PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Far Strike Monk build help.

AstralFire
2017-05-20, 10:13 AM
Starting level is 5. I wanted a character that is reasonably mobile, doesn't pump str, has a decent non-combat skill load-out, and is survivable without being dead weight in the damage department. Right now, Far Strike Monk seems to do all that for me the best of my options, but I'm open to ideas, especially ones involving holy themes; Dervish Dancer and Dervish of Dawn come to mind, but seem to lose a lot in survivability and a little in damage, so I'm not sure. In the meantime, I'd like to refine my build and have ideas where to go from here.

I have racial flight speed, so difficult terrain will generally not be an issue for me. Background skills are in effect.

Far Strike Monk 5.
STR 10, DEX 18 (20), CON 14, INT 14, WIS 18, CHA 7
Alignment: NG
+1 Mithral Rope Dart: +11/11 To-Hit, 1d4+6 P damage 20/x2, 20 ft.
+8/10/9 Saves; Evasion
Darkvision 60 ft.

Traits: Enlightened Warrior, Fashionable, Student of Philosophy, Naive (Drawback)
Acro (+15/5 ranks), Bluff (+11, 5 ranks), Diplomacy (+10, 4 ranks), Escape Artist (+9, 1 ranks), Fly (+14, 4 ranks), Knowledge History (+6, 1 ranks), Perception (+12, 5 ranks), Perform Oratory (+2, 1 ranks), Sense Motive (+12, 5 ranks), Sleight of Hand (+6, 1 ranks), Stealth (+9, 1 ranks)
Favored Class Bonus: 5xHP

Qinggong (Slow Fall) --> Barkskin
Qinggong (High Jump) --> ??? Feels like I should swap this out as I can fly, but IDK to what. Augury might be nice for days with no combat but it's really unreliable. Feather Step is a waste since I can fly.

- L1 Feat: Weapon Focus (Rope Dart)
- Monk 1: Precise Shot
- Far Strike 1: Quick Draw
- Monk 2: Point-Blank Shot
- L3 Feat: Startoss Style
- Far Strike 4: Shot on the Run
- L5 Feat: Startoss Comet

Geddy2112
2017-05-20, 01:41 PM
Looks fairly solid.

You probably want at least some ranks in knowledge:religion to ID undead, unless the rest of the party has this covered.

For high jump, there are several good choices. Although getting knocked prone is not all that common(particularly if you are flying) having ki stand is pretty handy. It would also allow you to drop prone if you need cover against other ranged opponents and then get up quickly. Deny death is always handy, and being able to gain HP from neg modifiers can get you back into the combat.

At higher levels you want deadly aim, but getting the +2 from startoss is better early on. Take improved precise shot as your monk bonus feat at level 6. Clustered shots is also a must have for higher levels.

AstralFire
2017-05-20, 02:04 PM
I shifted a point from Diplo to Know: Religion; seems like a good call! How much will I need Close-Quarters Thrower eventually, you think? Seems a bit superfluous to me given flying 5-ft. steps.

Deny Death also seems really good now that I realize it doesn't cost ki, I mentally was reading all of the feats as costing ki to use innately. So, thanks! Deadly Aim, Startoss Shower, and Clustered Shots are definitely on my grab list, was thinking Imp. Critical at 10 and that works with Imp. Precise Shot at 6.

Past that will probably never happen, but I'm thinking Stunning Fist or Touch of Serenity if it does, to hurl through my weapon.

Thanks.

Geddy2112
2017-05-20, 02:37 PM
You probably won't need close quarters thrower-you have a good enough fly skill to always be able to take a 5 foot step flying without a problem. If you have the ki and you are within 1d6 hp of being conscious then deny death is worth using ki on. Otherwise it just means you won't bleed out so long as you have ki. You will be burning through a lot of ki increasing the damage die of your weapon though. Grab a ring of ki mastery and a ki mat when you get a chance to help replenish ki. A monk's robe is also a good buy when you can afford it.

You can't use stunning fist through your weapon with the ki intensifying or ki focus property. It is a useful feat in its own right though.