PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Wind wall spell

Scottlang
2017-05-21, 01:05 AM
Can use cast wind wall in a character (in a cylindrical shape) could a PC move around and have the wind wall move with them?? Or would that be more of a flare just for the story sake, so the players feel buff?? (pun intended)

I had a player cast it on the party, for a defensive maneuver, and then moved up to the top floor, for a boss fight... Would the wind wall move with them, or is it like most of the wall spells and is immobile??

flappeercraft
2017-05-21, 01:24 AM
pretty sure its immobile

Inevitability
2017-05-21, 02:21 AM
Wind Wall is cast on a location, not a person. Unless you can somehow shift the entire fabric of space-time, don't expect it to move.

SirNibbles
2017-05-21, 06:13 AM
You can't do that with Wind Wall but there are other spells to do it.

Stormrage (Spell Compendium, page 210) does what you are describing.

Eye of the Hurricane (Spell Compendium, page 86) is another option.

Mastery of the Sky (Races of the Wild, page 175) also does what you want.

ryu
2017-05-21, 06:38 AM
Or you could just look up the friendly fire spell in abjuration which is superior in every way.

SirNibbles
2017-05-21, 07:28 AM
Or you could just look up the friendly fire spell in abjuration which is superior in every way.

Source? I can't find any spell by that name or anything similar in Abjuration.

ryu
2017-05-21, 07:35 AM
Source? I can't find any spell by that name or anything similar in Abjuration.

I believe it was exemplars of evil page 27?

Inevitability
2017-05-21, 08:22 AM
Friendly Fire isn't necessarily better, though. Unlike Wind Wall it doesn't move objects or block small creatures, nor does it block gases. It's useless for protecting your allies, too.

What it is better at is protecting its caster from projectiles, and I must admit that it does that frighteningly well.

ryu
2017-05-21, 08:33 AM
Friendly Fire isn't necessarily better, though. Unlike Wind Wall it doesn't move objects or block small creatures, nor does it block gases. It's useless for protecting your allies, too.

What it is better at is protecting its caster from projectiles, and I must admit that it does that frighteningly well.

And if you're stuck in a room with your enemy it's also an offensive boon. And and as it's an actual buff it can be shared with your familiar if you're the type to make them do things. And and and it's not in one of the two most often banned schools of magic for wizards. And and and and it will still protect you if a fight breaks out and the enemy wins initiative. Not as well granted, but that's still a hell of a thing wind wall can't do. And and and and and it blocks all attack roll projectiles not just arrows. And and and and and and there's no debate that hank's energy bow bypasses it unlike there is with wind wall. Do I even need to bring up incantatrix persisting?

Schattenbach
2017-05-21, 09:17 AM
Persistent Friendly Fire is one of the strongest defensive spells in the game, it makes anything that makes ranged attack rolls (unless that ranged attack then blows up somewhere within the range the attack has been deflected at) utterly useless, thereby directly negating most of the mailman standard mailman build, pretty much anything that uses ranged attacks (depending on how one rules it and what the situation in question is, it might even be able to deflect getting a whole mountain dropped on top of ones head ... as long as that's something that uses any kind of attack roll). Its arguably much cheaper and somewhat better than multiple powerful epic shield enhancements rolled into one and maybe around as good or even better than the feat chain of Improved Unarmed Strike, Deflect Arrow, Expectional Deflection? and Infinite Arrow Deflection (the last two of which are epic feats). Its also much better than the 8th level spell Mysterious redirection from Complete Mage in pretty much every aspect (including access, as Friendly Fire is much lower leveled and is, if I remember right, on more lists ... Mysterious Redirection also cannot be extended or persisted, I guess, because it's a spell that can be discharged, I guess?).

There's a reason its been printed in a book about villians and that (despite the otherwise often quite misplaced sense of balance WotC has shown up until now) DMs are advised to not let their players get their hands on it.

Maybe some refluffed/adjusted force spell (that creates a protective sphere, like Telekinetic Sphere) might do the trick?

StreamOfTheSky
2017-05-21, 11:13 AM
Wind Wall is already overpowered being immobile and I personally nerf it to only be 30% miss chance for all projectiles.
Friendly Fire is one of the most broken spells in 3E and should be banned by every DM.

There's a class feature of the Stormcaster that lets the character protect himself with an immediate action wind wall 1-3 times per day and the high level spells mentioned to do what you want. There's also a disgustingly too low level broken spell in PF that does what you want, Fickle Winds. It should never be allowed in a game, either.

Douglas
2017-05-26, 02:33 AM
If Pathfinder is allowed, there's the Fickle Winds (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/fickle-winds) spell from Ultimate Magic. It's pretty much exactly what you asked about, except better because the targets get to shoot through it unhindered.