PDA

View Full Version : Categorizing Classes--looking for patterns

PhoenixPhyre
2017-05-20, 09:56 AM
As someone who DMs and frequently has players completely new to D&D (and TTRPGs in general), I'm always looking for new ways to explain/understand the basic archetypes represented by the classes.

Note I'm only looking at the stereotypes and default characterizations here--I recognize that there are ways to build/play each class that deviate strongly from the baseline. I think it's important to understand the PHB baseline (especially when dealing with new players) before deviating though.

Here I present an (incomplete) categorization of each class according to four characteristics:

Power Source: Where does the class get its power? Usually one word.
Major Focus: A key feature or factor that affects how the power is applied. Sometimes varies by sub-class.
Combat Role: A brief description of the most common role of this class in combat--melee/ranged/caster + subtypes (controller/skirmisher/blaster etc).
Strongest Pillar: In which of the three pillars (combat/exploration/social) does this class focus its features?

Some items are marked with ?: those I couldn't categorize. Please feel free to jump in and supply answers.

Class
Power Source
Major Focus
Combat Role
Strongest Pillar

Barbarian
Rage
Endurance/Strength
Front Line
Combat

Bard
Art
Skills
Balanced Support Caster
Social / Combat

Cleric
Faith
(1)
Defensive Support Caster
Combat / Exploration

Druid
Nature
Land: Balance; Moon: Shapeshifting
Offensive Support Caster
Combat / Exploration

Fighter
Training
Weapons
Front Line OR Ranged Damage
Combat

Monk
Self-knowledge?
?
Melee skirmisher/controller
Combat / Exploration

Paladin
Conviction
Weapons
Front line + defensive support
Combat / Social

Ranger
Wilderness
Hunter: Weapons; Beastmaster: Animal Companion
Skirmisher (leans ranged)
Exploration / Combat

Rogue
Skills
Stealth
Skirmisher (leans melee?)
Balanced

Sorcerer
Heritage
Focus
Blaster OR Support Caster
Combat / Social

Warlock
Bargains
?
Blaster Caster OR Melee Skirmisher (Blade pact)
Combat / Social

Wizard
Study
Versatility
Control Caster + limited Blasting
Combat / Exploration

(1) Clerics vary strongly by sub-class:

Knowledge: Skills
Life: Healing
Light: Fire?
Nature: Nature?
Tempest: Storm?
Trickery: Stealth?
War: Weapons

Feel free to tell me where I've gone wrong in the comments. I'll update the table if there is consensus (or if I like your ideas better than my own). Or feel free to tell me that this is all worthless. :smallsmile:

Tanarii
2017-05-20, 10:03 AM
Sorcerers are pretty good at social too. Since that pretty much means 'has high charisma' in most campaigns. (Or expertise for the rogue.)

PhoenixPhyre
2017-05-20, 10:20 AM
Sorcerers are pretty good at social too. Since that pretty much means 'has high charisma' in most campaigns. (Or expertise for the rogue.)

That's fair, although they don't have any class features focused on that portion. I'll put it as a secondary (Combat / Social).

Tanarii
2017-05-20, 10:30 AM
I dunno about that, they've got Subtle Magic plus quite a few very helpful social spells. As well as all three Charisma skill proficiencies. (Ignoring Perform, which isn't worth the paper they printed it on.)

Lombra
2017-05-20, 11:28 AM
I think that the focus of the monk should be reliability and control