PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Monster Quest Ideas

DireSickFish
2017-05-19, 09:54 AM
Hello! I'm running a Monster game where the PC's will be playing monster races and killed on sight in towns. This means they'll need to interact with other monsters to get resources/quests/water/booze/ect. They'll be on the outs with the local tribes of orcs, goblinoids, kobolds, lizardfolk, hags, and kobolds. So they'll need to work if they want to get on any of their good side.

I'm wondering what kinds of problems they'd have that the PC's could be involved with?

JackPhoenix
2017-05-19, 10:13 AM
Adventurers going to clear out a monster lair, of course. Their lair.

nickl_2000
2017-05-19, 10:34 AM
Hello! I'm running a Monster game where the PC's will be playing monster races and killed on sight in towns. This means they'll need to interact with other monsters to get resources/quests/water/booze/ect. They'll be on the outs with the local tribes of orcs, goblinoids, kobolds, lizardfolk, hags, and kobolds. So they'll need to work if they want to get on any of their good side.

I'm wondering what kinds of problems they'd have that the PC's could be involved with?

I'm creating/running one right now. The original idea was little one shot modules that I would have around when the other DMs weren't around. However, it is starting to develop an overarching story and goal. Feel free to take a look and steal, borrow, or use whatever you like. I've made a lot of notes in there of things I want to do in the future, so you will have to ignore those. Also, I'm not using XP at all, the PCs get levels when it makes sense storywise. If you look at the file "Monster Module Setup" you can see my starting rules as well as the storylines I plan on using.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Rf5npwkmpLdmNZQURMNm0xdms
I believe that this link should let you see everything, but if it doesn't let me know and I can give individual links to each file.

Note 1: I'm also open to critique as well, but be nice since this is my first module and first time DMing.
Note 2: I've run module 1 which went pretty decently, but if you are planning on running it change the second floor. There were too many empty room/barred doors and it would need to be modified to play better

the_brazenburn
2017-05-19, 10:37 AM
Lizardfolk are TN. Unless the PCs have already upset them somehow, they'd be willing to trade food, equipment, and information for the pretty shinies. A hag would be willing to cut a deal with anybody in exchange for their souls/life essence/beauty/voice (if you're in the Little Mermaid). Most goblins would be desperate to trade for the pretty shinies, if they weren't semi-enslaved by hobgoblins and bugbears. For quest ideas, what about joining a neutral/good-aligned tribe of (insert monstrous race) and save a nearby village from a horrible threat. Become heroes. Now you can run normal campaign.

DireSickFish
2017-05-19, 10:48 AM
Lizardfolk are TN. Unless the PCs have already upset them somehow, they'd be willing to trade food, equipment, and information for the pretty shinies. A hag would be willing to cut a deal with anybody in exchange for their souls/life essence/beauty/voice (if you're in the Little Mermaid). Most goblins would be desperate to trade for the pretty shinies, if they weren't semi-enslaved by hobgoblins and bugbears. For quest ideas, what about joining a neutral/good-aligned tribe of (insert monstrous race) and save a nearby village from a horrible threat. Become heroes. Now you can run normal campaign.

Backstory for the characters are going to leave them on the outs with most the other tribes. And the ones they aren't on the outs with are naturally inclined to not trust members of different races.

The biggest threat is that the Gnomes have dammed up the river. And it's summer and hasn't rained in a while. So there's not enough water to go around for everyone. Getting a reliable source of water by befriending or killing a tribe is going to be the crux of their first session. So I want problems the PCs could help solve if they went the diplomat route.

And the players are free to try and befriend the town of gnomes and become "normal" people if they want. But it's not going to be easy overcoming their prejudices.

the_brazenburn
2017-09-29, 07:52 AM
What if you put a lizardfolk-populated swamp downstream from the dammed river? The lizardfolk, angry at their drying homeland, are prepared to go to war with the gnomes, while the PCs have to renegotiate peace.

Ronnocius
2017-09-29, 08:20 PM
I had a sense of deja vu for a second, then I realized how old this was and that I had seen it before :smallamused:
The monsters could have the same problems as "good" civilizations... bandits, conflict with neighbors, power vacuum after a death etc.
In a goblin camp there could be a barghest.