PDA

View Full Version : Devilfish?

lunar
2007-08-01, 11:13 PM
Now as far as I know a devilfish is not a real fish... the only thing that I can think of is an Italian B horror movie that got made fun of in the Science Channel version of MST3K. I saw the beginning of that episode, and it was freaking hilarious!

So is this a reference to an MST3K episode, or is there something I'm not getting?

Gundato
2007-08-01, 11:14 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_fish

In short, it is just a frigging joke :p

Oberon
2007-08-01, 11:15 PM
Devilfish is also an outdated word for octopus, I think. I seem to remember that from somewhere.

lunar
2007-08-01, 11:19 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_fish

In short, it is just a frigging joke :p

Ah okay, I didn't know those were called devil fish... I would have called them devil rays.

When I tried to wiki devilfish all I came up with was some poker player... so I still didn't get it. Thanks for the link.

I still don't get the joke... unless the joke is just that since it's a celestial creature it eats fish of an opposite alignment. That's kinda funny... but wait, that would be demon fish.

Forgive my slow sense of humor.

Porthos
2007-08-01, 11:21 PM
From Dictionary.com:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/devilfish

devˇilˇfish (d?v'?l-f?sh') Pronunciation Key
n. pl. devilfish or devˇilˇfishˇes
See manta (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/manta).
See octopus (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/octopus).
See gray whale. (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gray%20whale)

There are other entries there as well. Basically, it's just another name for either a Manta/Devil Ray, Octopus, or Grey Whale. :smallsmile:

I still don't get the joke... unless the joke is just that since it's a celestial creature it eats fish of an opposite alignment. That's kinda funny... but wait, that would be demon fish.

Well, devils are Evil, right? Well, then a Celestial Shark would, quite literaly, eat devilfish (and enjoy it). :smalltongue:

lunar
2007-08-01, 11:26 PM
Yeah and besides there is probably no such thing as a demon fish.

But I was just thinking that the opposite of Lawful Good is actually Chaotic Evil. But of course a celestial octopus would certainly enjoy eating Lawful Evil fish too.

I guess we've discussed all funny out of this joke by now. :P

the_tick_rules
2007-08-02, 01:24 AM
some sea life has been called devilfish as indicated above, but it was mainly used as a joke, a good one i thought.

factotum
2007-08-02, 01:39 AM
Even if it wasn't just a joke, the OotS world is not Earth. You won't bump into a goblin walking down the street, and human skeletons with spellcasting powers aren't going to be trying to take over our world anytime soon. In short, the OotSverse can contain any creatures Rich says it does...

bluish_wolf
2007-08-02, 01:39 AM
I guess we've discussed all funny out of this joke by now. :P

It wasn't particularly funny to begin with.

sum1won
2007-08-02, 01:40 AM
It wasn't particularly funny to begin with.

Yes it was. I have charts.

Douglas Limmer
2007-08-02, 07:01 AM
If memory serves, D&D-wise speaking, devilfish is the name used in Mystara (the "Known World" from the basic/expert/companion/master/immortal version of D&D) for the ixitxachitl. Which I might have spelled correctly.

Arameus
2007-08-02, 07:07 AM
I always knew the octopus as a devilfish, which is wy the joke struck me as either redundant or overobvious.

My favorite episode of Iron Chef is the Devilfish Battle, referring of course to the octopus. It was not a joke, it's their word for it, I think.

RobbyPants
2007-08-02, 08:08 AM
Yeah and besides there is probably no such thing as a demon fish.

But I was just thinking that the opposite of Lawful Good is actually Chaotic Evil. But of course a celestial octopus would certainly enjoy eating Lawful Evil fish too.
Paladins have detect evil, so I would think that they'd hate a lawful evil fish just as much as a chaotic evil fish, even if the alignments aren't perfectly opposite. :smalltongue:

Oxymoron
2007-08-02, 08:33 AM
The joke was funny if you got it.

Jokes are never funny if you have to explain them.

Dusk_Rider
2007-08-02, 09:01 AM
Ah okay, I didn't know those were called devil fish... I would have called them devil rays.

When I tried to wiki devilfish all I came up with was some poker player... so I still didn't get it. Thanks for the link.

