PDA

View Full Version : Optimization melee warlock twins

Neo_phoenix
2017-05-21, 04:51 AM
hi, for the next adventure me and a friend wanted to make 2 aasimar, brother and sister, and both warlocks of the blade with different patrons. Our DM let us use every UA and lets us even create a smite invocation for the patrons that don`t have one (seeker, undying light, and raven queen) it just needs to make sense and to be similar with the other invocations. We can also multiclass (but we never did that so if we can have a strong build without doing so it would be better). My friend plays a raven queen fallen aasimar but i still need to decide which patron pick, do you have some ideas to make the character powerfull and fun to play? i was thinking about a protection aasimar with undying light and create the weapon so we can do the dark/ice and light/fire combo but this patron has no UA additional invocations except his basic ones. Maybe there could be other fun and strong concepts (remember that i can create my blade + patron invocation with seeker and light). Thanks in advance :3

Arcangel4774
2017-05-21, 10:27 AM
Undying light I would give a Morningstar that gives off dim light in in 15 foot radius. I'd make the smite 2d8 radiant damage per level and cause the target to be affected by i sparkling light that causes the next attack to against the target to have advantage through your next turn (see guiding bolt).

Seeker I would give a starchain manifested as a whip. You know identify and it doesnt count agaimst spells known. You can cast it once as a ritual per short rest. For the smite: 2d8 radiant damage per level smite and you learn targets resistances, immunities, and weaknesses if any. *edit* if there s a magical mcguffin key to defeating the enemy you learn of its existence but not where it's located or how it needs to be used.

Sir cryosin
2017-05-21, 10:35 AM
I'm now thinking about the new warlock ultimate dawnblade from Destiny 2.

Potato_Priest
2017-05-21, 03:22 PM
Get one warlock to go fiend, the other to go great old one. The fiendlock takes the mace of dispater (unearthed arcana) while the goolock takes the claw of acamar (also unearthed arcana)

In battle, if an enemy is hit with both the mace of dispater and the claw of acamar they will end up prone, unable to move, and unable to stand up on their turn. This is also completely sustainable, depending on how you interpret the wording of the features.

Edit: aw, too bad they chose the raven queen. In light of this information I'm not really sure what to suggest.

Vaz
2017-05-21, 03:43 PM
Raven Queen's could be Dagger, which would pair well with the ability to Sneak Attack on something like a Swashbuckler.

With a Dagger, Flail, Mace, and Bow, you've got a few options.

I think that a Javelin might fit for a Seeker Blade Pact, which allows it to be summoned with a Bonus Action and gain the Versatile (1d8) ability, and deal a smite dealing Radiant or Fire damage. The Javelin can be used in combat, and it allows you to use a shield with it so you can be slightly more defensive.

Potato_Priest
2017-05-21, 03:49 PM
Raven Queen's could be Dagger, which would pair well with the ability to Sneak Attack on something like a Swashbuckler.

With a Dagger, Flail, Mace, and Bow, you've got a few options.

I think that a Javelin might fit for a Seeker Blade Pact, which allows it to be summoned with a Bonus Action and gain the Versatile (1d8) ability, and deal a smite dealing Radiant or Fire damage. The Javelin can be used in combat, and it allows you to use a shield with it so you can be slightly more defensive.

That's a regular action, I'm afraid.

Edit: Sorry, I misunderstood. I seem to be having a problem with that today.

Neo_phoenix
2017-05-21, 04:54 PM
Undying light I would give a Morningstar that gives off dim light in in 15 foot radius. I'd make the smite 2d8 radiant damage per level and cause the target to be affected by i sparkling light that causes the next attack to against the target to have advantage through your next turn (see guiding bolt).

Seeker I would give a starchain manifested as a whip. You know identify and it doesnt count agaimst spells known. You can cast it once as a ritual per short rest. For the smite: 2d8 radiant damage per level smite and you learn targets resistances, immunities, and weaknesses if any. *edit* if there s a magical mcguffin key to defeating the enemy you learn of its existence but not where it's located or how it needs to be used.

for the seeker i was exaclty thinking the same thing except for the resistances, nice idea

Vaz
2017-05-21, 05:05 PM
That's a regular action, I'm afraid.

That was why I was saying that they could create their own weapons to smite from, I was suggesting having it allowable for a Seeker to get Bonus Action Blade-summon as part of the invocation.

Torzen
2017-05-21, 06:10 PM
Now if you DM will allow it I would use the Old God. If you go to D&D WWiki click 5e homebrew go to classes and look at the homebrew class witch doctor. It was built off of the warlock class to begin with. Take out the witch doctor voodoo stuff and use it as a warlock it would be interesting. I was planning on doing a Warlock patron Old God myself.

