PDA

View Full Version : I'll Bring the Ocean to Us

ReaverVonVette
2017-05-18, 03:40 PM
I have an Archivist character who has learned Flashflood and has access to spring Attack and a nice swim speed. I'd like to create some kind of orb or sphere to lock me and my opponents in, then unleash Flashflood inside of it and force them to fight underwater - however I have two questions.

Is there any spell that functions as a semi-impenetrable orb like a shaped Wall of Force that would be accessible on ANY divine casting list?

If, for example, I unleash flashflood in a 20 sq ft sphere that functions like Wall of Force, what would happen as a result of a small space filling up with 100,000 cubic feet of water? Would the spell break from the pressure? Would the water stop flowing when it gets full? Would some crazy physics vacuum get created that I probably want to avoid entirely?

BananaNomNom
2017-05-18, 03:45 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resilientSphere.htm

Fizban
2017-05-18, 06:44 PM
Conjurations and dnd in general basically never take into account air pressure unless the effect specifically says so. Air just kinda is or isn't there, with Resilient Sphere specifically saying that breathing is unaffected. Casting a Flashflood in a confined space would either fail completely because there isn't enough space to contain the effect, or would fill all the empty (air filled) space and then stop.

Resilient Sphere, Wall of Force, Forcecage, and Telekinetic Sphere are all on the Force Domain list. There's a Wall of Water spell that creates a relatively thin barrier, but between that and various other spells like Reverse Gravity and Flashflood itself, I think a solid case could be made for a Bring the Ocean to Me spell that just conjures and holds a big shapeable area of water in place rather than letting it drain, until it disappears at end of duration.