PDA

View Full Version : One World to Another IC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 02:19 AM
A thick white fog fills the area, making it impossible to clearly see anything from more than a few yards away. It appears to be in the middle of a sparse, hilly forested region, and from how light it seems it's likely midday.

From the left, a faint whispering sounds, but there's nothing there. Turning back, there is now a line of what appear to be torches. However, instead of flames, the light comes from a small red crystal, which glows dimly and occasionally gives off small red electrical sparks. The torches are spread out enough that the next one in line can just be seen upon reaching the closest one. Every few torches, there is also a sign displaying a jumbled mix of characters in different languages.

With each passing sign, the characters change, until it finally shows a message written in Common:
"It has been reported that some victims of torture, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being tortured. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP."

The sound of whispering comes from behind again, but just like last time, there's nothing there. Turning back reveals a humanoid figure, with solid white eyes that glow with an ethereal light.

"WAKE UP."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marth jerks awake. The strange dream has her heart racing, and as she looks around, she finds herself in an unfamiliar place. It looks like... an infirmary of some kind? There's nobody else here, but the faint clattering of metal on ceramic can be heard coming from the staircase on the opposite side of the room.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 08:28 AM
Marth stands up slowly and adjusts her hat low over her blue hair. She pulls her gloves into place and picks up her quarterstaff, stepping slowly towards the doorway to the staircase. She stands to the side and raises her weapon, ready to strike as soon as the creature comes into view.

Readying an action to attack a creature if it appears hostile (holding a weapon, speaking about harming her, etc) [roll0][roll1]
[roll2]/[roll3]

Disguise to appear male: [roll4]

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 08:47 AM
There doesn't appear to be anybody coming down the stairs. now that she's closer to the stairway, she can hear faint voices coming from up above, as well as... water flowing? No, not flowing, it sounds more like a glass is being filled.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 08:56 AM
Realizing that she is not in immediate danger, Marth puts her weapon away and begins to think about her situation. What was the last thing she remembers doing? She was in her bed in Pangolais when she heard a knock on the door. Thinking that there might be an intruder, she had imbibed one of her mutagens, and then everything after that was fuzzy. She always experiences a bit of memory loss just after consuming her mutagens, so that's normal. Still, to think she would have ended up in a completely different place. And what was that dream? Did she really fall asleep somehow? That doesn't usually happen while she's under the effects of a mutagen.

Marth takes the opportunity to look around the infirmary and see what she can salvage to use to escape from this place.

Perception: [roll0]

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 09:00 AM
There isn't much in the infirmary, just some bedding and a few empty jars that smell like they'd contained medicine at one point.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 09:17 AM
The next thing Marth does is check her arms and legs for any sign of injection. She runs her tongue along the back of her teeth to taste for any potion or medicine that she might have swallowed recently. While she's at it, she does a few squats and curls to test her muscles and joints. There must be a reason for her to be here.

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 09:22 AM
There are no injection marks that she can find, and her body seems to be working just fine, if a bit stiff from however long she'd been in that bed. While she does taste medicine when she runs her tongue over her teeth, Marth recognizes it as a simple and harmless brew meant to help reduce a fever.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 09:28 AM
Marth sighs and shakes her head. If she's already been healed, it's time to go. She enters the staircase and finds that she cannot travel down. With trepidation, she begins to climb the stairs softly.

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 09:35 AM
Marth heads up the stairs, not making any noise on the soft carpeting of the stairs. However, she reaches the top just as someone turns the corner toward the staircase. The figure looks vaguely human, but with a bald, almost blocky head and a bulbous nose that nearly hangs down over their mouth. The figure gasps, looking surprised and even a little... happy?

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 09:37 AM
Marth hesitates. "...Hello?" she asks in her practiced masculine voice.

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 09:39 AM
The figure starts speaking in an unfamiliar language for a few seconds before stopping, as if realizing that she can't understand the words. They beckon for Marth to follow.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 09:44 AM
Marth nods and walks behind the figure, looking around the new floor to get her bearings.

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 09:51 AM
The building appears to be made from stone bricks, with pale-colored wooden floorboards. Judging by the cracks and wear on the walls, it looks like the place is either very old or has seen some rough times. Rather than having torches on the walls, there are lamps filled with what looks like glowing yellow crystals hanging from the ceiling.

The person leads her into another room, where there is a small table near the center. It looks as if this is a dining area of some sort, though nobody is there aside from them at the moment. They motion for Marth to sit down, and gesture to a bowl of fruit at the center of the table.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 09:56 AM
Marth takes a seat and glances at the bowl of fruit. She picks up a piece and takes a cautious bite.

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 10:00 AM
Marth grabs an apple, and finds that it's surprisingly sweet-tasting compared to the ones she's used to. The person smiles and motions for her to wait here, before leaving the room. Marth is now by herself in the dining room; what will she do from here?

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 10:05 AM
Marth considers her options, but decides that waiting here is the best action she can take. The creature seems to realize she can't understand it, so maybe it's gone off to find someone who speaks Common? Information is better than wandering off aimlessly.

