-22, 08:44 PM
I use it by default at epic levels, since twenty-barrel-russian-roulette gets old, fast. Keep in mind that while you can slap a high CL on low end equipment, building it as such gets very expensive, very fast. You are generally better off buffing your own saves and investing in reinforcement effects like the hardening spell, since your equipment is rarely unattended but still vulnerable to brute force.

I view this rule as a balancing factor to a couple of problems regarding rocket tag-someone at epic levels gains the ability to scattershot an opponent with numerous debilitating effects, and wait for them to fail enough to take them out. Spellcasters eventually start building up copies of Multispell, and even fairly straightforward martial types can afford to start stacking poison and magical effects to their strikes, like Cursespewing weapons and the like.

At low epic the rule will not be all that noticeable, but it starts really taking effect around level thirty, where everyone without RHD should have at least +10 to their weak saves and a couple of resistance/save bonus items will be a drop in the bucket to their wealth. Since few campaigns get there outside one shots, you have your answer for the lack of discussion. Also makes sense to explain the vast gap between Intermediate and Greater Deities-with this rule, every d20 roll for a Greater Deity is functionally infinite.

martixy
2017-06-22, 09:05 PM
Holy wall of text, Batman!

If you're gonna splurge your stream of consciousness for the world to see, it behooves you to apply proper formatting first.

TL;DR, going from the thread title alone:
For my game I looked a lot at how the math and the numbers and the mechanics of the d20 worked and decided on a few things:
a) Within the optimization level I was aiming for(high), once you exit the range of single-digit levels you have to abandon the notion of automatic successes and failures.
b) DMG has a neat and logical variant rule that makes it easy. However in a high-op high pre-epic and post epic game this runs into the opposite problem. So I make it nat1 = -20, nat20 = +40.
c) Open-ended rolls, while neat in concept are practically pointless. The amount of times you'll progress past the second iteration is too negligible. It also tends to encourage excessive rolling. Which, as a matter of real life practicality should be avoided. All of this being sufficiently covered by b).