PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Questions

Azreal
2017-05-18, 02:23 PM
Alright so I have a few questions about spell interactions.

-Do Conjure Elemental, Magic Circle, and Planar Binding interact together to make long lasting summons?

-If so are they still under my command and do they have to fail the save still?

-Would Wall of Stone be a feasible spell to create structures with?

-Would a Wall of Force be able to cleave an oncoming Ship?

-Is Geas worth anything if there's no compulsion and it's only once per day?

-Would two casters be able to use Wall of Fire and Wall of Force in conjunction and keep both going even if the wall of Fire is enclosed within the Wall of Force?

-Would Contingency work with Dominate Person to restore control to myself?

Demonslayer666
2017-05-18, 04:22 PM
To the best of my knowledge and how I would handle it as DM:
Yes, Planar Binding would extend Conjure Elemental.
Not sure I understand what exactly you are asking here, but they have to fail the save for Planar Binding, and then they are under your command for that duration.
Yes.
Yes, it's possible, but it depends on the type of ship, its speed, and its facing into the wall.
Yes, they are still charmed, and honestly, they should not want to take that much damage.
As long as the Wall of Force was cast after the Wall of Fire, yes. Wall of Force doesn't dispel spells, it stops their effects from passing through it.
No, I would not allow you to charm yourself to undo someone else's charm on you. I would say you need to use Dispel Magic, or Dispel Good/Evil.

Eldamar
2017-05-18, 04:29 PM
Most of these can be answered by re-reading the spell descriptions in the PHB.

JackPhoenix
2017-05-18, 04:42 PM
-Do Conjure Elemental, Magic Circle, and Planar Binding interact together to make long lasting summons?

Sort of. Conjure Elemental requires concentration, so you can't cast Planar Binding at the same time. There are ways around that, either use second caster or properly worded Glyph of Warding or Wish

If the elemental fails its save, it will be under control of the caster of the Planar Binding for the duration of the binding, as described in the spell.

Yes. I suggest Mason's tools proficiency when you use it in that way.

Ask your GM. The ship can certainly crash into the indestructible wall, with appropriate consequences.

Depends on the target and exact circumstances.

-Would two casters be able to use Wall of Fire and Wall of Force in conjunction and keep both going even if the wall of Fire is enclosed within the Wall of Force?

Yes, if the Wall of Fire is cast first, otherwise Wall of Force blocks the second caster's line of effect.

I'm not sure what are you asking... after being dominated by someone else, use contingent DP on yourself?

SharkForce
2017-05-18, 08:14 PM
Alright so I have a few questions about spell interactions.

- based on the description, it is clearly supposed to. unfortunately, the rules interact with it poorly. in order to cast the circle, you need to stop concentrating on the conjuring spell, which should make you lose control. then you need to cast planar binding, another spell which requires concentration to cast (any spell with a casting time longer than 1 action requires concentration to cast it). but planar binding is supposed to be able to extend the duration of a conjuring spell (which should include the control), except that the spell would need to have ended before you even start casting planar binding, and the creature should disappear just before theplanar binding can work (the creature isn't teleporting away, the universe is pulling it back, so what even would be the DC for it to try and escape with, if it even needs to roll since it's the universe pulling it back?). and if you use two casters, who gets control... the one who cast planar binding, or the one who had their conjuration spell extended? the whole thing is kind of a mess, and you'll need to figure out how your DM thinks it works.

- they do have to fail the planar binding save, and if the DM thinks you're actually supposed to be able to use the combination and house rules that it does actually work in spite of the RAW being non-functional, you would have the same amount of control as if you had somehow cast a longer-duration conjure elemental spell.

- yes, absolutely, you'd just need to concentrate for 10 minutes for each wall. note that you will probably need a *lot* of walls to do it.

- conjure it inside the ship, no. conjure it in front of the ship, potentially... the ship would take damage as if it rammed the wall, which could potentially do what you want. or not. depends on the ship, how fast it's moving, etc, really.

