PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PF - Transported to Golarion, How Does One Get Home?

unseenmage
2017-05-19, 12:32 PM
I know basically how to return to my own time and place from Faerun and generic 3.x universe, but I realized I've no clue how one escapes Golarion if one were to be transported there.

Assume anything official is available, anything canon is real enough to work with, and 3rd party stuff exists but in its own separate campaign setting/universe.

You get one class level of your choice upon awakening including class ability dependent items and WBL, your body is repaired to normal healthful function, and you arrive in the time and place you're most familiar with (Numeria, town of Torch for me).

How do you get home to your loved ones, favorite food, unfinished netflix series, or preordered game if you're magically transported to Golarion?

Gildedragon
2017-05-19, 12:45 PM
Which Golarion? Dnd 3.5 Golarion or Pathfinder System Golarion?
Possible ways back:
Build towards getting Wish
Work towards passing the test of the starstone
Finding guides through the plane of Shadow

digiman619
2017-05-19, 12:45 PM
Well, the closest canonical thing to that would be interplanetary teleport (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/interplanetary-teleport). as it will it "functions as teleport, except there is truly no range limit", but it's a 9th level spell and "interdimentional transport" might technically be beyond its scope. On the plus side though, if you know exactly where you want to do, it will teleport you directly there without fail. Plane shift might also concievably work, but it's a bit more limited.

legomaster00156
2017-05-19, 12:48 PM
It is confirmed that Earth exists somewhere within Golarion's universe, meaning any means of going vast distances will work if you know where it is.
The only known, canonical way to reach it is the use of Baba Yaga's Dancing Hut, which is how you reach it in Book 5 of RoW.

unseenmage
2017-05-19, 01:49 PM
Please do tell me more of this hut and how one obtains it.

legomaster00156
2017-05-19, 01:58 PM
Mechanical details about the Dancing Hut can be found here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/artifacts/major-artifacts/dancing-hut-of-baba-yaga/), and you can learn more throughout the Reign of Winter adventure path.

digiman619
2017-05-19, 02:08 PM
Though technically, the dancing hut will take you back to 1916. I have no idea on how you'll be able to jump ahead a hundred years, but at least it'll be Earth.

Malroth
2017-05-19, 02:14 PM
Quintessence yourself and have a golem programmed to free you in 100 years?

Coidzor
2017-05-19, 02:47 PM
If you make a command word item of Cyclic Reincarnation and have a cadre of minions that are loyal to you even after you die and come back from the dead, it's a matter of some Forgery and/or mind control magic to continually come back as your own child. Or you could also do it if one of your minions has Wish.

If you're a high enough level Wizard you could just choose Immortality as an Arcane Discovery.

Florian
2017-05-19, 02:47 PM
Now that the full Lovecraft canon is integrated with PF, thereīre actually multiple ways to do it.

(I wonīt spoiler/or go into details on Horror Adventures, Horror Realms and the Strange Aeons AP)

The two main problems are not the means of transportation, but 1) getting the coordinates and 2) doing it fast (and maybe 3) getting there to the right point in time, see dancing hut of Baba Yaga where each portal is set to an exact point in space and time).

Because of the Mythos, we actually know that the Dark Tapestry, Astral and Dream would connect Earth to Golarion, as well as shortcuts across Leng.

So, Step 1, get a working copy of the Necronomicon. Thatīd mean initiating a dream quest occult ritual to get in touch with the shade of Alhazred, but thatīs manageable.

We now have the means to pull major-league stuff off, so itīs time to get in touch with a Black Ship to get our hands at a Dark Grimoire and some Rubies of Leng.

Now the next part depends a bit. We need a location (or route) to determine which method is best. Weīve located a Black Ship, we have some Denizens of Leng at hand and the means to force them, so letīs find out.

At that point, Iīd go for the "scenic route", using the Dimension of Dream. Ok, I think Iīll end up in Boston, but thatīs manageable.

So, maybe start as a lvl 1 Human Occultist, end as a lvl 5 Occultist, might take around a month.

Zanos
2017-05-19, 02:49 PM
So, Step 1, get a working copy of the Necronomicon.
I like where this is going.

Florian
2017-05-19, 03:01 PM
I like where this is going.

Edit: Sorry, donīt say anything on that due to the mentioned spoiler reasons.

Gildedragon
2017-05-19, 03:10 PM

Any plan that starts with "Sooo we need to get the Necronomicon" is nothing short of fantastic.
I'd not be able to NOPE fast enough from that teamup though.

Florian
2017-05-19, 03:20 PM
Any plan that starts with "Sooo we need to get the Necronomicon" is nothing short of fantastic.
I'd not be able to NOPE fast enough from that teamup though.

