PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Advanced Occult Slayer

TotallyNotEvil
2017-05-19, 12:57 PM
Hello there,

I'd like to ask for some help from the esteemed Brewers around here. In an ASOIAF/D&D campaign, we have a sworn sword in our retinue, an exiled Knight, whom has been inordinately good at kicking ass and taking names, an evolved to PC status.

His current build is Fighter 4/Feat Rogue 1/ Occult Slayey 3.

We've slightly modded the Occult Slayer, some minor boosts in daily use and such, but after this latest battle, he is all but assured to get to 9th, and maybe even 10th in one go.

His theme is sort of being that one guys who somehow manages to perform in a party full of casters, by applying enough Sword. So a fast-tracked casting class is out for him.

Keeping with more subtle abilities, like the Spell Turning from Occult Slayer, in a sort of "I'm just that good" theme, would be ideal. "Mundane as a rock" is how he described his family's lineage.

Now, he is penciled in for your regularly scheduled Shock Trooper, finishing the usual Leap Attack build (sans Pounce, not really a barbarian, that one).

Things I thought would be interesting to include:
- True Seeing: He has recently almost died to an invisible foe in an area that suppressed most lower level divinations.
- Some manner of flight: Preferably the "step on air" instead of the "fly" variant. "I've jumped up and somehow not come down".
- Mettle: He has been bit, burnt and battered by just about anything and everything.
- 10ft step: Because melees deserve something nice. Also, more viable for a non-pounce leap attacker.

Keep in mind this is a very low-equipment campaign, which is why I'm thinking about covering those holes with class abilities.

Another option would be taking the more "mundane" disciplines in ToB for a ten level class, I'm not sure about it tho. Even if I personally like it, maneuvers seem to be something on would have to go to the ass-end of the setting to learn. Which is why he isn't a Warblade yet.

Thank you.

Westhart
2017-05-19, 01:32 PM
Hello there,

I'd like to ask for some help from the esteemed Brewers around here. In an ASOIAF/D&D campaign, we have a sworn sword in our retinue, an exiled Knight, whom has been inordinately good at kicking ass and taking names, an evolved to PC status.

His current build is Fighter 4/Feat Rogue 1/ Occult Slaye[r] 3.

We've slightly modded the Occult Slayer, some minor boosts in daily use and such, but after this latest battle, he is all but assured to get to 9th, and maybe even 10th in one go.

His theme is sort of being that one guys who somehow manages to perform in a party full of casters, by applying enough Sword. So a fast-tracked casting class is out for him.

Keeping with more subtle abilities, like the Spell Turning from Occult Slayer, in a sort of "I'm just that good" theme, would be ideal. "Mundane as a rock" is how he described his family's lineage.

Now, he is penciled in for your regularly scheduled Shock Trooper, finishing the usual Leap Attack build (sans Pounce, not really a barbarian, that one).

Things I thought would be interesting to include:
- True Seeing: He has recently almost died to an invisible foe in an area that suppressed most lower level divinations.
- Some manner of flight: Preferably the "step on air" instead of the "fly" variant. "I've jumped up and somehow not come down".
- Mettle: He has been bit, burnt and battered by just about anything and everything.
- 10ft step: Because melees deserve something nice. Also, more viable for a non-pounce leap attacker.

Keep in mind this is a very low-equipment campaign, which is why I'm thinking about covering those holes with class abilities.

Another option would be taking the more "mundane" disciplines in ToB for a ten level class, I'm not sure about it tho. Even if I personally like it, maneuvers seem to be something on would have to go to the ass-end of the setting to learn. Which is why he isn't a Warblade yet.

Thank you.

So, unsure here, are you requesting something homebrewed for him or a piece of homebrew that might be good? If a request, I can brew up some type of template real quick (tonight) obtained from the spell casting energy from all the spellcasters he kills or something along those lines. If a class, I do not know of one that gives all those, alhthough I *might* be able to throw a PrC before I go on vacation together.

EDIT: And in my opinion maneuvers are not that bad to learn, if you have the book... I am working on trying to figure out truenaming :smalltongue:

TotallyNotEvil
2017-05-19, 05:21 PM
Ah yes, I'd like either for some help brewing a 5-to-10 level PrC, or suggestions of already brewed material.

Elements from PF are also allowed.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love me some ToB, it's a setting specific problem, we'd need to go way, way out there for him to be able to learn it normally.

Now, could something using Ex, or the least flashy Su maneuvers work?

Westhart
2017-05-22, 06:55 AM
well, possibly soon I will have something for you then, basically master blade user...
Post it ~1 ish, US eastern coastal time
Need to finish it

Westhart
2017-05-22, 11:49 AM
Unfortunately some things came up and I could not put as much into it as I hoped... so I combined my elemental warrior idea I was toying with and a mind blade (non psion) idea I was messing with and got this:
Sorry I did not have time to table and all the fancy formatting. Nor did I get the skills, or finish the capstone... Sorry about that, things are rather hectic atm.