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 10:11 AM
After a few minutes the person returns, with someone who appears to be another member of the same race. The newcomer is visibly older, with a long gray beard hanging down to their chest and the hunched back of an old man.

When he speaks, it's in a kind and soft voice, like one might expect of someone talking to their grandchild. "Ah... you are awake. We were beginning to worry."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 10:15 AM
Marth frowns when she hears that. "Worry? How long was I unconscious?"

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 10:20 AM
"You were found in the woods outside the village wall four days ago. It's possible that you were asleep for longer than that, but given the state of the world it's extremely unlikely." He sits down across from her and turns to the other person, speaking a few words in that other language. The first person nods and leaves the room. "You're probably starving. Vem will be back shortly with food for you. In the meantime, I'm sure you have questions, and I'd be happy to answer them to the best of my ability."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 10:24 AM
Marth considers her options carefully. "Where am I?" she starts with.

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 10:32 AM
"Right now, you are in the town of Colkirk in the S'redal kingdom. As far as where you are in relation to the world you hail from, I'm afraid I do not know. That is a mystery that no one of this world has ever been able to solve."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 10:59 AM
"I'm confused. You're saying that I'm in...another world? It's true, I've never heard of this kingdom, but...I also don't remember traveling to another world through any sort of portal..." She touches her head with a dazed look. She knows little about arcane power, but the ability to cross planes is pretty specific.

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 11:01 AM
He nods. "Yes, that is what I am saying. If it weren't for the fact that this has been happening for thousands of years in our world, I would have a hard time believing it myself."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 11:08 AM
Marth stands up. "Okay, then how do I go home? Since this has been happening for thousands of years you must have come up with a way to send people back home by now, yes?"

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 11:12 AM
He sighs and shakes his head. "I'm afraid we don't. Not for a lack of trying, mind you, but all of the attempts that have been made to send the newcomers back have met with failure. Now, there have been instances of someone from another world simply disappearing without a trace, and it's possible that they managed to find a way back to their home plane, but we have no way of knowing how they managed it."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 11:28 AM
Marth thinks about that. She does need to get back home if she's ever going to complete her research. But if she wastes all of her time searching for a route back that does not exist, she will end up losing valuable years that she could spend establishing a home and family on this plane instead.

"...What do you plan to do with me now?"

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 11:32 AM
He raises an eyebrow. "'Do with you'? We don't plan on doing anything to you. You are free to stay and join our community if you like, but if you would rather leave that is fine as well."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 11:33 AM
Marth hesitates. "...That's a kind offer, sir. But I think I would rather explore this world a bit more, and get a better understanding of just what I've gotten myself into."

She offers a hand. "My name is Marth. I'm an alchemist from the plane of Golarion."

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 11:38 AM
He shakes her hand. "I am Sol, the high priest of this temple."

The door opens, and the person from before enters with a tray of food. He places it on the table before nodding to them and leaving. On the tray is a loaf of fresh bread, as well as some bacon, baked potato slices, and a bowl of oatmeal.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 11:41 AM
Everything smells amazing. Marth's eyes widen. "Thank you, Vem!"

She sits down and starts piling everything she can get onto a plate, and quickly stuffs her face. It's not very ladylike of her, but hey, she gave up on that a long time ago. She tears a piece of crisp bacon apart with her teeth and devours it in one gulp. "Wow, you were right, I am starving!"

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 11:43 AM
Sol chuckles. "Your people usually are when you first awaken. Now, do you have any further questions?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 11:43 AM
Marth swallows a bit of bread and thinks. "You say 'my people'...does that mean there are other humans here? Do they have their own tribe somewhere?"

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 11:45 AM
"Sorry, when I say 'your people' I was referring to those not from this world as a whole, not humans specifically. But yes, there are other humans here. As far as having their own tribe... I don't know of any nearby, but a number of newcomers have joined the communities of the kingdoms, and I've heard of them founding their own settlements in distant lands."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 11:48 AM
"The kingdoms? What can you tell me about the kingdoms?" Marth asks curiously.

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 11:53 AM
"S'redal lies near the eastern end of this continent. For the most part it is a region of plains and forests, with some mountainous areas to the northwest and the ocean on its eastern border. The port of Gateon is due east of here, and the nearest settlement is Pinegrove to the southwest."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 12:08 PM
Marth shakes her head. "That's not what I mean. What are they like? Are they peaceful? Are they large? Who are the kings? Is there work there?"

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 12:16 PM
"It's a fair-sized kingdom, and for the most part its people are friendly, if a little cautious around newcomers. There are a handful of clans that are adamantly opposed to allowing those from other worlds into our communities, and likewise there are groups of newcomers who would rather cause trouble than live alongside us, but they are rare in S'redal and mostly keep to themselves in the wilder regions of the kingdom. Our current queen is Rela the Ghastslayer. I hear that time is starting to catch up to her after all these years, but she is still a formidable warrior and a benevolent ruler."

He scratches his chin in thought. "As far as work... I doubt you'd have much trouble finding some here in Colkirk, but it would mostly be helping on the farms or simple bounties. If you're looking for something grander, you would be better off going to one of the larger settlements."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 12:21 PM
"So then you do have currency here?" Marth asks. "But how should I know how much to ask for? It seems like a lot of people would try to take advantage of an otherworlder and pay them very low."

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 12:30 PM
"Yes. Originally we traded in emeralds, but over time we've shifted to the same coinage that is used in other worlds. It helps otherworlders integrate into our society, and it's become a more convenient form of currency with how common metal is compared to gems." He shakes his head. "We owe a lot of our advancements to those of other worlds. While there are some in the larger cities who might take advantage of you being foreign to our lands, they are few and far between. The majority of our people will give you a fair wage for your work."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 12:37 PM
Marth's ears perk up. "Emeralds? There are emeralds in this world? Enough to use as a base form of currency? ...Does this world have dragons then?"

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 12:39 PM
Sol frowns. "A handful, yes, but... most of them aren't native to the plane we are in."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 12:41 PM
That makes sense. Marth stands up. "Very well. Thank you, for everything you've given me Sol. I need to go and...figure some things out now." She heads for the door, looking for a way out of this place.

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 01:23 PM
Sol directs her to the way out of the building. When she gets outside, she finds herself in a small garden with a short stone wall, and over the wall she can see that the garden and the building are both on top of a large hill overseeing a wide meadow. Far to the north is a forest, and at the western end of the garden is a stone path leading down into a larger section of the temple.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 01:33 PM
"What a vast landscape...and diverse as well. What kind of world is this?" she wonders aloud. She draws her quarterstaff and begins descending the hill, heading towards the meadow.

Climb: [roll0]

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 01:39 PM
It's quickly apparent that going down a hill this steep wasn't the best idea. Marth finds that several of the handholds are loose, and a few break out from under her hands and feet on the way down. However, she makes it down to the meadow without any injury.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 01:41 PM
The rough climb down is enough for Marth to second-guess her decision. She turns back and starts climbing upward, pulling herself over the wall. She opts to head down the path instead, looking into the rest of the temple.

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 01:50 PM
Inside the temple, Marth finds that the roof is held up by polished pillars of white marble, with matching pews neatly arranged in front of a small raised platform at the near end. Plush red and gray carpet covers the stone floors, and a dome of blue glass looms high over the pews, allowing the daylight in. The north and west walls of the temple have been made into a balcony overlooking the meadows in those directions. Another doorway lies to the south, leading to a stone walkway that appears to descend the hill's southern side toward the rest of the town.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 01:58 PM
Marth approaches the small platform. Perhaps she will discover some idea as to what this temple was built to worship there?

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 02:02 PM
The altar is bare; it looks more like it's used as a podium for holding holy texts during services rather than as an actual object of worship.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 02:10 PM
Marth frowns. Well, at least she knows this bizarre world has some god or another looking out for it.

She heads to the stone pathway to check out the town.

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 02:16 PM
As Marth leaves the temple, she finds two trios of statues flanking the walkway, each depicting a humanoid individual bearing some manner of item in their hands. The three on the right hold an axe, a sword, and a bow, while the three on the left hold a book, a pickaxe, and what looks like a small bottle.

Further down the path, there is a wooden awning covering a stone stairway leading down, and from the top of the stairs Marth can see most of the village down below. The stairs themselves branch off to the left and right rather than leading straight down to the collection of houses below.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 02:28 PM
Marth stops in front of the statue that holds the small bottle and kneels before it. "I suppose you are some patron saint of alchemy...it relieves me to think that alchemy may still exist in this world. If there is knowledge of my trade, certainly there is demand for it as well. My name is Marth Ylisse of Golarion, and I pray that you watch over me in the days ahead."

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 02:40 PM
"Ryqmir, the god of medicine and alchemy. I figured you would find yourself drawn to Him." Sol makes his way down the temple stairs toward her, his walking stick making a soft thumping noise with each step. "His blessings have saved many lives over the years."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 02:44 PM
"A god of alchemy? Ridiculous," Marth replies, looking at the statue before her. "Alchemy is about correcting...imperfections." She looks down at her chest. "It is the next step in evolution, a step that we manufacture. We take into our own hands the power to progress that which biology or nature has halted. A god has no need of alchemy. The ultimate goal of alchemy is godhood, after all. Why else would so many kill in the name of finding a true philosopher's stone? Immortality gives you time, time to solve every question, time to find every answer. Time to ascend as a true god. Alchemy is the ultimate vice. A god has nothing to gain from such endeavors."

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 02:52 PM
He shrugs. "Believe what you will. As I see it, Ryqmir gave us the knowledge of alchemy so that we would have the choice to improve ourselves. Perhaps He even hopes that one day we will join Him in godhood. Until then, I am content to know that His teachings are being used to save and improve lives."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 03:02 PM
Marth nods slowly. "Alchemy...as a gift. I see. Very well then. Thank you for your explanation, Sol. Might I trouble you to show me around the town?"

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 03:11 PM
Sol nods and begins walking down the stairs with her. He gestures to the split in the path heading to the left. "Over there is the water wheel that we use for milling our grain. The stairs loop back around toward the town hall." He leads her down the right pathway, past a few houses built into the hillside, and further down the hill where the stairs turn back on themselves. The stone walkway passes by a small terrace with tables and chairs that offers another view of the fields to the west, and eventually leads to a large building carved into the stone of the hill. A sign over the door depicts a crescent moon and the words 'The Sleeping Eagle'. "This is the local inn, they've usually got a spare bed or two available for travelers."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 03:15 PM
Marth smiles. "Thanks Sol. Come on, let me buy you a beer for your trouble. Or, whatever you drink in this world." She opens the door to the tavern and heads inside. If there's a bar, she takes a seat at it.

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 03:18 PM
To Marth's surprise, the person behind the counter is a dwarf. The bearded man nods to them as they sit down at the counter. "What can I get for ye?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 03:24 PM
Marth smiles. "Greetings, serah! It's nice to see someone else from Golarion here! ...Though I suppose the fact that you're here in this village really does confirm my fears...that someone from my world would be better off making the best of this world than trying to go home. ...Morgan..." She clenches her fist.

"Ah...forgive me. I've only just arrived. I'm still coping with the shock," she says, forcing a smile. Can't cry here. Men don't cry. Hold your head up high and drink away half the pain, then punch the rest out.

"We'll have two fire whiskeys, please."

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 03:26 PM
"Comin' right up." He starts mixing the drinks.

Sol looks over at her. "Don't give up hope, Marth. You may still find a way back to your world."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 03:29 PM
Marth's mind races as she thinks about the situation. "Interplanar travel is beyond my skillset, no matter how I look at it. If I want to return home, I need to find a mage. A powerful mage at that. Who is the strongest wizard in the kingdom, Sol?"

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 03:31 PM
"Hmm... The strongest that I am aware of would be the Archmage at the capital."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 03:35 PM
Marth raises an eyebrow. "The capital...and how far away is that?"

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 03:47 PM
"Taking the most direct path, it is about a week's travel by horse."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 03:53 PM
Marth takes her drink and sips it for a moment. "Riding off in one direction for a week straight on my own doesn't sound like a good idea...unless my goal is to end up lost and starved. Maybe I should hire a guide."

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 03:56 PM
"That may be a good idea. The roads will lead you to the capital, but they go around the kingdom's terrain and will take longer than a direct trip."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 04:08 PM
Marth glances around the bar. Maybe there's someone else she can talk to, someone who will give her information Sol does not have access to.

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 05:16 PM
There are a few travelers sitting around the tavern. Some look like they're traveling merchants or craftsmen, but there's one that stands out: a half-elf sitting at one of the tables is wearing a forest-camouflaged cloak, and has what looks like a small leopard curled up on the floor beside her.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 05:17 PM
Marth pays the tab and thanks Sol for his time. She approaches the half-elf. "Hail, friend. Do you mind if I join you?"

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 05:18 PM
She looks up as she tears a chunk of jerky in half and holds part of it down to the leopard. "I suppose... from the look of you, you must be new around here."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 05:21 PM
Marth looks down at her outfit in surprise. "Sorry? Is there something I should be wearing?" she asks in confusion.

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 05:26 PM
The half-elf shakes her head. "No, but you've got that 'wide-eyed wonder' look that all otherworlders have when they first get here. That, and your outfit looks a little too fresh for someone who's been here for a while; most people would either look more weathered or they would've picked up some clothes that are closer to what the natives wear."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 05:28 PM
"You're quite perceptive. Well, since you've been here longer than I have, perhaps you can help me get my bearings a bit?" Marth asks, sitting down across from her.

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 05:33 PM
She nods and unfurls a map onto the table. "I was born here, so I know most of the region like the back of my hand. What were you hoping to find?" She's giving Marth a suspicious look, though, like she's expecting her to do something unpleasant.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 05:44 PM
"Eventually, I would like to find a way home. My thoughts on that was to try and speak to a powerful mage, but perhaps you know of another way?"

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 05:48 PM
"Well, finding a mage is likely the only way you're going to even come close." She crosses her arms. "I'm not sure how else you plan on trying to get back to your world."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 06:03 PM
"Great! So I heard tell of an Archmage in the capital. Can you show me where that is?"

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 06:05 PM
She points to the northwestern corner of the map. "Here. It's a pretty long walk, though."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 06:18 PM
Marth nods and stands up. "Well, I guess I better get started, then. Thanks for the help."

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 10:55 PM
She nods. "So you're going all that way by yourself, then?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 11:00 PM
Marth chuckles. "That's not very likely. We have a saying in Golarion. 'Mayall ester reprimus'. It's Sylvan for 'You are never alone on the open road'. Travelers form special bonds that you will never see simply by remaining close with a few people from your home town. You stop to help someone in need, and it turns out they have directions to keep you from getting lost. Offer a man a slice of bread and he may end up giving you a fine blade. As long as you are kind to strangers, they will be kind back. And once two strangers have exchanged kindnesses, can they even be called strangers anymore? Indeed, the open road is the friendliest place in the world. I imagine the same holds true here."

