PDA

View Full Version : Rolls

Icewalker
2007-08-02, 02:06 AM
I go to a sort of dnd summer camp, run by a guy who just sets up some books and papers down at a cafe and kids set it up with him in advance, and he runs 6-10 weeks per summer. He's been doing it as his job for about 10+ years. He's basically the best DM I know and ever expect to know.

And the adventures he runs are so epic...the dice have begun to join in to make the experience more interesting.

It seems that about 1/3 of the time, a d20 will roll a 1 or a 20. People are constantly fumbling in the big important battle scene, the enemies roll double damage and get something special to go off from their weapon, etc.

Recently we had a dark lord with two familiars, twin imps. They both attacked one character, jumping towards him to attack with their poison tails, and both fumbled. This happens a lot with characters small and odd (Imps, homunculus, etc.). We decided that they both jumped at him and hit each other in midair and fell over.

Kaelaroth
2007-08-02, 08:15 AM
Yes, that is generally how it is meant to work. What of it? :smallannoyed:

Fishy
2007-08-02, 08:21 AM
Chances are good that you are experiencing reinforcement bias. Two imps colliding in midair is hilarious, critting to take off the dragon's head is awesome, but rolling a 10 generally doesn't result in anything worth remembering.

Matthew
2007-08-02, 09:09 PM
That sounds interesting. So, does he actually charge you to play?

Nogard
2007-08-02, 09:55 PM
That sounds interesting. So, does he actually charge you to play?

That was my first reaction, but then i got to thinking, and i might consider hiring a DM to run a short series of regular games.

Diggorian
2007-08-02, 10:15 PM
We great minds are thinking alike :smallbiggrin: I've often considered charging for DMing, besides the snacks my players normally give me.

Nogard
2007-08-02, 11:09 PM
We great minds are thinking alike :smallbiggrin: I've often considered charging for DMing, besides the snacks my players normally give me.

Whats your rate? Maybe you can come run a game for us in Second Life (voice chat, and 3d virtual world where we have dice and maps and minis... if thats your style).

Diggorian
2007-08-02, 11:25 PM
Whats your rate? Maybe you can come run a game for us in Second Life (voice chat, and 3d virtual world where we have dice and maps and minis... if thats your style).

Hmm ... never considered it.

Still, I'd be much more comfortable charging for doing table top as online gaming limits me. I rely alot on reading the players and would desire this even more as a pro to provide value.