The Blade

The Blade awakens extoradinary powers within his weapons. From his focus he has awaken otherabilities, some for defense and others for increased mobility. Few will fight a blade armed with one of his chosen weeapons.
Hit Die: d8
Skill Points per level: 6+Int
Requirements:

BAB +5
Weapon Focus
Profieciency With simple and martial weapons, light and medium armor profieciency.

Table: The Blade
1 Weapon Focus, Blade Connection
2 Blade Ability, Mettle
3 Weapon Focus, Water Stride
4 Blade Ability
5 Weapon Focus, Air Walk
6 Armor Mastery, Blade Ability
7 Weapon Focus, Step of the Flames
8 Blade Ability, Sight of Steel
9 Weapon Focus
10 Blade Ability, Master of the Blade

Chosen Blade: Several of the Blade's Class features refer to his chosen blade (or weapons), which is simply any weapon with which he has weapon focus. Thus when he gains weapon focus as part of his class levels that weapon becomes a chosen blade. Blades are not to be interpreted as literally "Blades".

Weapon Focus: The Blade Gains Weapon Focus with a weapon that he is proficient in the use of. At every other level he gains this again, but it may not be trained out for other feats.

This is to avoid somebody retraining to get a bunch of bonus feats on top of the normal.

Blade Connection: As a free action the Blade mmay call an unattended weapon to his hand if it is within 30'. If he wishes he may make a special "disarm" action to snatch an attended one. He adds his BAB and Intelligence modifier together to determine a DC that the person with the weapon ust ake a reflex save to avoid losing it. If one of the Blade's chosen weapons include natural attacks or unarmed strike he can not take tose, along with any weapon that is part of a creature.

Not sure on the DC for this one, but think I have the comical "I take his hand" cut out.

Blade Ability: As the Blade becomes more and more attuned to his chosen weapons he gains special abilities. Most of these abilities can only be taken once, and are extroadinary in nature unless stated otherwise.

Know Where To Hit: When Wielding a chosen weapon the threat range is doubled. This stacks with keen and other effects. (Keep in mind that 2 x2 is an x3 and so on)
Defensive Blade: The Blade knows how to defend with his chosen weapons. He gains a shield bonus to AC eqaul to 1/2 his class level (Minimum 1) while wielding a Chosen Blade.
Parry: The Blade has learned the hard way that deflecting an attack is oft better then being hit. He may attempt to parry an attack aimed at him a number of times equal to 1/3 his level (Minimum 1). To do so he makes an opposing attack roll against the incoming attack, and if his is higher the attack is parried. (It misses him)
Deadly Strikes: The Chosen weapon of the blade has its critical multiplier increased by one.
Knock Back: While using a chosen weapon the blade can use a standard action tohat knocks whoever he attacks back a distance equal to his level*10. A reflex save (DC: 10+1/2 level+Damage Dealt) cuts this distance in half.
Wide Swing: By taking a -4 penlaty to his attack roll the Blade may attack all creatures in 3 adjacent squares (He has to have reach to the squares, and each square has to be adjacent to eachother). He can make a full attack this way, and all penalties apply until the beginning of his next turn.

Mettle: A blade can resist magical and unusual attacks with great willpower or fortitude. If he makes a successful Will or Fortitude save against an attack that normally would have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as any spell with a saving throw entry of Will half or Fortitude partial), he instead completely negates the effect. An unconscious or sleeping blade does not gain the benefit of mettle.

Armor Mastery: The Blade's experience has helped him adapt to armor. When wearing an armor that he is proficeint with he ignores the ACP, and Max Dex.

Thinking Add 1/2 level to Max dexterity and reduce ACP by the same... As is seems rather OP, but then is meant to help out a fighter mage slayer type...

Water Striding (Sp): The Blade is so attune with himself that he may walk on water per the spell water walk while wielding a chosen weapon.

Air Walk (Sp): The Blade's understanding of the basic structure of most materials has actually focused his mind to the point that he always benefits from air walk (as the spell)

Step of the Flames (Su): The Land Speed of the Mind Blade is increased by 10*1/2 level. In addition he leaves a trail of flames in his path that lasts for 2d4 rounds after he leaves a square. This deals 1d4 fire damage per level, half of Which overcomes fire resistances or immunities. At 10th his trail becomes primordial fire, overcoming any immunities or resistances to fire, and dealing 2d6 damage per level instead of 1d4. He may turn off this ability as a free action, and toggle it the same way.

Sight of Steel (Sp): Through constant insight the blade has managed to awake in himself a "third eye". He is constantly under the effect of a true seeing spell.

Like I said, not the best and was put together rather quickly... feel free to adapt if you want, it does need more blade abilities... Also some of the fluff *may* not work as it was 2 combined classes... hope it helps...