Does a paladin's mount have to be lawful good? The shark might be chaotic good and thus eat devilfish rather than demonfish. I dunno.

kpenguin
2007-08-02, 09:03 AM
Well, since a Paladin can have a unicorn, which is always chaotic-good, as a mount, I suppose so.

Tirian
2007-08-02, 09:07 AM
Okay, so the Sapphire Guard is an elite band of paladins established specifically to protect a spatial anomaly in a throne room on the upper floors of a castle. So Lien has a mount that is designed to defend against marine attacks why?

:smalleek:

Oh my God, Lien is Aquaman. Poor girl. At least it explains why she wasn't in the throne room doing the heavy lifting with everyone else.

kpenguin
2007-08-02, 09:43 AM
If an army of sahuagin rise from depths led by a psionic aboleth to take the gate, a few marine paladins (I assume Lien isn't the only one) would come in handy.

Tirian
2007-08-02, 10:36 AM
I don't know if there ever would be (or had been) a series of circumstances that would require defending the Gate from sea, although I can imagine that you'd need someone who was "at home" to defend the leader of the Guard if he ever took a cruise.

All the same, I'll bet that everyone in Azure City has spent years meanly laughing at the woman who was holding Shojo's junk while all the rest of the Guard was busy doing real work. Aquaman, I tells ya!

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-02, 10:36 AM
This may be some new quirk with a Paladan's mount that I haven't discovered yet (Really, I never looked into the Paladan changes in 3.5 and was surprised that they summon their mounts, now. Thats LAME!) - but why is everyone assuming that Razor is a celestial shark? Can't it just be a normal "Magical beast" Shark, in leiu of an "Animal" Shark?

Yuki Akuma
2007-08-02, 11:16 AM
This may be some new quirk with a Paladan's mount that I haven't discovered yet (Really, I never looked into the Paladan changes in 3.5 and was surprised that they summon their mounts, now. Thats LAME!) - but why is everyone assuming that Razor is a celestial shark? Can't it just be a normal "Magical beast" Shark, in leiu of an "Animal" Shark?

There is no such thing as a "normal Magical Beast shark".

And all paladin mounts have to be Celestial if they're based on animals. :smalltongue: They can be normal Magical Beasts (such as Unicorns), or Dragons (such as Juvenile Silver Dragons), but if they're normal animals, they must be Celestial animals.

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-02, 02:42 PM
The point is that octopi are sometimes called devilfish, and that since it's a holy shark bearing a righteous Lawful Good paladin, it would make sense that it would eat DEVILfish. Devils and demons are basically the opposite of angels and archons.

Ithekro
2007-08-02, 03:07 PM
Considering this is a major sea port city, I'd expect the paladins to be ready in case of pirate attack, or any one of a dozen weird Oriental Adventures based sea creatures, Lesser Spirits, Spirit Folk, and Hengeyokai characters.

Scarab83
2007-08-02, 03:35 PM
There is no such thing as a "normal Magical Beast shark".

And all paladin mounts have to be Celestial if they're based on animals. :smalltongue: They can be normal Magical Beasts (such as Unicorns), or Dragons (such as Juvenile Silver Dragons), but if they're normal animals, they must be Celestial animals.

Actually, that's incorrect. Most paladin mounts are not Celestial. A 5th level paladin summons a normal heavy warhorse. You even need a feat out of the Book of Exalted Deeds to summon a celestial mount.

Edit: Although.. it's weird. They ARE summoned FROM the celestial realms, but they aren't celestial themselves.

The little mount sidebar in the PHB says "A paladin's mount is treated as a magical beast, not an animal, for the purpose of all effects that depend on its type.

So they're just considered a magical beast from the celestial realms, but not celestial.

TheAlmightyOne
2007-08-02, 05:23 PM
It can't be a celestial shark anyway. It doesn't have the halo. Elans celestial lion image had a halo, thus showing its celestial. Meaning, because Razor didn't have a halo its not celestial.

The previous statement made sense(ish) but with bad grammar. Because im tired. Deal with it.

bluish_wolf
2007-08-02, 05:59 PM
It can't be a celestial shark anyway. It doesn't have the halo. Elans celestial lion image had a halo, thus showing its celestial. Meaning, because Razor didn't have a halo its not celestial.