Arcangel4774
2017-05-21, 06:41 PM
The raven queen is a Goddes of death with a dislike for the undead, seeing death as natural and undeath an abbomination. A scythe makes a good weapon for flavor, a halberd flavored as scythe with advantage against undead. 2d8 necrotic for a smite and ignores necrotic resistance if undead as many have it.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-05-21, 06:47 PM
I would do raven queen weapon as a scythe. It works as a Glaive. And give it something cool like chance to Incapacitate or something. I'd give undying light a lance that is usable while not mounted . Radiant or fire damage for light smites. Necrotic or cold for raven

Vaz
2017-05-21, 07:38 PM
The raven queen is a Goddes of death with a dislike for the undead, seeing death as natural and undeath an abbomination. A scythe makes a good weapon for flavor, a halberd flavored as scythe with advantage against undead. 2d8 necrotic for a smite and ignores necrotic resistance if undead as many have it.
Why would someone who hates Undead use an implement of harvest or deal the damage most associated with Undead?

Arcangel4774
2017-05-21, 08:03 PM
Why would someone who hates Undead use an implement of harvest or deal the damage most associated with Undead?

She's a goddess of death. She was, in her mortal life, a powerful sorceress. Due to her power of spirit or something like that, the evil God of death, nerull, tried to make her his wife. She spurned him, and eventually usurped him as Goddes of death by freeing the souls he held captive. To her death is natural, not evil, but undeath is an abomination

Vaz
2017-05-21, 08:17 PM
Yes. So why would she be doing Necrotic damage? A damage type in the PHB limited to;

1 - Farplanes Warlock Flavour spells; Arms of Hadar,
2 - Curses; Bestow Curse/Hex
3 - plague based damage; Blight, Harm, Inflict Wounds
4 - Undead; Ghostly skeletal hand from Chill Touch, Finger of Death, Vampiric Touch
5 - Evil; Destructive Wave, Spirit Guardians, Forbiddance,
6 - Old School Level Drain; Wish

The only spell you could arguably suggest is Symbol of Death as being appropriate to the Raven Queen. Everything that I've understood is that she is the mistress of death - she who ensures the souls of those who pass into death, but doesn't go about causing death. I don't think that Necrotic is a suitable fit for her.

Not saying that there's a better type of damage, other than Piercing, in the same way that Slashing Damage is the extra type of damage for Curse Bringer.

Arcangel4774
2017-05-21, 10:46 PM
The only spell you could arguably suggest is Symbol of Death as being appropriate to the Raven Queen. Everything that I've understood is that she is the mistress of death - she who ensures the souls of those who pass into death, but doesn't go about causing death. I don't think that Necrotic is a suitable fit for her.

Not saying that there's a better type of damage, other than Piercing, in the same way that Slashing Damage is the extra type of damage for Curse Bringer.

I guess cold would be another reasonable damage as she is apparently a deity of death, fate, and winter. Atleast according to wikis, if they are to be trusted.

With fate and death intertwined you could say she insures people die when they're supposed to.

I don't really share your hold up on necrotic damage, but it's not hard to see your point. It the same logic my dm had, though he was less supported by examples, when he asserted radiant was always devine in nature and should be more or less reserved for those favored by God's.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-05-21, 11:55 PM
Yes. So why would she be doing Necrotic damage? A damage type in the PHB limited to;

1 - Farplanes Warlock Flavour spells; Arms of Hadar,
2 - Curses; Bestow Curse/Hex
3 - plague based damage; Blight, Harm, Inflict Wounds
4 - Undead; Ghostly skeletal hand from Chill Touch, Finger of Death, Vampiric Touch
5 - Evil; Destructive Wave, Spirit Guardians, Forbiddance,
6 - Old School Level Drain; Wish

nothing wrong with plagues, thats perfectly natural death, and evil necrotic is fine too. She just doesn't like UNdeath. And even then i think she creates revenants \

Necrotic is perfectly fine for raven queen.

Vaz
2017-05-22, 12:30 AM
1st false life, sanctuary
2nd silence, spiritual weapon
3rd feign death, speak with dead
4th ice storm, locate creature
5th commune, cone of cold

No Necrotic there. Like said, Cold seems a perfect fit, if not Piercing.

Nishant
2017-05-22, 01:54 PM
nothing wrong with plagues, thats perfectly natural death, and evil necrotic is fine too. She just doesn't like UNdeath. And even then i think she creates revenants \

Necrotic is perfectly fine for raven queen.

Revenants are tricky though, as they have a finite timeline, and there is usually a reason or deal for why they exist.