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 11:11 PM
The half-elf blinks. "I... wow, that sounds just like something my father used to tell me about."

She stands up. "When are you leaving? I can escort you part of the way there, at least."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 11:27 PM
Marth nods. "Many thanks! I'm heading out now, actually, so if you want to come along you're more than welcome. My name is Marth Ylisse. I'm an alchemist by trade."

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 11:43 PM
"I'm Lorayna Brightstar. Nice to meet you." She gets up and slings her bow over one shoulder. "My companion here is Voxel."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-22, 11:49 PM
Marth nods. "Gre-"

Don't be excited she's coming with you. She's not going to want to be girlfriends with you. You can't chat her up or gossip with her.

"Ahem. I'm a lucky guy to be traveling with such a specimen of beauty!" Marth says after a moment. Perfect. That's a totally normal guy thing to say. Plus, she obviously put a ton of work into her hair today and she's been waiting for someone to compliment her, obviously. But not in a creepy way.

Diachronos
2017-05-22, 11:59 PM
Lorayna frowns and shakes her head. "...whatever, let's get going."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-23, 12:02 AM
What? What did I say? That was really nice of me and she didn't even need to fish for it! Geez, what a rude girl she is.

Marth nods and the two of them leave the tavern. Marth decides to stop by a shop for adventurers to check out local weapons and armor and see if she needs anything.

Diachronos
2017-05-23, 12:06 AM
Lorayna brings her away from the tavern and down another flight of stairs, then across a bridge spanning the river that bisects the town. She points to another bridge leading to a small stone building. "The smith is over there."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-23, 12:07 AM
Marth enters the smith's shop. "Hello?" she calls.

Diachronos
2017-05-23, 12:14 AM
She finds another member of the local race standing over an anvil, lightly tapping a red-hot strip of metal with a hammer. "I'll be with you in just a moment."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-23, 07:02 AM
Marth nods her thanks and takes the opportunity to glance at the other weapons that are hanging on the walls.

Diachronos
2017-05-23, 08:07 AM
There's a wide variety of weapons on display, as well as several sets of different armor. Most of it looks to be of average quality, though a few are a bit more well-made and some have runic symbols etched into them.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-23, 08:28 AM
Marth picks up a runic sword and examines it curiously while she waits for the smith to finish up.

Appraise: [roll0]

Diachronos
2017-05-23, 09:16 AM
The runes glow faintly as Marth picks them up. Upon closer examination, the blade looks like its edge is forged from silver.

The sound of clanging metal stops. "Sorry about that wait. What can I do for you?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-23, 09:17 AM
Marth smiles. "Hello. I'm going on a trip to the capital city, and would like to procure a weapon or armor that might protect me better against the wildlife that walk those roads. Do you have any suggestions?"

Diachronos
2017-05-23, 09:26 AM
"Well, for the most part any weapon or armor will do for the wildlife, it's just a matter of what you're most comfortable with using. But the more monstrous creatures, you'll want some specific gear. Bladed weapons for zombies, blunt weapons and something to protect you from arrows if you're fighting skeletons... creepers, you're going to want whatever will let you keep as much distance away from them as possible, and anything that'll set them on fire if you can get it."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-23, 09:30 AM
Marth raises an eyebrow. "There are undead in this world? And common enough for me to be warned about them?"

She turns to Lorayna. "Who is animating them?"

Diachronos
2017-05-23, 09:33 AM
"Nobody. They just... appear, in the middle of the night."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-23, 09:38 AM
"What?!" Marth stares in shock. "Skeletons and zombies have no intelligence of their own. If they rise from the grave with no direction...what on earth would they do?"

Her eyes shine brightly. "What does a creature who originally had above animal intellect do with free will? This is an amazing research opportunity! My good man, I'll take your finest blade! My quarterstaff will suffice to take down zombies, and my companion surely knows more about these 'creepers' than I do, so I will leave them to her."

Diachronos
2017-05-23, 09:45 AM
The blacksmith smiles. "Well, you're holding it. Just finished making it a few days ago, too, so there's no wear on it."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-23, 09:47 AM
The alchemist looks down at the sword in her hand with surprise. She gives it a test swing.

Marth is only proficient with simple weapons. Can she wield this?

Diachronos
2017-05-23, 09:51 AM
The blade feels a little awkward to swing; the balance is off from the sorts of things that Marth is used to using.
The weapon is a gladius, so no.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-23, 09:52 AM
"How much for it?" she asks the blacksmith.

Diachronos
2017-05-23, 09:56 AM
"405 gold pieces."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-23, 12:16 PM
Marth winces. "Well...would you settle for 300 gold pieces and a favor? I bet you could use some muscle to gather materials, maybe clear a new trade route?"

Show a kindness, get a kindness. A favor for a discount and the two of them will no longer be strangers.

Diachronos
2017-05-23, 01:01 PM
"Hm... Well, I do have a couple of deliveries that I needed to make today." He reaches under the counter and pulls out a sheet of parchment with a list on it. "If you could take care of these for me, I'll go down to 300 for you."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-23, 02:13 PM
A day's work would yield 105 gold? If only every commoner were so lucky. But Marth imagines the smith has few other prospects to sell such an expensive item for full price in such a small town, 300 is probably the most he was realistically hoping for.

"We have a deal. Thank you for your generosity," she says with a smile.

Marth takes the paper and looks at it. Where will she be traveling today?

Diachronos
2017-05-23, 02:19 PM
While Marth looks at the sheet, the smith gets the equipment that she's going to be delivering.

The language on the paper looks like gibberish, but Lorayna simply nods after glancing at it. "Most of them are in town, the farthest one from here is maybe an hour's walk down the road from the town gate."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-23, 02:21 PM
Marth nods. "Then I guess we will leave tomorrow. I will rely on you to help me find these addresses. Thank you for your assistance, Lorayna."

Diachronos
2017-05-23, 02:32 PM
"So do the deliveries today and head out in the morning? Sounds like a plan." She helps Marth gather up the tools and weapons that the smith is having them deliver.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-23, 02:35 PM
Marth thanks the smith and walks outside, her arms full of gear. "So, what is your profession Lorayna?"

Diachronos
2017-05-23, 02:41 PM
"Mainly, I'm a hunter and explorer. I scout out the area, and bring back whatever wildlife I manage to catch."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-23, 02:47 PM
Marth nods. "I see. Well it's good that you manage to keep such a clear complexion even when you're out sweating in the sun all day. Your foundation must cost a for- uh I mean...who doesn't love a chick with a good tan, am I right? Up top."

He high fives a confused-looking male native passing by and gives Lorayna a winning smile.

Diachronos
2017-05-23, 02:55 PM
She doesn't look amused. "...Is this going to be a regular thing while we're on the road together?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-23, 02:57 PM
Marth blinks. "Are you mad at me? I'm just trying to be nice!"

Diachronos
2017-05-23, 02:59 PM
"You're trying to flirt, and I don't care for it."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-23, 03:02 PM
"Excuse me? Why would I want to flirt with you, you're a wo-..." Her eyes widen in realization.

"Look, why can't a guy just tell a woman she looks nice because he thinks she looks nice? Why does it have to be flirting?"

Diachronos
2017-05-23, 03:22 PM
"It's the way you're saying it. It comes across like you're hitting on me."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-23, 03:58 PM
Marth is at a loss for words. "Uhhh..."

What would a guy do in this situation?

Call her a bitch! What? No, I can't do that! But that's what a man would do...

Marth smiles. "Sorry. My mistake. I'll try to avoid that in the future."

Diachronos
2017-05-23, 05:17 PM
Lorayna shrugs. "Alright." She leads Marth around the town to make the deliveries. During that time, Marth is able to see that the vast majority of those living here are welcoming of strangers, if a bit wary. The language differences are easily smoothed over by Lorayna.

All that's left now is to make the delivery to the outpost beyond the walls.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-23, 05:38 PM
Marth keeps her quarterstaff ready as she moves outside the town walls. She looks around, searching for approaching enemies as they walk.

Diachronos
2017-05-23, 11:02 PM
There isn't any immediate sign of danger or trouble, but Lorayna draws her bow as they leave through the gate. "Come on, we'd better hurry. I don't want to end up stuck out here when night falls."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-23, 11:36 PM
"As you wish," Marth replies. She picks up her pace, already thinking about how she will master this strange new weapon and use it to her advantage. "What comes out at night? The undead?"

Diachronos
2017-05-23, 11:46 PM
"Undead, creepers... if it's hostile, it comes out at night. That's why every settlement has some sort of wall or other way to keep things out, and why they keep their gates closed until the sun comes back up."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-24, 12:12 AM
Marth nods. "Alright. Let's make haste then."

She quickens her pace, sprinting when possible, heading to the outpost.

Diachronos
2017-05-24, 12:28 AM
It takes them about an hour to get to the outpost. The location is a stone tower, about three stories tall, with a wall of sharpened logs surrounding it. Upon seeing them, the guards open the gate to let them inside.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-24, 12:34 AM
Marth enters the outpost and looks around with a smile. "Excuse me? We have some equipment from the smith in town."

Diachronos
2017-05-24, 12:53 AM
The guards direct her and Lorayna to the base of the tower, where one of the workers accepts the delivery. "We can't tell you how glad we are to finally get these. Keeping the roads clear is tough enough with worn-down equipment."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-24, 12:55 AM
Marth smiles. "I'm glad to have helped. So you all work to try and keep the roads safe for everyone else? That's very noble of you."

Diachronos
2017-05-24, 01:02 AM
The man nods. "We've all got to do our part. If travelers can't feel safe on the roads, the settlements will start becoming more and more isolated from each other, and we all depend on one another for the things we can't get ourselves."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-24, 01:06 AM
Marth nods. "That makes sense...but if you're working so hard, then that must mean fewer people are dying on the road, right? I wonder how undead can keep rising every night without a steady supply of corpses?"

