PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5E - Fighter Grappler Archetype (PEACH)

Surrealistik
2017-05-18, 01:34 PM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kLBnL4c79xR1w9ztsmEfT5ZV40QdwyYffniuJ-0Ossw/edit

Now with formatting! http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJWXwW23gb

5/18/2017: First draft. Probably has wording/balance issues. Let the feedback begin!

Surrealistik
2017-05-19, 12:51 PM
Added formatted version.

Surrealistik
2017-05-21, 01:34 PM
No thoughts thus far?

The Sadistic DM
2017-05-22, 09:55 AM
I read through this just now and it definitely seems interesting. However, I would increase the damage done to d6 unarmed and d8 against grappled opponents. This would help make the class be more viable. I say this because as it stands a bladelock build will be doing more damage per round (assuming no grapple) and at max level, while the extra abilities are cool, thematic, and useful, I do not believe they make up for the sharp damage decrease that you experience from one of the other fighter archetypes.

That is just my opinion of course and I would suggest that you seek out more thoughts on the matter besides mine.:smallsmile:

Surrealistik
2017-05-22, 11:48 AM
I read through this just now and it definitely seems interesting. However, I would increase the damage done to d6 unarmed and d8 against grappled opponents. This would help make the class be more viable. I say this because as it stands a bladelock build will be doing more damage per round (assuming no grapple) and at max level, while the extra abilities are cool, thematic, and useful, I do not believe they make up for the sharp damage decrease that you experience from one of the other fighter archetypes.

That is just my opinion of course and I would suggest that you seek out more thoughts on the matter besides mine.:smallsmile:

Thanks for the feedback! Just keep in mind that there's nothing preventing you from carrying a warhammer in one hand (with +2 damage from the duelist fighting style) to attack say, a pinned target granting advantage, with your bare grappling fist in the other. :smallamused:

I actually did have a more generous scaling for the unarmed strike once upon a time, about on par with the monk's with the damage dice increasing per Grappler feature gained, but considered it in balance OP given the amount of utility the Grappler can field per his ability to (reliably) restrain creatures essentially at will, and the extra attacks from Takedown and Deathgrip. I wanted there to be more of a tradeoff between damage and control.