PDA

View Full Version : (Negative) LA in Epic-Level Handbook, etc. and CR of epic monsters in general?

Schattenbach
2017-05-19, 01:05 PM
Several creatures found in the Epic level handbook are (as far as the table with their ECL is concerned) listed with negative LA (its not outright stated ... but there are a few cases that come close to likes of the CR30 Antropal with its 66 Hd and listed ECL of 44 ... the Antropal is still quite the bad deal, I guess, but at least that makes it - eventually - playable or useable as somewhat important NPC ... the Uvuudaum - as generic "lords of the Far Realm"-species and poster creature for the far realm as far as the Manuel of the Planes was concerned - is somewhat less extreme with its 38 HD and listed ECL of 30 which is actually pretty close to its supposed CR of 27 and its stats and SLAs aren't particulary bad) while others at least get away with LA +0 (they're often way too weak for all those HD they have, anyway). There's also a list with ECLs for Monster Manual creatures (the Epic Leadership one) but that was, as far as I could tell, was updated and the ECL increased through the roof (so suddenly, Ancient Silver dragons suffer from +8 LA, etc. ... though epic dragons and further advanced great wyrms still have LA +0 as far as I could tell).

What I'm wondering about is if there was some other update for the creatures listed in the Epic Level Handbook as well as to how to best handle the LA of various epic monsters (dragons beyond the younger age categories, apex creatures like Solars, etc.) when making them playable (and when using them in a setting where ECL matters for NPCs, too).

Has someone some helpful ideas about this or otherwise some advice to offer?

Thanks in advance.