Diachronos
2017-05-24, 01:12 AM
The man frowns. "The undead here don't always rise from corpses. If you're killed by one you'll likely come back as one, yes, but most of them just seem to crawl out of holes somewhere or just... pop into existence out of the darkness."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-24, 01:15 AM
Marth blinks in realization. "I see...they must be coming from other worlds, just like I did. How strange. I want to help solve this problem but it will be impossible until I understand more about why this world seems to call other planes to it."

Diachronos
2017-05-24, 01:20 AM
"Well, if you can figure out what's causing this, you'll be the first. We'll take whatever help we can get with keeping these things from coming back."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-24, 08:36 AM
Marth nods firmly. "Don't worry! I'll definitely discover the truth. No matter how long it takes. The undead will retreat from these streets or I will die trying."

Diachronos
2017-05-24, 08:58 AM
The man chuckles. "Well, I at least hope you turn out better than the last person who said that. Poor bastard didn't last a week out there."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-24, 09:11 AM
Marth's expression darkens. To not only be stranded in a world you don't recognize, but to then die alone trying to make it a better place for everyone who would come after you...

She sniffs and a tear escapes her eye.

Diachronos
2017-05-24, 09:13 AM
Seeing that he's upset her, he shakes his head. "The guy was a showoff anyway. You seem like you've got a level head on your shoulders, I'm sure you'll be fine out there."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-24, 09:16 AM
Marth straightens up. "I'm fine!"

The last thing she needs right now is these people feeling sorry for her...that's the reason she wears this disguise in the first place.

"Come on, Lorayna, let's go back to the shop."

Diachronos
2017-05-24, 09:27 AM
It's close to sunset by the time they get back. The villagers are beginning to wrap up their business for the day, and the guards on top of the settlement wall are making preparations to close everything up for the night.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-24, 09:29 AM
Marth enters the smithy. "Excuse me? Your deliveries have all been made, and I have the 300 gold I promised right here." She places the pouch on the counter.

Diachronos
2017-05-24, 09:32 AM
He nods and takes the pouch, before placing the sword on the counter. "Pleasure doing business with you."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-24, 09:37 AM
Marth picks up the weapon and examines it more thoroughly.

Alchemists can't detect magic and I don't have identify prepared, but I still need to know the weapon's stats for my character sheet. :smallbiggrin:

Diachronos
2017-05-24, 09:46 AM
It's a masterwork silver gladius

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-24, 09:50 AM
Marth nods. "Thank you. I wish you well."

She arranges to meet Lorayna at the tavern in the morning before returning to the temple and asking Sol if she can stay one more night.

Diachronos
2017-05-24, 06:30 PM
Sol nods. "Yes, you're more than welcome to stay here for the night. I'll have one of the guest rooms made up for you."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-24, 07:50 PM
Marth smiles gratefully and lies down in the bed once it's ready for her. She finally lets her tears fall. She's alone. She's scared. She misses her little sister and her parents dearly. She will probably never see any of them again.

So she cries and cries, curling up into a ball as she drifts off to sleep.

Diachronos
2017-05-24, 08:02 PM
In the morning, Marth is woken up by the sound of someone knocking on her door.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-24, 08:37 PM
Marth is confused. She puts on her outfit and adjusts it in the mirror before opening the door.

Disguise: [roll0]

Diachronos
2017-05-24, 08:38 PM
Sol is on the other side of the door. "I hope I didn't disturb you, Marth. Breakfast will be ready soon, if you're hungry."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-24, 09:24 PM
Marth yawns and rubs her eyes. "Sure. Let's eat."

She heads to the dining room with Sol and sits down. "So, what made you decide to preside over a temple?"

mehatasonia1
2017-05-25, 05:08 AM
GATE CSE BOOKS are made available online by the institute. These GATE COMPUTER SCIENCE BOOKS are compiled to give complete education and these BOOKS FOR GATE CSE are worked upon by experts. The GATE BOOKS FOR COMPUTER SCIENCE are designed to cover all the topics and are much better than any other GATE BOOKS FOR CSE. onlineicegate.com

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 08:31 AM
"Well, it's sort of a tradition. My family has served at this temple for generations, and staying to continue the trend just felt right."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 08:46 AM
"Generations...so then your family has been a bunch of natives here? A native population and an immigrant population scurrying for resources...that must be tough. Do you get by on donations from the community?" He has to eat somehow after all.

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 09:01 AM
"A combination of donations and trading, yes. The villagers share their food supplies with us in exchange for spiritual guidance and our healing services, but we also use the donations to purchase things that are needed for the temple."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 09:02 AM
"Food supplies? So you have farmers in this village? I haven't seen any animals around here..."

