PDA

View Full Version : Scarecrow DnD 5e

Maxilian
2017-05-18, 03:59 PM
Hello everyone, i have always liked to create fantasy / comic / videogames characters in DnD 5e, this time i want to create, the Scarecrow (There are a lot of different form it takes, but i will be using Injustice 2 Scarecrow)

He uses fear to fight his enemies, use as his main weapon is a chain hook, so how would i put this in DnD?

https://dontfeedthegamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/injustice-2-scarecrow-1.jpg

http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Injustice-2-Scarecrow.jpg

Right now what i have?

Variant Human, so i can take the Menancing Feat (UA -Feat for Skills-), giving me expertise in Intimidation (I work with fear, so i need this) and +1 CHA.

Warlock 2 Fiend Patron, that let me take the invocation Cloak of Baalzebul, that would be reflavored as the gas itself (the green aura of gas around me that does poison damage and that make those around me see their darkest fear -Advantage on Intimidation-)

Fighter X Battlemaster, this give me more options in combat, let the use the Menancing Strike (more fear options are always welcome), and give me extra attack (Something i really wanted cause the Menancing Feat let me try to intimidate someone to flee by forgoing one of my attacks), and Fighter give me the means to stay in melee (the HP and armor for it)

As a Chain Hook does not exist as a weapon, i could go with a Whip (for the range), but a part of me wants to have another weapon for 5 feets attack (as the Whip have a really low damage dice) -Maybe a Rapier reflavored as a Hook-

The starting stats would be: (Point Buy 25 -Already added the race stats, and the stat of the Feat taken by Vuman)

STR 8
DEX 16
CON 14
INT 10
WIS 10
CHA 16

I'm unsure if leaving my CON in 12 to increase my INT or WIS in 12 (a part of me prefer to increase INT, as he was supposed to be a Psychiatrist (so he needs to be somewhat intelligent), but he, with time, got a little bit mad (he got obssesed with the study of fear itself) -Main reason why i think his WIS would be Ok quite low, but it bothers me that it means that he would be quite vulnerable to fear effects (something that looks... quite weird, but the Scarecrow have always been a man, and have always fear things -Normally Batman-), the Psychiatrist part could easily be fixed with the background and well placed proficiencies (like medicine and nature, as he uses, mostly, plants to create his gas).

Any ideas? any recommendations? in any case here a trailer of when he was announced (there you can see a little bit how he fights, how he looks, and how he acts)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e8gb1K1aGw

Mortis_Elrod
2017-05-18, 04:20 PM
use a flail as a reflavored chain hook

Edit: or a sickle since thats actually what the hook would be. dual wield the whip and hook

Maxilian
2017-05-18, 05:16 PM
use a flail as a reflavored chain hook

Edit: or a sickle since thats actually what the hook would be. dual wield the whip and hook

The problem with the sickles is:

A) Is Light, not Finesse, so i can't use DEX with it (unless i go Monk)
B) It doesn't really the problem i have with the whip, a really low dice damage (1d4)

RickAllison
2017-05-18, 05:35 PM
For a chain hook, I would just reflavor Lightning Lure which you can pick up from your Warlock, or Thorn Whip if you went Warlock 3 for Tome, either of which gives you more damage. That would give you some pull with the chain hooks. For weapons, I would just reflavor the short sword or rapier for finesse.

CaptainSarathai
2017-05-19, 01:52 AM
I think you're on the right track with a Warlock/Batmaster. Batmaster though is ONLY if you want to focus a bit more heavily on his melee weapon with Trip and Menacing.
I'd also go Warcaster over ResilientX, so that you can use Lightning Lure and Booming Blade as Reactions.

I think some of the best Fear effects come from the Paladin, though. UA OoConqueror or DMG Oathbreaker give some really cool Fear and manipulation effects, and Pally/Lock is a strong Multiclass. At Pal6 you're adding Charisma to all saving throws, making it pretty hard to drop Fear effects on you.

I'd also consider Half Elf over VHuman. Better stats and more Skills means that you can afford to have that sort of "know-it-all" psychiatrist without resorting to backgrounds.
For BG I'd actually go Sailor:Pirate, as that gives you a way to instill fear in the common rabble based on reputation alone.