PDA

View Full Version : The Witcher - Adapted For Netflix TV Series

Olinser
2017-05-19, 06:09 PM
So, apparently Netflix is going to make a new live-action TV Series based on The Witcher.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/05/17/rejoice-netflix-is-making-a-live-action-the-witcher-tv-series/#698548aa5507

I'm not sure how I feel about this, although it does sound like they are making a movie based on the original books that inspired the video games, rather than adapting the video games themselves.

Other thoughts from people on the good/bad of this?

Blackhawk748
2017-05-19, 07:19 PM
Netflix has a pretty solid track record of not bungling things (see Marco Polo, that totally could have sucked) so i think they will do ok.

Morty
2017-05-19, 07:31 PM
It can't possibly be worse than the first Witcher TV series.

In seriousness, yes, the series will be based on the novels, not games. All of them, apparently. Which is curious, since the first two are collections of loosely-connected stories, and the other five are a saga with a single story. We don't really know anything, other than that it'll happen.

Olinser
2017-05-19, 08:11 PM

In seriousness, yes, the series will be based on the novels, not games. All of them, apparently. Which is curious, since the first two are collections of loosely-connected stories, and the other five are a saga with a single story. We don't really know anything, other than that it'll happen.

Well, yeah, but that's not a high bar considering it was a low-budget Polish TV series.

Vitruviansquid
2017-05-20, 12:49 AM
I'm excited in the sense that The Witcher's gritty tone is up my alley and Netflix Originals tend not to suck as far as I know.

But that's about it.

Not exactly expecting this show to be as good as the Witcher games.

factotum
2017-05-20, 03:08 AM
Which is curious, since the first two are collections of loosely-connected stories, and the other five are a saga with a single story. We don't really know anything, other than that it'll happen.

Game of Thrones is also a series of books with a single story, and that seemed to work OK transitioning to TV. Have to confess that I've never actually read the novels, I only know the Witcher from the games, so I'm probably not best placed to say how this will go--I do wonder if it's Netflix's attempt to compete with GoT, though, so will perforce contain lots of gore and sex?

(Also, shouldn't this be in Media Discussions, since it's apparently not linked to the games?).

Rodin
2017-05-20, 04:23 AM
Netflix has a pretty solid track record of not bungling things (see Marco Polo, that totally could have sucked) so i think they will do ok.

Counterpoint: Adam Sandler movies.

Winthur
2017-05-20, 04:37 AM

Which was better entertainment than the novels that weren't the short stories.

I mostly can't wait for Sapkowski to call the fans of the new TV series utter morons the moment that this becomes a hit.

Blackhawk748
2017-05-20, 08:49 AM
Counterpoint: Adam Sandler movies.

I dont think you can blame Netflix for that, the Ridiculous 6 was a fairly standard Sandler movie. Which means it did really well cuz of Sandler. I thought it was ok. Not as good as Happy Gi,more or his better ones, but id say it was a bit better than his other movies. Plus it was a comedy Western and we dot get many of those.

Keltest
2017-05-20, 08:55 AM

I mostly can't wait for Sapkowski to call the fans of the new TV series utter morons the moment that this becomes a hit.

I heard he was consulting with them on the show or movie or whatever it is theyre making. At the very least, that seems to suggest that he doesn't think this is a terrible idea.

Morty
2017-05-20, 08:55 AM
Well, yeah, but that's not a high bar considering it was a low-budget Polish TV series.

I know. I've seen it, and haven't forgotten it, despite trying.

Game of Thrones is also a series of books with a single story, and that seemed to work OK transitioning to TV. Have to confess that I've never actually read the novels, I only know the Witcher from the games, so I'm probably not best placed to say how this will go--I do wonder if it's Netflix's attempt to compete with GoT, though, so will perforce contain lots of gore and sex?

(Also, shouldn't this be in Media Discussions, since it's apparently not linked to the games?).

What I meant was how they'll handle the transition between loosely-connected stories and a single, long... and honestly convoluted narrative.

I think he's more directly involved with the series than he was with games (where his involvement was limited to taking the money). But that can mean a lot of things.