The previous statement made sense(ish) but with bad grammar. Because im tired. Deal with it.

Argent doesn't have a halo, but he's apparently from the celestial realm since that's where he was sent back.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0453.html

EvilJames
2007-08-03, 01:09 AM
As was mentioned it wasn't actually a joke. Devilfish in D&D refers to either Sahaugin or Ixiachl(sic)(evil manta rays) I don't remember which

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-03, 01:58 AM
Argent doesn't have a halo, but he's apparently from the celestial realm since that's where he was sent back.

Indeed, and since it was Elan's illusion, he threw in that halo just because it was how he percieved a celestial lion.

Duke Malagigi
2007-08-03, 02:11 AM
As was mentioned it wasn't actually a joke. Devilfish in D&D refers to either Sahaugin or Ixiachl(sic)(evil manta rays) I don't remember which

Devilfish in D&D are evil Demogorgon worshipping manta rays so technically they should be called Demonfish.

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-03, 02:13 AM
Devilfish in D&D are evil Demogorgon worshipping manta rays so technically they should be called Demonfish.

Um... I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that manta rays could be satanists.

EvilJames
2007-08-03, 04:40 AM
Well now you know. and that is half the battle *cues GI Joe theme and throws "the more you know" star and music for good measure :smalltongue:

kpenguin
2007-08-03, 04:59 AM
I think it was a joke and the presence of an actual devilfish (octopus) just underlined it.

Gez
2007-08-03, 06:18 AM
Okay, so the Sapphire Guard is an elite band of paladins established specifically to protect a spatial anomaly in a throne room on the upper floors of a castle. So Lien has a mount that is designed to defend against marine attacks why?

None of the Paladins in the Throne Room had their mount with them, so since they did not bring their pets to the Grand Final Battle it proves without any rebuttal possible that nothing obligated them to choose a mount that could fight in the Throne Room.

Ergo, a shark mount is perfectly fine.

A celestial creature is not just a creature from the Upper Planes, it's a creature from the Upper Planes with special powers its Material Plane counterpart do not have.

There are many creatures in the Celestial Realm that do not have this template, starting with the Celestials themselves. That's right, you won't find a Celestial Celestial any more than you'll find a Fiendish Fiend. :smallbiggrin:

Indeed, and since it was Elan's illusion, he threw in that halo just because it was how he percieved a celestial lion.

Celestial animals have halos. It's not just Elan. When Xykon took back his abandonned castle, we got to see Celestial Roaches. They were blue and had a halo, just like the Celestial Lion.

Plus, there's Vaarsuvius directing Elan. If Elan had a misconception about what a Celestial Lion looks like, V would have remarked on it.

Um... I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that manta rays could be satanists.

They can't. What they can be is Demogorgonists. Duh! :smallbiggrin:

kpenguin
2007-08-03, 06:28 AM
A celestial creature is not just a creature from the Upper Planes, it's a creature from the Upper Planes with special powers its Material Plane counterpart do not have.

Indeed. In fact, I highly doubt any of the paladin mounts shown are celestial. Paladin mounts usually are not, despite residing in the celestial planes, unless they take a feat from BoED.

tezrik
2007-08-03, 08:12 AM
Considering for a moment that he drew the octopus with devil horns, I'd say this was fairly easy to figure what was being referred to.

BobTheDog
2007-08-03, 09:47 AM
Indeed. In fact, I highly doubt any of the paladin mounts shown are celestial. Paladin mounts usually are not, despite residing in the celestial planes, unless they take a feat from BoED.

Actually, any paladin of 6th level or higher can have a celestial heavy warhorse as a mount, with the mount having a penalty on abilities.

The rule on mounts states only that the mount's CR should be no more than the paladin's level minus 3 (or 4 if the mount can fly), but nothing about templates.

There is even an entry in a table in DMG that lists a fiendish light warhorse as an option, though I believe that's a mistake. :smallconfused:

Edit: also, the Large shark is on the standard list of options for a 6th level paladin.

kpenguin
2007-08-03, 09:48 AM
The table lists standard mounts. The paragraphs in the text list the possible mounts for a paladin.

Duke Malagigi
2007-08-03, 01:05 PM
Ixitxachitl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixitxachitl) or devilfish. This will explain quite a bit.