- it works well against weak(ish) creatures, and it still keeps the creature from attacking you personally at least. also, even tougher creatures could potentially be at risk if the roll is particularly high or if they've already taken damage when the action comes up, you can make it do a smidgeon more with a bestowed curse, and most creatures should at least be reluctant to suffer intense pain whether they'll survive or not (you could presumably survive me beating you half to death, by definition... but if the task assigned to you isn't too awful, you might prefer doing the task over getting hit for enough damage to kill a horse once per day for the rest of your life).

- as noted, wall of fire needs to be cast first. my personal preference, however, is a mordenkainen's hound, since it requires no concentration and can thus be done with one wizard ;)

- why not just use dispel magic? i'd say dominate person might give you a chance on any given round, but dispel magic has a much higher success rate, so just go with that. or even just go with protection from evil, which will also protect you from domination 100% of the time.

Demonslayer666
2017-05-19, 01:48 PM
- based on the description, it is clearly supposed to. unfortunately, the rules interact with it poorly. in order to cast the circle, you need to stop concentrating on the conjuring spell, which should make you lose control. then you need to cast planar binding, another spell which requires concentration to cast (any spell with a casting time longer than 1 action requires concentration to cast it). but planar binding is supposed to be able to extend the duration of a conjuring spell (which should include the control), except that the spell would need to have ended before you even start casting planar binding, and the creature should disappear just before theplanar binding can work (the creature isn't teleporting away, the universe is pulling it back, so what even would be the DC for it to try and escape with, if it even needs to roll since it's the universe pulling it back?). and if you use two casters, who gets control... the one who cast planar binding, or the one who had their conjuration spell extended? the whole thing is kind of a mess, and you'll need to figure out how your DM thinks it works.

Magic Circle does not require concentration to maintain the duration. You only have to concentrate during the long casting time. So you can throw down the magic circle, and then summon the elemental into it.

RickAllison
2017-05-19, 03:20 PM
Magic Circle does not require concentration to maintain the duration. You only have to concentrate during the long casting time. So you can throw down the magic circle, and then summon the elemental into it.

Magic Circle isn't the problem, Planar Binding is.

SharkForce
2017-05-19, 09:23 PM

the circle blocks the creature from entering it, technically ;)

like i said, the whole thing is a mess. it's clearly supposed to work. but it doesn't.

Azreal
2017-05-19, 09:24 PM
the circle blocks the creature from entering it, technically ;)

like i said, the whole thing is a mess. it's clearly supposed to work. but it doesn't.

You can invert the magic circle to keep things trapped inside it.

SharkForce
2017-05-19, 09:43 PM
You can invert the magic circle to keep things trapped inside it.

fair enough, thought it provided protection in both directions, but it doesn't.

so, provided you use a higher level spell slot for 2 hour duration, it is possible to get a summoned creature in the circle.

it is, however, still impossible to concentrate on the summoning spell while casting planar binding, so the whole thing still needs DM adjudication on how exactly it works.

JackPhoenix
2017-05-20, 01:21 PM
fair enough, thought it provided protection in both directions, but it doesn't.

so, provided you use a higher level spell slot for 2 hour duration, it is possible to get a summoned creature in the circle.

it is, however, still impossible to concentrate on the summoning spell while casting planar binding, so the whole thing still needs DM adjudication on how exactly it works.

You can get around that by setting up a Glyph of Warding with the Conjure Elemental activated on some cue. You cast Magic Circle, trigger the glyph to summon the elemental inside the circle and cast Planar Binding. With the correct timing (and second glyph), you don't even have problem with Magic Circle's duration being one round short.

SharkForce
2017-05-20, 11:19 PM
You can get around that by setting up a Glyph of Warding with the Conjure Elemental activated on some cue. You cast Magic Circle, trigger the glyph to summon the elemental inside the circle and cast Planar Binding. With the correct timing (and second glyph), you don't even have problem with Magic Circle's duration being one round short.

you would still need the 2 hour circle.

conjure elemental has a 1 minute casting time :)