PDA

View Full Version : Attack on Titan: Are Titans More Brutal Now?

8BitNinja
2017-05-20, 10:52 AM
So I'm not grossed out by blood and on-screen violence doesn't bother me, but I noticed something recently.

I was watching season 2 of Attack on Titan (I'm only on episode 3) and right in the pilot, someone (not giving any spoilers) is brutally torn apart by Titans in a lengthened shot. (If you watched the episode, you know what I'm talking about)

Then in episode 2, a woman is slowly eaten by a Titan while she lies paralyzed (I'm assuming) with her son(?) watching the whole time, clearly freaked out.

I know that Attack on Titan isn't a show for kids, and I also know that a ton of gore and people getting eaten was going to ensue, but usually death by Titan is very quick and details don't tend to be focused on. Even Eren's mom died pretty quickly.

So again, I'm not disturbed or grossed out by this, but has anyone else noticed this?

EDIT: Stupid autocorrect

LaZodiac
2017-05-20, 11:29 AM
So I'm not grossed out by blood and on-screen violence doesn't bother me, but I noticed something recently.

I was watching season 2 of Attack on Titan (I'm only on episode 3) and right in the pilot, someone (not giving any spoilers) is brutally torn apart by Titans in a lengthened shot. (If you watched the episode, you know what I'm talking about)

Then in episode 2, a woman is slowly eaten by a Titan while she lies paralyzed (I'm assuming) with her son(?) watching the whole time, clearly freaked out.

I know that Attack on Titan isn't a show for kids, and I also know that a ton of gore and people getting eaten was going to ensure, but usually death by Titan is very quick and details don't tend to be focused on. Even Wren's mom died pretty quickly.

So again, I'm not disturbed or grossed out by this, but has anyone else noticed this?

As the series goes on it tends to linger on things more to really hit home the whole "this is literally horrifying beyond all thought" thing.

Kato
2017-05-20, 11:59 AM
If I was a cynic I'd say AoT isn't close to as good as people make it out but sells a lot on good animation, opening and shock value, which is why now they need to turn it up more.
Yes, they try to show a real, harsh world, where death is a thing that happens often, and people suffer because titans look way too stupid to be taken serious so we need to make up for this somehow.

But, well, I don't know. I feel like things haven't become worse, but it's been a while since season one. They occasionaly got graphic on their kills...

sidenote: We do have an AoT thread, so I feel this new one is not really needed.. maybe ask a mod to fuse them?

8BitNinja
2017-05-20, 12:42 PM
If I was a cynic I'd say AoT isn't close to as good as people make it out but sells a lot on good animation, opening and shock value, which is why now they need to turn it up more.
Yes, they try to show a real, harsh world, where death is a thing that happens often, and people suffer because titans look way too stupid to be taken serious so we need to make up for this somehow.

But, well, I don't know. I feel like things haven't become worse, but it's been a while since season one. They occasionaly got graphic on their kills...

sidenote: We do have an AoT thread, so I feel this new one is not really needed.. maybe ask a mod to fuse them?

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I know that they live in a crapsack world and death is commonplace, and I also know that some deaths were paid more attention to. It's just that all Titan deaths currently (I'm on episode 3) were long and shocking. Quite unlike most deaths in AoT, especially in the Trost arc.

LaZodiac
2017-05-20, 03:33 PM

To be honest I thought this was the Titan thread.

8BitNinja
2017-05-21, 11:17 AM
Just an update, I watched episode 4, and most is not all deaths in the episode (there were only 2 or 3) all had discretion shots. Might have been for beginning shock value.