PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Sun Wukong 3.5

PacMan41000
2017-05-18, 01:47 PM
I have a general idea on how to make Sun Wukong but I want the input of people better at this than I am on how to make the character better and which items to eventually go for having. All books are aloud and I want to shy away from Homebrew.
What I got so far is:
Race Vanara (To be a monkey)
Class: Monk, Wizard/Sorcerer, Enlightened Fist(Focused on W/S and EN to get the most out of spells)
And then to get Polymorph once I hit caster level 8.

I don't yet know what weapons, gear or feats I should be using on the character.

khadgar567
2017-05-18, 01:53 PM
I have a general idea on how to make Sun Wukong but I want the input of people better at this than I am on how to make the character better and which items to eventually go for having. All books are aloud and I want to shy away from Homebrew.
What I got so far is:
Race Vanara (To be a monkey)
Class: Monk, Wizard/Sorcerer, Enlightened Fist(Focused on W/S and EN to get the most out of spells)
And then to get Polymorph once I hit caster level 8.

I don't yet know what weapons, gear or feats I should be using on the character.
you know spheres of might from drop dead studios can build him more easyly then this just play sage with lancer sphere and grab alteration sphere from spheres of might wooila you got son gokku and sun wukong on same buil and its much more easy to wrap heads with it

Waker
2017-05-18, 02:13 PM
What resources do you have available? What is the end goal for your character concept? By which I mean, what do you picture when you think of this character? 'Cause Sun Wukong could do a lot of crazy stuff in the stories and settling on what power array you want would be useful.
If you decide to go with the Monk/Arcane route, you might want to look at Aescetic Mage (CAdv) as it lets your Monk abilities key off of Charisma instead of Wisdom.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-05-18, 08:24 PM
Maybe try Swordsage/Sorcerer/Jade Phoenix Mage instead? Or better yet, Psychic Warrior, maybe with some Slayer thrown in; Tome of Battle probably gets the martial side better than alternatives, and Psionics seem more fitting for that sort of magic than traditional casting.

you know spheres of might from drop dead studios can build him more easyly then this just play sage with lancer sphere and grab alteration sphere from spheres of might wooila you got son gokku and sun wukong on same buil and its much more easy to wrap heads with it
I know it's great and all, but recommending an unreleased third-party Pathfinder product in a 3.5 thread is not exactly the most applicable thing in the world.

ATHATH
2017-05-18, 08:35 PM
If you do go the Psychic Warrior route, I recommend taking the Tashalatora feat and picking up a Monk's Belt.

Gildedragon
2017-05-18, 09:59 PM
Wizard with Fighter Bonus Feats may be a good idea
Specialization in Transmutation; banned schools Necromancy and probably Evocation or Enchantment. (if possible the Changeling Wizard Sub Levels would fit thematically...)

Though Charisma as their key stat does make sense.

SoraWolf7
2017-05-19, 12:38 AM
If I remember right, one of Sun Wukong's favored combat forms was an Asura-like form, three faces and six arms and all. Also, he's basically got super eyes that can see through illusion, so he's got eyes of True Seeing but a vulnerability to smoke. Not sure how to put that one in there.

Oh, and a Cursed circlet that can be used to torture him depending on if someone knows the words/sutra used. Can't forget his more infamous leash.

Eldariel
2017-05-19, 02:21 AM
If I remember right, one of Sun Wukong's favored combat forms was an Asura-like form, three faces and six arms and all. Also, he's basically got super eyes that can see through illusion, so he's got eyes of True Seeing but a vulnerability to smoke. Not sure how to put that one in there.

That's basically straight-up True Seeing as it gives you no special sight to see through mundane obstacles.

logic_error
2017-05-19, 03:02 AM
Vanara cleric with war and trickery domain. Choose quarterstaff as favored deity weapon. Get into the sacred fist class with a level of monk.

Buufreak
2017-05-20, 10:09 AM
After reading a bit of JtoW, the name Sun Wukong literally means "monkey aware of emptiness." So... Melee based Void Disciple?

Schattenbach
2017-05-20, 10:49 AM
Wu Jen might be a better fit here than wizard if it has to be something Int-based ... though something that's sorcerer-based might still be a better fit ... otherwise, there's the Spirit Shaman, too, I guess, though to make that work detecntly, one would need some non-Wee Jas version of the Ruby Knight Vindicator to make sure the melee capabilities don't suck too much (and its stronger than Jade Phoenix Mage, anyway)? Either way, Sun Wukong (or Sun Wukong-based characters that try to emulate Sun Wukong and his exploits) would eventually end up in considerably high epic levels and aquire quite a bit of divine power (in the form of divine ranks, I guess), too, wouldn't it?

SoraWolf7
2017-05-20, 12:44 PM
Okay, so I'm gonna address some stats here given from Wikipedia.

As for the matter of his birth, Sun Wukong was born from a magic rock like a bird from an egg. So perhaps a template there to help boost his abilities.

Sun Wukong can lift his staff which weighs 13,500 jin/7,960 kg/17,550 lbs with no issue, so that gives us a strength score to move towards. He can travel in one round (a probably running somersault leap) a distance of 108,000 li/21,765 km/13,486 miles, aka more than halfway around the world, which could be possible either through teleportation or just a really good running ability.

Sun Wukong knows 72 Earthly transformations (Alter Self, Polymorph, etc), but has trouble hiding his tail (probably just a quirk of his to make things interesting).

Even his hairs have magical abilities, such as being able to become clones of the Monkey King (a good application of the Wu Jen Spell, Body Outside of Body), and/or to transform into weapons, animals, or other objects (a good old-fashioned Polymorph would solve that problem, just they wouldn't be masterwork weapons).

He knows spells to command wind (Either Control Weather, Control Winds, or summon some air elementals), part Water (Control Water or water elementals), conjure protective circles against demons (Protection against Evil), and freeze humans, demons, and gods alike (So probably just some save or die spells or something along those lines.).

In the way of equipment, he has his famous staff, which aside from being sentient (Sentient Magic Item/Legacy Weapon that chose him as its master), can change size from reaching the bottom of the ocean to the size of a needle (an innate Shrink Object/Grow Object spell possibly stored in either end of the staff), self-multiply (no idea on this one, maybe share spell with Body Outside of Body), and even fight according to its master's will. In addition, he's got a golden chain mail shirt, a phoenix feather-cap, and a pair of cloud-walking boots (possibly the source of his cloud-leaping ability, could also be Air Walk or straight-up Fly).

Gildedragon
2017-05-20, 01:00 PM
Cloud leaping boots just boost his balance to at least 90

Tool for Balance of Legend (+10 circumstance)
Enhancement bonus of +30
what else?
A sacred bonus? Dex +6?

The staff size changing is clearly just Sizing
Self fighting is Dancing

Buufreak
2017-05-20, 01:52 PM
Okay, so I'm gonna address some stats here given from Wikipedia.

As for the matter of his birth, Sun Wukong was born from a magic rock like a bird from an egg. So perhaps a template there to help boost his abilities.

Sun Wukong can lift his staff which weighs 13,500 jin/7,960 kg/17,550 lbs with no issue, so that gives us a strength score to move towards. He can travel in one round (a probably running somersault leap) a distance of 108,000 li/21,765 km/13,486 miles, aka more than halfway around the world, which could be possible either through teleportation or just a really good running ability.

Sun Wukong knows 72 Earthly transformations (Alter Self, Polymorph, etc), but has trouble hiding his tail (probably just a quirk of his to make things interesting).

Even his hairs have magical abilities, such as being able to become clones of the Monkey King (a good application of the Wu Jen Spell, Body Outside of Body), and/or to transform into weapons, animals, or other objects (a good old-fashioned Polymorph would solve that problem, just they wouldn't be masterwork weapons).

He knows spells to command wind (Either Control Weather, Control Winds, or summon some air elementals), part Water (Control Water or water elementals), conjure protective circles against demons (Protection against Evil), and freeze humans, demons, and gods alike (So probably just some save or die spells or something along those lines.).

In the way of equipment, he has his famous staff, which aside from being sentient (Sentient Magic Item/Legacy Weapon that chose him as its master), can change size from reaching the bottom of the ocean to the size of a needle (an innate Shrink Object/Grow Object spell possibly stored in either end of the staff), self-multiply (no idea on this one, maybe share spell with Body Outside of Body), and even fight according to its master's will. In addition, he's got a golden chain mail shirt, a phoenix feather-cap, and a pair of cloud-walking boots (possibly the source of his cloud-leaping ability, could also be Air Walk or straight-up Fly).

Cloud leaping boots just boost his balance to at least 90

Tool for Balance of Legend (+10 circumstance)
Enhancement bonus of +30
what else?
A sacred bonus? Dex +6?

The staff size changing is clearly just Sizing
Self fighting is Dancing

I just finished chapter 2 (out of 100. This thing is LONG!) and he learned the ability to "cloud somersault" from his Immortal Master, and it acts pretty solidly as a teleport, with the somatic component of "do a flip." His clothes at this point of the story are some pants, a sash, and boots he stole from a commoner, and he was still able to climb on clouds, so it is innate ability and not from equipment that he is doing this.

It is from this same master the learned the 72 earthly transformations (one of which is a pine tree, but in other media I've seen him become a tiger, ox, and eagle). The reason his hair can be transformed is it is part of his being, and therefore each of his "84 thousand hairs" has all his abilities, including his strength, immortality, and transformations.

I'd love to give more information for insight, but like I said, this story is freaking long. If other really relevant things come up, I'll return!

Bohandas
2017-05-20, 02:00 PM
Druid might work better than wizard for the shapeshifting thing

Gildedragon
2017-05-20, 02:07 PM
I just finished chapter 2 (out of 100. This thing is LONG!) and he learned the ability to "cloud somersault" from his Immortal Master, and it acts pretty solidly as a teleport, with the somatic component of "do a flip." His clothes at this point of the story are some pants, a sash, and boots he stole from a commoner, and he was still able to climb on clouds, so it is innate ability and not from equipment that he is doing this.

It is from this same master the learned the 72 earthly transformations (one of which is a pine tree, but in other media I've seen him become a tiger, ox, and eagle). The reason his hair can be transformed is it is part of his being, and therefore each of his "84 thousand hairs" has all his abilities, including his strength, immortality, and transformations.

I'd love to give more information for insight, but like I said, this story is freaking long. If other really relevant things come up, I'll return!

Non magical cloud walk... We still need to hit the 100 DC

Take 10, +10 tool, 23 ranks... +30 E bonus, +10 Dex Bonus...
Still almost 20 short

Thurbane
2017-05-20, 06:47 PM
I know it's great and all, but recommending an unreleased third-party Pathfinder product in a 3.5 thread is not exactly the most applicable thing in the world.

I know, I sometimes wonder why people even bother putting "3.5" right there in the topic title. :smallfrown:

Vanara cleric with war and trickery domain. Choose quarterstaff as favored deity weapon. Get into the sacred fist class with a level of monk.

I agree - a C(od)zilla build could do most of what is required. If you could re-fluff it, maybe Sovereign Speaker to pick up a bunch of domains.

...some of the abilities pretty much require (near-) epic levels or divine ranks, though.

Schattenbach
2017-05-20, 08:36 PM
One other option would be to turn the character into some intelligent major artifact (or integrate Artifacts or Major Artifacts into the character as non-standard slots that aren't easy to target or - in the case of major artifacts - nearly impossible to destroy ... using some kind of "spiritual core"-like artifact that's somewhere deeply buried within the character's soul or very existence as well as something to modify the body or parts of the body or to give the character some non-standard "bloodline" slot - that could contain some minor fragment of the ever expanding artifact or major artifact it is part of - seems like one of the easiest way to introduce hax and abstract capabilities into DnD 3.5) and to make the items so that the characters could improve them on his own by spending EXP and/or by making them scale based on the character's HP growth and/or make them awaken some of their dormant capabilities as the character grows stronger/etc. That's not directly "homebrew" (as long as things are kept within the custom item creation guidelines, I guess), but it still runs on considerable amounts of DM-fiat. Epic spellcasting is a thing, too, I guess (and pretty necessary when it comes to emulate genuine near-deity power), but that also runs on DM-fiat and (usually) has uses-per-day limitations.

There are RAW uses of Wish to grant SLAs and special capabilities in the epic level handbook (some of the setting specific NPCs have them listed in their stat block as something that's been obtained through Wish). While those are powers that go beyond the regular power of wish, if highly intelligent Epic spellcasters are able and (despite the potential risk) willing to obtain those, why shouldn't others be able to do the same? Savage species suggests, at least as far as that Wish-based ritual is involved, that Spellcraft checks could solve some of these issues by partially fulfilling those race transformations (i.e. not giving all special ablities or such) until the success rate of the spellcraft check (i.e. +5%? for point of the spellcraft check beyond 20 for 100% success rate when rolling 40?) so one could argue that one could adapt that on some other things as well to at least avoid wishes blowing up in one's face. The epic level handbook also outright states that the backslash of wishes is the smallest when used on the caster itself.

If things go epic, then Everdancing would obviously be the better choice here for that staff compared to the regular dancing weapon enhancement.

Zombulian
2017-05-21, 01:22 AM

Rod of Surprises (MIC 58) is a must.

animewatcha
2017-05-21, 02:02 AM
Sacred fist means no quarterstaff.

Knaight
2017-05-21, 02:18 AM

Your copy seems to be short 8 chapters. As for the abilities, there's no way to do an exact representation - D&D wasn't made to cover Wukong, and Wukong certainly wasn't made with D&D in mind (what with being close to 400 years older at a conservative estimate). Pushing some stuff to magic items is basically required.

Buufreak
2017-05-21, 10:08 AM
Oh of course, I'm just a buff for historical accuracy. Feel free to use items to simulate the character, but we shouldn't pretend it was the items doing the work all along.

logic_error
2017-05-21, 02:20 PM
Sacred fist means no quarterstaff.

True. Skip the monk level and take Geomancer instead. Get the Staff of Size Alteration. That *is* his staff of bands. To get into Geomancer an extra spell domain from somewhere would be a good idea. Maybe a level into a Sovereign speaker.

Tohsaka Rin
2017-05-21, 04:14 PM
Did (https://68.media.tumblr.com/5729e2d94b2856caffd3cd4b5a023505/tumblr_mvy1vvIRqE1sb30y2o1_400.gif) somebody say (http://68.media.tumblr.com/05d5cc1808cf38554d6bbb84c52e6646/tumblr_nyi56rsIOx1s086nyo3_500.gif) Sun Wukong (https://68.media.tumblr.com/ea9e92de2a0ec0e46ead0d6afa588e20/tumblr_og6nq5fBV61tprwhqo1_500.gif)?