PDA

View Full Version : Positioning question

EvulOne
2017-05-21, 08:20 AM
So last night the party of 5th level adventurers was investigating a potential hidden church of Loviatar worshippers and they encountered a Cloaker in a fairly small room. Two of the party members (cleric and rogue/wizard) fell under the effects of nausea and fell prone. As they were in the front along with the fighter (who made his save) they started to crawl away at a pace of 5' per round. Two more adventurers (both barbarians) stepped up. Now you can move into the space of another party members but can you stop and stand in the space of a party member who is prone and engage in ranged combat?

Is it like standing over a dead body if they remain motionless?

Another question is since the two barbarians failed their panic saves and ran, one ran through the party, it was considered that one of the party members (a monk) could easily stop one since he didn't allow the barbarian to move through is square. Was this the correct call?

Elkad
2017-05-21, 04:53 PM
1. If the prone players say they are holding still, instead of shooting wands or dodging enemies, I don't have a problem with it. Still a difficult terrain square though. They would have to voluntarily give up their dex bonus, etc.

2. Panicked condition says they can use special abilities to escape. I'd allow an overrun or tumble attempt, though if it failed I'd have them revert to cowering instead of letting them retry. And of course they can always run the other way.

KillianHawkeye
2017-05-21, 06:44 PM
Before considering your question, I have to ask: Why did the characters fall prone? Seems like a bad idea under the circumstances.

EvulOne
2017-05-21, 10:06 PM
Before considering your question, I have to ask: Why did the characters fall prone? Seems like a bad idea under the circumstances.

When a cloaker attacks with it's nausea moan, those who fail their save fall prone and suffer from nausea for two rounds. The players wound up killing it and there was a LOT of laughs during the time when the rogue/wizard and druid left trails of vomit as they crawled. I was just curious what other DMs would have called for those two situations in the same encounter.

KillianHawkeye
2017-05-21, 10:58 PM
Oh, it's a special part of the cloaker's attack? I was wondering because nausea doesn't normally force characters to go prone.

In that case, I pretty much agree with what Elkad posted. Characters using ranged attacks usually have more options on where to stand, although this can be limited by cramped quarters or line-of-sight obstacles.

EvulOne
2017-05-22, 05:37 AM
2. Panicked condition says they can use special abilities to escape. I'd allow an overrun or tumble attempt, though if it failed I'd have them revert to cowering instead of letting them retry. And of course they can always run the other way.

Yeah I should have had the barbarian do an overrun. Ah well, hindsight is 20/20. Thank you for the view, if it happens again I'll have them do that.