PDA

View Full Version : Optimization If you got both dual-wield Attacks with the Attack Action: Build a Character

rbstr
2017-05-18, 07:45 PM
My DM has been allowing for both primary and offhand attacks on the attack action (that is, you don't use your bonus action for the second hand). It doesn't come up that often anyway but it's clear he intends this.
I might need to roll up a new character soon, so I'm going to try and exploit it! I'd like some ideas of what to build.

Level 7 (bonus points for something that works at 6)
Only 1 UA allowed, all other books are fair game.
Stats are rolled, 16, 15, 13, 13, 10, 8
I'm kind of the main tank, it needs to have decent staying power and decent AC.

Some thoughts:
Clearly need to pick up two-weapon fighting.
Also obviously need to extra attack.
Anything that applies damage per hit is good.

Perhaps fighter1 Barb5 (bear?) - Take Dual-wielder for two-longsword raging!
Fighter1 HexbladeX - for the curse bonus damage.
Monk -...The extra unarmed attack is explicitly a bonus action, but I could fudge it with dual short swords and still bonus action unarmed for 5x attacks per round, 6x with Flurry
???

Build gets bonuses for general usefulness, not being variant human, decent average damage outside of just a nova, and being something I could fairly easily change to the standard rules if the DM recognizes his mistake.

Consensus
2017-05-18, 07:54 PM
so I'm going to try and exploit it!

Build gets bonuses for ... being something I could fairly easily change to the standard rules if the DM recognizes his mistake.

Don't exploit it while expecting he'll take the ruling back, you're just ruin it for anyone who wants to play a charter of the normal power level with the houserule

wilhelmdubdub
2017-05-19, 05:38 PM
battlemaster with two whips, take magic initiate for hex
or take setinel and tunnel fighter

Desteplo
2017-05-20, 12:13 PM
Regardless fighter 20 is best
-you get 8 attacks and there's always feats for that sort of thing
-or fighter 11 and multiclass for bonus dice like warlock for hex, or something else for enlarge (although only an extra d4)

JBPuffin
2017-05-20, 12:27 PM
Straight 20 fighter definitely. ASIs, Action Surge with Extra Attack...Gods

coredump
2017-05-20, 01:18 PM
There are some questions to be answered first.

1) Are you allowed one 'off hand attack' per attack action, or do you get one for each 'regular' attack you get.

IOW, does a 20th level fighter get 5 attacks, or 8 attacks (16 with Action Surge)?

2) Can you still use the bonus attack for another attack?

That said, I would look at a dual wielding monk. You can use the off hand weapon as part of the Attack Action, and use your feet and elbows (etc) for martial arts bonus attacks (or Flurry)

Rogue would let you get 2 attempts at SA, and still be able to Hide, etc

Valor Bard can get multiple attacks, and still give inspiration

Cleric can get two attacks, and still Healing Word

solidork
2017-05-20, 02:42 PM
I mean, are you sure you understand how this works? I would think that once you get Extra Attack you make 3 attacks and not 4. The only way to try and build around it is to just find other good uses of your freed up bonus action.

RSP
2017-05-20, 03:25 PM
Hexblade: you get Hex and Curse added to each attack, so 3 attacks at 5, while keeping BA free to start/switch targets on the abilities.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-05-21, 11:26 AM
Don't exploit it while expecting he'll take the ruling back, you're just ruin it for anyone who wants to play a charter of the normal power level with the houserule

Agree. If you optimize on this idea, it won't take long for him to realize why you aren't allowed to do that normally. Even without trying, you can get a 5th level fighter who can make 5 attacks on a normal turn and 9 attacks on an action surge. It will just make him afraid to bend rules in the future. This is how **** dms who don't allow anything are made

Mortis_Elrod
2017-05-21, 12:24 PM
Soul knife (mystic v3 ua)/ Fighter. Go fighter 11 (champion) pick up defense as your second style. You start with dope swords that are rapier's but better and you get awesome jedi powers. 8th level you get bonus damage on each attack from mystic and you can hone your blend and augment it with disciplines. Or use the giant growth discipline for more on hit damage. Action surge and boom. ALL of it. just flurry all over everyone. Make use of moving in between attacks too because you could attack everyone in a room.

Potato_Priest
2017-05-21, 12:30 PM
I'd also advise against exploitation, but if you insist, play a monk with dual shortswords. You'll be able to make 3 attacks from level 1 (2 dual wields and your bonus action unarmed), 4 from level 2 (2 dual wields and flurry of blows), and 5 from level 5 to the endgame. To ensure that you are getting your dexterity modifier on all of those attacks, take a 1 level fighter dip somewhere along the line.