PDA

View Full Version : Warforged: Can they play a Wind insturment?

MaxMAnAtArms
2017-05-20, 06:08 AM
So i was messing with my DM about a Bard Warforged Who played the bag pipes or some other "annoying" insturment.

But I remembered they dont "breathe" per say.

Can a warforged "breathe" to play a Wind insturment? Flute/Bagpipe/ocarana/etc etc?

Im not going to be a bard warforged. (was joking with the DM) But I'm going to be one who might have a wind insturment as a "hobby" to pass time by etc.

Edit:

By all i can see. RAW says yes. That's enough for me. Even if it may be derpy and funny. Thank you all.

Kaje
2017-05-20, 06:37 AM
There's nothing to say they can't. Surely a construct can have some sort of air bladder built in.

MaxMAnAtArms
2017-05-20, 06:41 AM
I'm sure they they could. but Im seeing mostly for the fact Im going to be having Perfrom Wind insturment and wanted to use a steel Flute. Fluff with a useage. I.e Blunt beating stick i can play a juanty tune with after.

Anything that would prevent a warforged from being able to Play it by RAW?

IcarusWulfe
2017-05-20, 09:00 AM
Install bellows into the warforged's body? Though then you have the problem of how to pump the bellows while still playing.....

Keltest
2017-05-20, 09:17 AM
I'm sure they they could. but Im seeing mostly for the fact Im going to be having Perfrom Wind insturment and wanted to use a steel Flute. Fluff with a useage. I.e Blunt beating stick i can play a juanty tune with after.

Anything that would prevent a warforged from being able to Play it by RAW?

Besides the fact that you just took a hollow metal tube with holes in it and smacked it against a presumably hard surface repeatedly with great force?

Inevitability
2017-05-20, 10:01 AM
They can talk, which means they have some means of expelling air from their body in a controlled fashion. I imagine it'd be possible to play a wind instrument in a similar way.

DarkSoul
2017-05-20, 10:03 AM
It's possible that they simply have an air pumping mechanism of some kind installed for situations like this (speaking, singing, playing wind instruments). If so, they'd likely be able to hold notes indefinitely, while creatures with lungs are limited by their air capacity.

Also, it's "per se". Pet peeve as a result of being older than the internet, sorry. :)

Gildedragon
2017-05-20, 10:04 AM
Yes they can. Not good (I'm looking at you Cha penalty) but they most definitely can

Jay R
2017-05-20, 10:22 AM
They can talk, which means they have some means of expelling air from their body in a controlled fashion. I imagine it'd be possible to play a wind instrument in a similar way.

Not necessarily. My radio and TV can't expel air.

But it shouldn't be hard to build. The DM will decide this one.

Gullintanni
2017-05-20, 03:09 PM
Strictly speaking, Perform (anything) is a skill check. Unless the creature is described as being unable to use a given skill, it can use the skill. The only prerequisite for making a skill check is whether or not it is Trained Only, and if so, then whether or not at least a single skill point has been invested. By RAW, a Warforged can use Perform (Wind Instrument) just the same as a Demilich can use Perform (Dance); who needs arms and legs. :smalltongue:

By the strictest RAW - nothing in the Perform skill actually requires you to PLAY the instrument you're performing with. You could use your flute as a baton and twirl away, and as long as your perform check is high enough, it'll have the intended effect. Obviously, this is absurd, but that's the RAW.

MaxMAnAtArms
2017-05-20, 03:27 PM
Besides the fact that you just took a hollow metal tube with holes in it and smacked it against a presumably hard surface repeatedly with great force?

Flute, steel 1d4 X2 crit 10ft range 2lbs Bludgeoning

Flute, Steel: Steel flutes are simple musical instruments, hollow shafts of metal carefully crafted as balanced short staffs. The steel flute gets its name from the most common example of this Adaran weapon, but it can be made of just about any metal. A steel flute is treated as a club for the purpose of weapon proficiency. As with a monk's cane, an observer must study a steel flute's owner to tell the flute is a weapon. A steel flute can be created as a masterwork instrument and a masterwork weapon, but both processes must be paid for separately.

Book: Secrets of Sarlona

Braininthejar2
2017-05-20, 05:34 PM
With the right artificer friend, they can BE a wind instrument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNhADoCjdoI

Thurbane
2017-05-20, 09:59 PM

Anything that would prevent a warforged from being able to Play it by RAW?Besides the fact that you just took a hollow metal tube with holes in it and smacked it against a presumably hard surface repeatedly with great force?

Erm, the steel flute is actually an eberron weapon (SoS, p.136) which can specifically be used as both a weapon and musical instrument.

Mendicant
2017-05-20, 10:58 PM
By RAW, absolutely. By good gameplay principles, for sure. By common sense? Forget expelling air, you don't have any lips.

MaxMAnAtArms
2017-05-20, 11:43 PM
With the right artificer friend, they can BE a wind instrument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNhADoCjdoI

You have made me want to do that so freaking bad.

MaxMAnAtArms
2017-05-20, 11:44 PM
Erm, the steel flute is actually an eberron weapon (SoS, p.136) which can specifically be used as both a weapon and musical instrument.

I meant more along him actually breathing in and playing it some how. As the other guy said he ain't got no lips

Vaz
2017-05-20, 11:53 PM
Yes they can. Not good (I'm looking at you Cha penalty) but they most definitely can

They might be able to perform a piece of music perfectly well; but being able to perform with it is entirely different. That's why the skill is Perform, not Play.

Thurbane
2017-05-21, 02:45 AM
I meant more along him actually breathing in and playing it some how. As the other guy said he ain't got no lips

Yeah, sorry if the nested quote caused confusion, I was actually replying to Keltest. :smallwink: