PDA

View Full Version : New Campaign Idea

HopefulDMing
2017-05-20, 07:46 PM
I'm creating a new campaign in which players must avert and/or prepare for an endless night. I have some basic ideas now, and a few ideas for things, such as the pantheon and a few magical items.

Pantheon: (Note: This is not a true alignment chart, but more where the gods will fall if the conflict comes to a head.)

Good:
Pelor, Altua, Corellan Larethian, Yondalla, Kord, Baumet, Ayilla, Rao

Neutral:
Fharlagnh, Bralm, Chaav, Delleb, Halmyr, Mouqol

Evil:
Therizdun, Tiamat, Iborighu, Incabulos, Karaan, Lolth

Magic Items:

Mirror of Nyarloxo:
Tarnished silver mirror with an ornate gold frame and a small basin at the bottom to be filled with blood for attunement.

Effect: Creates a clone of whomever is caught in the surface of the mirror when the user activates it. It can only be used every 5 years, but will recharge automatically if the mirror switches owners, which can happen every two months.

Temples:

Good: Lights shine in through the windows. You hear faint singing in your ears. Good and Neutral aligned character restore HP at 1HP/hour. If you are a cleric, priest or paladin, you restore at a rate of 2-5HP/hour. If you are evil, every 7 days, your alignment is shifted to C/N/L Neutral then C/N/L Good.

Evil: You hear faint whispers and screams, the very ground seems darkened and wasted. Evil characters restore HP at 1HP/hour. If you are a cleric, cultist, priest or paladin, you restore at a rate of 2-5HP/hour. If you are Good, every 3 hours, you gain a point of madness

Madness:

1: Suspicion, fear, caution and doubt

2: Stronger fear, minor tremors, perhaps short bursts of screams, distrusting people

3:Distrusting once close friends, tremors, sudden screams. 1d4 (1. Schizophrenia like symptoms. 2. Superiority complex. 3. Gains inferiority complex. 4. Uncommon Seizures)

4: Seizures, warning others of their suspicions, fearing almost everything, bipolar symptoms, sudden spasms, blackouts, loud sudden screams

5. Mental Insanity

Does anyone have any additions to make to this list of stuff? I will accept god submissions if you can tell me what they are the god of. I can also put magic items suggested into the game if they fit the darker feel. I am almost always open to advice and submissions.

(Note: I originally posted this in the Roleplaying section, not the Homebrew Section)

Freed
2017-05-23, 09:46 AM
It looks pretty good to me, but I am wondering why the Evil temples cause Good characters madness, while the Good temples just switch Evil character's alignments.

Westhart
2017-05-23, 11:03 AM
Shouldn't the temple powers offer a will save to resist? Then you could have the DC get higher for every week they spend there, but looks good, although I am worried about the madness...

HopefulDMing
2017-05-23, 11:53 AM
Shouldn't the temple powers offer a will save to resist? Then you could have the DC get higher for every week they spend there, but looks good, although I am worried about the madness...

I guess I should add a saving throw. As for the madness, I see evil as more corrupting while good is purifying. Perhaps an alignment change towards evil is better.

Westhart
2017-05-23, 12:02 PM
Well, I am not worried about madness until past 1 & 2, as after that it begins to effect PC's majorly if they have an extended trip....

HopefulDMing
2017-05-23, 12:47 PM
Well, I am not worried about madness until past 1 & 2, as after that it begins to effect PC's majorly if they have an extended trip....

I was going to have an explorer from an evil temple (which could be dungeon like) imply that the longer you stay down there, the more maddening it is, and how one of his buddies tried to kill him/her.

Westhart
2017-05-23, 01:13 PM
I was going to have an explorer from an evil temple (which could be dungeon like) imply that the longer you stay down there, the more maddening it is, and how one of his buddies tried to kill him/her.

Hmm, guess it does not hurt them too much (directly) since they will not be there that long....

AH HAH! Why not let protection from X guard against the temple effects, then you could drop saves and all since they have the spell and if they do not use, it is on their head. :smallbiggrin:

HopefulDMing
2017-05-23, 01:14 PM
Hmm, guess it does not hurt them too much (directly) since they will not be there that long....

AH HAH! Why not let protection from X guard against the temple effects, then you could drop saves and all since they have the spell and if they do not use, it is on their head. :smallbiggrin:

I would assume protection from magic would keep the temple's effects at bay

Westhart
2017-05-23, 01:25 PM
Well since most PC's will have them (at least those I played with) I would say it is good :smallsmile: