PDA

View Full Version : Gnome tinkering abilities/character weapon concept

Dankus Memakus
2017-05-18, 09:57 PM
So i know the rock gnome has all the tinkering abilities so i started tossing around a concept in my brain. Play a gnome rogue with an alchemy backround and use the tinkering to make a custom weapon. A crossbow but with a little basket so it can shoot alchemists fire vials. Now would this be unreasonable for a gnome to craft? Also with alchemists fire its a d4 but should i add any more damage from being fired out of a weapon? Id really like to use the tinkering to give him some cool weapons just for flavor not really for power. If you have cool suggestions please share them as well.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-05-18, 10:42 PM
have you looked at the artificer class UA? 2 archettypes, alchemist and cannon man.

Dankus Memakus
2017-05-18, 10:44 PM
have you looked at the artificer class UA? 2 archettypes, alchemist and cannon man.

Yeah, we sadly dont use UA.

lunaticfringe
2017-05-18, 10:55 PM
Why wouldn't you just make custom bolts with alchemists fire bulbs that shatter on impact? Then you still have a crossbow when you need it.

Alchemist Fire + Bolt + Time. Acid + Bolt + Time. Holy Water + Bolt + Time. And whatever tools or checks the DM feels is relavent.

Dankus Memakus
2017-05-18, 11:10 PM
Why wouldn't you just make custom bolts with alchemists fire bulbs that shatter on impact? Then you still have a crossbow when you need it.

Alchemist Fire + Bolt + Time. Acid + Bolt + Time. Holy Water + Bolt + Time. And whatever tools or checks the DM feels is relavent.

That is a good idea that ill talk to my group about

lunaticfringe
2017-05-19, 01:47 AM
Another idea to keep with the Clockwork/Tinker theme is some sort of Spring-Loaded Flask/Potion Flinger. Perhaps as some sort of 'under barrel' mount fitted to a crossbow.

Dankus Memakus
2017-05-19, 10:12 AM
Another idea to keep with the Clockwork/Tinker theme is some sort of Spring-Loaded Flask/Potion Flinger. Perhaps as some sort of 'under barrel' mount fitted to a crossbow.

That my friend, is a great idea. Would you require the loading property on that attachment.

lunaticfringe
2017-05-19, 12:31 PM
Most likely though I think it would need some in game testing. Basically you're just adding range to Alchemy Bombs. Your probably spending gold for effect so that might be enough to dissuade bomb spamming.

I imagine the mechanism could be fairly simple. I had a ping pong ball gun that was basically just a tube with a spring in it. Pull back on lever to **** it, drop in ball, pull trigger. Didn't take any longer to load & fire than knocking & firing an arrow.

RickAllison
2017-05-19, 03:18 PM
For an under arrest launcher, I would just take inspiration from the reloading crossbow from OotA. Half the range of the crossbow, holds a single round at a time, and takes an action to reload.