PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Arcanist Arcane Reservoir filling, or add'l uses of Consume Spell

Elysiume
2017-05-19, 03:33 AM
I was looking at the Occultist archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/arcanist/archetypes/paizo-arcanist-archetypes/occultist), which features the following:

An occultist can spend 1 point from her arcane reservoir to cast summon monster I. She can cast this spell as a standard action and the summoned creatures remain for 1 minute per level (instead of 1 round per level). At 3rd level and every 2 levels thereafter, the power of this ability increases by one spell level, allowing her to summon more powerful creatures (to a maximum of summon monster IX at 17th level), at the cost of an additional point from her arcane spell reserve per spell level. An occultist cannot have more than one summon monster spell active in this way at one time. If this ability is used again, any existing summon monster immediately ends.What are some good ways to either increase or refill the pool, with or without increasing the uses of Consume Spell, in order to make the most out of this ability? I've seen the FCBs, but not much else.

Florian
2017-05-19, 07:17 AM
Hah, the occultist archetype...

The ability is a bit of a trap. The scaling cost means that you pay on a 1to1 ratio, without having any real benefit to it (beyond being a bit flexible at summoning).
The only real benefit might come from Consume Item. Looking at any AP, the amount of one-use item trash you find might actually sum up to enough points to keep powering summons.

Psyren
2017-05-19, 10:00 AM
It's useful at low levels - like a Summoner, they can get disposable pets that stick around longer than a round or two, and they have a much better list than Summoners do. Since these are the levels when an arrow or javelin are most likely to end your career early, the archetype is pretty good I'd say. The other abilities it gets are nice too, and easily worth the exploits you lose.

At higher levels I agree they get expensive in terms of AP. But at the same time, the slots you'd be spending on those summons are likely more valuable than the points. I know for instance that I'd rather spend 9 AP than lock down a 9th-level slot.