PDA

View Full Version : Making Weapons

Dmdork
2017-05-19, 05:52 PM
Can a player character make weapons? My player wants to put a reach spear on the end of a heavy crossbow, so that he can switch to melee and ranged at a moments notice. What would be the logistics of that? Downtime? A forge? Tools? proficientcies? I try to endulge my players sometimes and need a little direction, since 5th edition is a little light on the rules.

The player also wants to get a cart/wagon and attach a crossbow to it, so possibly others can man it. Building stuff like this seems fun, I just gotta make sure it doesn't take too much of my time, as I have a campaign to run...

pwykersotz
2017-05-19, 06:08 PM
I use this currently. It hybridizes in some Dungeon World mechanics, but I think they work in this case. It can be converted to d20 easily enough. Just replace 2d6 with d20, replace 13+ with the DC of your choice, and replace 10-12 with a 5 point range under the DC (so if the DC is 15, the range would be 10-14).

To craft an item, you must have possession of the necessary materials and tools. Crafting an item also takes time, and the amount is highly dependant on the item. A simple ring of brass and a mithril ring are vastly different items, as are a wagon wheel and a barrel. In general, the time will be estimated based on the difficulty of shaping the materials, the size of the creation, and the complexity of the product. The time is decided upon prior to rolling and should represent the amount of expected time to create an unremarkable but properly crafted version of the object. No reliable general times can exist for all objects of different size and complexity with relation to available tools and materials, so GM and player must use their best judgement. The material cost is at the DM’s discretion, but as a general rule an item can be crafted for half the price listed in the PHB, barring outside factors.

If you have the prerequisites met, make a craft roll by rolling 2d6, adding your proficiency bonus if you are proficient with the tools. On a 13+ you have succeeded wildly and may choose one from the list of [Quickly, Cheaply, Well]. Those desiring a second list option may choose one by sacrificing the third. On a 10-12, you succeed with no greater effect, and if you desire, you may choose one from the list by sacrificing the other two. On a 9 or less, you make a flawed item.

Quickly
An item that was produced quickly is made in half the expected time with no drawback in quality. If this is sacrificed, it instead doubles the expected creation time. If the time cannot be provided, creation fails.

Cheaply
An item produced cheaply cost only half as much as expected to create with no drawback in quality. If this is sacrificed, it instead doubles the expected cost. If the cost cannot be met, creation fails.

Well
An item produced well is of high quality and has advantage against being broken, unexpected potency or is otherwise exceptional. If this is sacrificed, the item is flawed.

Flawed
An item that is flawed is prone to breaking apart, having reduced potency, or being otherwise clumsy to use or insufficient to perform its basic function. On the first use of a flawed item, roll another craft check with the modifier of the crafter. On a success, the item functions at reduced capacity. On a partial success, the item fails to function entirely, possibly breaking. On a failure, the item also causes injury in an appropriate way. Whichever is the case, the flaw remains with the item thereafter, impacting all future use.

Edit: As far as the crossbow spear, that depends on you and your campaign if you want to allow something like that. I think that such a thing sounds clumsy, but it might be fun.

LordCdrMilitant
2017-05-19, 07:21 PM
So, a bayonet, basically.

If they can explain to me how the weapon is built and how they use it in all of its intended usage modes, and it makes sense, then I'll allow it.

Crossbow cart doesn't sound egregious at all, but I might hesitate giving the crossbow bayonet reach.

xen
2017-05-19, 09:04 PM
Spear on a crossbow would work, I guess, but it seems to me it would cause the balance to be off when used as a spear. Disadvantage maybe?

For that matter, depending on the length of the spear the balance might be off when using as a crossbow.

How about a shortsword on a crossbow instead? More reasonable as a bayonet and seems like it might actually be usable.

suplee215
2017-05-19, 09:26 PM
Crossbow cart makes sense. I believe it is basically a ballista which existed for long times. Might want to require someone to have land vechile proficiency to use it but other than that.

Naez
2017-05-19, 09:26 PM
Well attaching a bayonet to a crossbow sounds reasonable but the reach sounds like the part that I just don't understand how you could justify it.

That being said if you want to use 3.5 precedent there was a crossbow bayonet. there were 2 types, one that counted as a shortspear and one that counted as a regular spear, but they took a penalty to attacking with it and it could not be thrown. Given it was a rather minor penalty, disadvantage is much too heavy a penalty so I'd go with just ignoring it.

As for rules, Player's Handbook, Downtime Activities, Crafting, page 187.

NinaWu
2017-05-19, 09:38 PM
Perhaps an INV check to actually be able to devise a way to create it.
I'd be cautious giving it reach. Why would you need reach for an already ranged weapon?

LordCdrMilitant
2017-05-19, 09:42 PM
Carroballistae were used by the Romans, and were basically a light ballista on a wagon if I remember.

Laserlight
2017-05-19, 11:13 PM
I could maybe see putting a dagger (non-finesse) on a crossbow, but not a spear. Typically you put the front of the bow on the ground to pull the string back.