PDA

View Full Version : New skill for necromancers?

fish175
2017-05-20, 08:40 AM
Hello everyone.

At the moment I'm playing a dread necromancer with some friends and got a question for you.
I found somewhere that if you could talk your small into it you might get a skill that could help a necromancer.
In this case I'm talking about a skill we so far have called "corpsecrafter".

It is supposed to be a craft skill that helps with raise dead.
Let's say you only want one undead but you got 2 corpses.
With this skill you can take the 2 corpse and scavenge good parts and put it into this first corpse, raise the first corpse and now you got a better undead than before.

Right now we are looking for a way to make this possible without breaking something.

I need several things here:
Effects from scavenging. (Extra hd, extra
Dmg, extra natural ac, and so forth.

A reliable way to use this skill (at this point
I'm thinking that: I wanna raise a 4 HD
creature. To make it better I need to make
a skill check with a dc=15+HD. A fail will
tell me the other corpse either isn't good
for this or that I screwed up.

I was thinking that for each improvement you'll need at least half HD of Base creature of corpses( in this case either 2 x 1 HD corpses or 1 x 2HD corpse).

All the Improvements can of course not be made after the creature has been raised.
I was thinking that every following improvement should increase the DC by 2 and you would of course need another half of HD in corpses.

What's your thoughts on this??

The Viscount
2017-05-20, 10:22 AM
I'd suggest you move this thread to the homebrew section; they'll have more helpful advice.
In general, if you're adding an option sufficiently good that every necromancer would take it without thinking, you might want to reconsider.

fish175
2017-05-20, 10:28 AM
Thx. How do i move it?

Inevitability
2017-05-20, 10:51 AM
Thx. How do i move it?

Click the report button (the small triangle to the bottom left of your post) and ask the mods to move it.

ATHATH
2017-05-20, 12:12 PM
Just gonna drop this here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/necrocraft/

Sagetim
2017-05-20, 10:41 PM
Also of note is that the Libris Mortis has a feat called Corpse Crafter, which specifically upgrades all the undead you make by giving them a permanent +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and +2 hit points per hit die. It is the pre-requisite for some other feats as well, most of which give your animated undead permanent bonuses like +4 turn resistance, or +1d6 cold damage per attack, or natural armor, or what have you.

And honestly, I'd probably just take the feat at level one instead of blowing skill points on a custom skill that requires time and effort to make my undead better instead of investing skill points and having to go through the bother of getting additional bodies to use for parts.

Dread Necromancer's get a similar effect out of their level 8 class ability, so your mileage may vary based on if your dm lets that stack with the baseline Corpse Crafter feat, but even if that feat just becomes a feat tax for your dread necromancer, you can still use the other feats in that tree to upgrade your undead.

fish175
2017-05-21, 04:55 AM
Click the report button (the small triangle to the bottom left of your post) and ask the mods to move it.
Thx. I did and I'm waiting now

Just gonna drop this here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/necrocraft/
This actually helps a lot!! Thx!

Also of note is that the Libris Mortis has a feat called Corpse Crafter, which specifically upgrades all the undead you make by giving them a permanent +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and +2 hit points per hit die. It is the pre-requisite for some other feats as well, most of which give your animated undead permanent bonuses like +4 turn resistance, or +1d6 cold damage per attack, or natural armor, or what have you.

And honestly, I'd probably just take the feat at level one instead of blowing skill points on a custom skill that requires time and effort to make my undead better instead of investing skill points and having to go through the bother of getting additional bodies to use for parts.

Dread Necromancer's get a similar effect out of their level 8 class ability, so your mileage may vary based on if your dm lets that stack with the baseline Corpse Crafter feat, but even if that feat just becomes a feat tax for your dread necromancer, you can still use the other feats in that tree to upgrade your undead.
My DM has already ruled the undead mastery counts as a prerequisite for the rest of the feats. But I wanted something that doesn't require feats since the dread necro already needs alot of them.