It is a spellbook, it is designed to function on a non-caster world like Earth (or the homewold of Divinity, for those knowing the Iron Gods AP), it is fully flashed out, as is the route to obtaining it, which is incidentally based on some of Lovecrafts works, so anyone of us knowing those, can make it work. That enough?

Edit: I donīt want to go deeper into the details, as it has not shown up on Nethys or D20PFSRD so far.

Zanos
2017-05-19, 03:31 PM
Just making a joke about how everything in Lovecraft's works tends to go swimmingly after the Necronomicon gets involved.

Psyren
2017-05-19, 03:37 PM
Any reason Wish and Gate wouldn't work? (Or if as others have said our very own Earth is in Golarion's dimension, IPT should work fine.)

Finding someone who can cast those and earning their favor would then be an adventure in itself. (Inner Sea Magic has several candidates.)

Florian
2017-05-19, 03:51 PM
@Psyren:

Based on Iron Gods and Strange Aeons, we know that some regions of the Prime Material are low to no magic and more or less cut of from the planes, with some planes working.

So the question rather is what to use to get there, especially when taking about a no magic destination.

The_Jette
2017-05-19, 04:15 PM
Click your heels together while saying "There's no place like home" three times.

digiman619
2017-05-19, 05:06 PM
Click your heels together while saying "There's no place like home" three times.

That only worked because she was wearing The Ruby Slippers of Oz without knowing it

Psyren
2017-05-19, 05:09 PM
@Psyren:

Based on Iron Gods and Strange Aeons, we know that some regions of the Prime Material are low to no magic and more or less cut of from the planes, with some planes working.

So the question rather is what to use to get there, especially when taking about a no magic destination.

OP just wanted to "escape Golarion" though, so I didn't think two-way travel was a concern.

unseenmage
2017-05-20, 07:58 AM
Thank you everyone.

I know that I knew most of what's been replied with at some point or another but I'd forgotten what I thought I knew so thanks for helping me to re-know the things I think I thought I knew. :smallsmile:

More seriously, the Baba Yaga's Hut info is kinda scattered all over. I never did figure out what keys get one to Earth though.

One more question, is the Earth depicted in Rasputin Must Die non-canon or an alternate timeline Earth or just the PF version of events?

Florian
2017-05-20, 08:02 AM
Rasputin must Die is especially called out to be "Alternative Timeline Earth".

khadgar567
2017-05-20, 08:05 AM
in pathfinder returning earth in much much easier since thanks to star finder and gap we can take long road to find earth starting from the 1st level just grab a space ship punch were the milky sput galaxy are and you are kinda in the home turf already its costly but its most easiest way to return from journey with enough material to either kick start space age industrial revolution or start world war three with major advantage on your faction

Sayt
2017-05-20, 06:27 PM
Rasputin must Die is especially called out to be "Alternative Timeline Earth".

I believe each AP is an 'alternative timeline' on Golarion, in fact.

But yeah, Golarion's 'Present Day' is about 100 years behind our own. And you could buy a casting of Interplanetary Teleport from an 18th+ level wizard. Finding such a wizard and getting him on your side may be an adventure of it's own.

Arbane
2017-05-20, 07:38 PM
Just making a joke about how everything in Lovecraft's works tends to go swimmingly after the Necronomicon gets involved.

The Call of Cthulhu RPG tends to exaggerate how terrible it is. IIRC, reading the Necronomicon gave the heroes of The Dunwich Horror the info they needed to beat the uglier Whately brother.

Coidzor
2017-05-20, 08:38 PM
So, going off of the Forgotten Realms/Faerun thread...

What's the way to reach high level relatively safely?

I believe using rat breeding to get up to level 7 or 8 from level 1 is still an option.

The Druid Spell "Call Animal" isn't too expensive to get access to with magic items and can make a fight come to you. Or breeding stock for a DIY dungeon. Land-based animals max out around CR 12 for the Diplodocus dinosaur and Aquatic ones max out around CR 14 for the Great White Whale. Most areas I'd say would probably only really yield maybe CR 5 to 7 creatures though.

Waxwork Creature constructs are relatively cheap and cannot be killed without Fire damage, so Animals essentially cannot win against them.

unseenmage
2017-05-20, 09:45 PM
Downtime rules (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCampaign/downtime/downtimeActivities.html), Earn XP could be our safest route. Though I suspect it to be slower than xp farming.

If you've missed a campaign session or otherwise fallen behind in XP compared to the other characters, you can spend downtime adventuring to help catch up to the other PCs. Usually downtime adventures feature encounters that are much easier than you'd normally expect as part of a group. For example, a 5th-level character might clear zombies out of a crypt or assist some lower-level adventures with a problem that's a little too difficult for them.

Spending 1 day of downtime adventuring earns you XP as if you had defeated an opponent whose CR was equal to your character level. For example, if you are a 3rd-level character, you would earn 800 XP. You do not earn any treasure or other capital for downtime adventuring.

If using this downtime activity would increase your XP above the highest XP value among all the PCs in your party, it increases your XP to that value instead; any XP earned beyond this amount is lost. This activity allows you only to catch up, not to get ahead.

Sagetim
2017-05-20, 10:33 PM
So, going off of the Forgotten Realms/Faerun thread...

I believe using rat breeding to get up to level 7 or 8 from level 1 is still an option.

The Druid Spell "Call Animal" isn't too expensive to get access to with magic items and can make a fight come to you. Or breeding stock for a DIY dungeon. Land-based animals max out around CR 12 for the Diplodocus dinosaur and Aquatic ones max out around CR 14 for the Great White Whale. Most areas I'd say would probably only really yield maybe CR 5 to 7 creatures though.

Waxwork Creature constructs are relatively cheap and cannot be killed without Fire damage, so Animals essentially cannot win against them.

As far as I'm aware, there's no phase out for gaining xp from enemies. As such, you could technically breed up rats and kill them for xp until you hit 20. Along the way, if you had some means of obtaining the money to do so, you could also potentially research a spell that literally just bombs out an entire sewer system and leaves it cleaned as per prestidigitation without damaging the structure, then go around making xp and money by using it to kill everything lurking in various town's sewers. Otyughs are bound to give you better xp than rats.

digiman619
2017-05-20, 10:51 PM
As far as I'm aware, there's no phase out for gaining xp from enemies. As such, you could technically breed up rats and kill them for xp until you hit 20. Along the way, if you had some means of obtaining the money to do so, you could also potentially research a spell that literally just bombs out an entire sewer system and leaves it cleaned as per prestidigitation without damaging the structure, then go around making xp and money by using it to kill everything lurking in various town's sewers. Otyughs are bound to give you better xp than rats.

HD-8 is when they stop giving you any XP.

Coidzor
2017-05-21, 01:43 AM
Downtime rules (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCampaign/downtime/downtimeActivities.html), Earn XP could be our safest route. Though I suspect it to be slower than xp farming.

If you've missed a campaign session or otherwise fallen behind in XP compared to the other characters, you can spend downtime adventuring to help catch up to the other PCs. Usually downtime adventures feature encounters that are much easier than you'd normally expect as part of a group. For example, a 5th-level character might clear zombies out of a crypt or assist some lower-level adventures with a problem that's a little too difficult for them.

Spending 1 day of downtime adventuring earns you XP as if you had defeated an opponent whose CR was equal to your character level. For example, if you are a 3rd-level character, you would earn 800 XP. You do not earn any treasure or other capital for downtime adventuring.

If using this downtime activity would increase your XP above the highest XP value among all the PCs in your party, it increases your XP to that value instead; any XP earned beyond this amount is lost. This activity allows you only to catch up, not to get ahead.

So the question then becomes, how to make good enough friends with a higher level NPC to count as a member of their party and to catch up with Earning XP before being in a party with them subjects one's self to undue risk.

I think.

HD-8 is when they stop giving you any XP.

So one could get up to level 6 fighting Rats, then?

Then one could get up to level 7 fighting goats. Level 8 from ponies or 9 from light horses or 10 from heavy horses. Then 12 from punching out cows.

Florian
2017-05-21, 09:42 AM

Go to a library.

You gain XP (and a lot of useful knowledge) by researching stuff.

Engage in verbal duels.

All the combat XP, none of the bloodshed.

Join a faction that looks positively on those activities (See Faction Guide)

unseenmage
2017-05-21, 09:56 AM
So the question then becomes, how to make good enough friends with a higher level NPC to count as a member of their party and to catch up with Earning XP before being in a party with them subjects one's self to undue risk.

I think.

I think so too. All monsters are technically playable in PF as characters of an ECL equal to their CR IIRC.
One could theoretically 'party up' with a called or created minion. In which case the question becomes, does that minion have to be free- willed or not?

Additionally, one assumes Diplomancy to still work just fime in PF-verse. Theoretically, pumping up our diplomacy rolls could get us into a group of pretty high ECL.

Go to a library.

You gain XP (and a lot of useful knowledge) by researching stuff.

I'm unfamiliar with this? Did I miss it in the downtime section or is somewhere else?

Florian
2017-05-21, 10:00 AM
I'm unfamiliar with this? Did I miss it in the downtime section or is somewhere else?

Ultimate Intrigue.