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 09:08 AM
"The livestock and farms are on the far side of the village, near the western wall. You probably would have missed them unless you went over that way." He frowns. "A few of the more stubborn families made their farms outside the walls, despite every sense of logic telling them that it was a bad idea."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 09:12 AM
Marth finishes his breakfast and stands up. "This is a lovely village you have here, but I don't think the quiet farm life is for me. Even if I can't find a way home, I think I'll be happier living in the capital than out here. Still, I appreciate everything you've done for me, Sol."

She offers a friendly handshake. This is how guys hug, right? Yeah. She makes certain her eyes show that mixture of respect and pride that a guy has when he is trying to show another guy how much he likes him.

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 10:16 AM
He smiles and shakes Marth's hand. "I hope that you find a life that will make you happy, whether it's here in our world or back in your own."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 10:23 AM
Marth returns the smile and heads off. She stops in front of the alchemist god statue and bows her head.

"Did you bring me here? ...Heh. Alchemy as a gift from god, huh? Science has always been about what mankind could discover without relying on the gods...at least that's what I thought. If you gave alchemy to this plane...I wonder if you gave it to every plane as well? A pantheon for each plane, yet surely at least some of these gods must affect the universe as a whole, right? ...I'm not one for religion, but if you did bring me here, I hope I meet your expectations."

She raises her head and moves on to the bar to find Lorayna.

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 10:29 AM
Lorayna is eating breakfast at the inn when Marth arrives. "There you are. Did you have any last-minute preparations you need to make?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 10:31 AM
Marth considers that. "I don't...think so. We've got the map, we've got an expert forager and hunter who knows the area, I have a weapon and my alchemy kit, as well as my formulae book and...something else, just in case."

She shakes her head. "We should be good to go."

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 02:44 PM
"Alright." She finishes eating and gets up, and her cat follows along right beside them. "Let's get going, I don't want to be caught out on the road when the sun goes down."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 02:46 PM
There's that warning again. The sun...

Marth heads outside with her. "Can we rent horses or something? Does this world have horses? A horse is a quadruped, usually brown or black or white, and it stands a little taller than a human with a hair-like mane running down the back of its head. Its body is covered in a thin layer of fur but its tail is bushy and dark like its mane. And it makes a sound like 'brff'."

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 03:07 PM
"I know what a horse is, and no, they don't sound like that. At any rate, any horses that this village owns are already being used for labor, and I'd rather not take one of them if it means it could affect their ability to do their work."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 03:11 PM
"Sounds like we're...hoofing it, then," Marth quips, looking at Lorayna for the expected laugh. Girls laugh at boys' jokes all the time, no matter how lame, right? Or is that only when the girl likes the boy?

Diachronos
2017-05-28, 05:15 PM
Lorayna just gives her a blank stare. "...You're not a comedian by profession, are you?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-28, 05:21 PM
Marth winces. Everyone is a critic...

The two of them begin their long trek down the roadside. Marth takes note of the landscape around here. She has never been to this world before, but it seems surprisingly similar to Golarion. How strange. The Plane of Fire, the Nine Hells, Celestia, Elysium, the Abyss...every plane Marth has ever heard of has had a completely different world and inhabitants than the Material. What she sees here could almost pass for the Material itself, save the undead rising for no reason.

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 02:24 PM
The two of them begin making their way along the road, heading northwest toward the capital. The terrain is mostly grassy plains and hills, but mountains can be seen to the south and east, and further west the plains give way to a forested region.

Lorayna glances over as they walk. "You've probably got questions; I'll answer them if I can."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 02:30 PM
Marth considers what to ask.

"Why aren't you married?" she asks suddenly.

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 02:36 PM
She stumbles over her own feet for a moment. "I'm sorry, what?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 02:40 PM
Marth nods. "You're well past the normal age, and it's not like you're ugly or anything. Ooooh, is it because you're all muscley from being outside all day?"

She glances down at the half-elf's toned glutes.

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 02:48 PM
"Why is my marital status any of your business?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 02:50 PM
"Why are you dodging the question? ...oooooh, you had the right guy and scared him away, didn't you?"

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 03:03 PM
"No, that's not it! Why are you even interested in finding out about my love life?!"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 03:05 PM
Marth shrugs. "If you were in my position, wouldn't you find it odd that a woman your age would have enough free time to escort me to the capital?"

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 03:10 PM
"No, I probably wouldn't. Maybe things are different where you're from, but tjst because I'm an adult doesn't mean I have to be married."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 04:30 PM
Marth is confused, but then her eyes light up excitedly.

"Oh! So this society is matrilineal? How interesting! Young birthing age women like yourselves, prancing through the streets with five, ten, twenty lovers, and whoever gets you pregnant, it doesn't matter! They leave you to take care of your children by yourself. That would certainly explain your self-sufficiency. Although...I suppose I'm rather traditional, I think I would still prefer to get married."

Her eyes widen after a moment. "To the right girl. If she ever comes along. Because I'm a man." she clarifies.

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 04:50 PM
Lorayna facepalms. "Just... just stop..."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 05:16 PM
Marth frowns. She's just trying to understand this new world.

She goes quiet as she walks next to Lorayna. What a strange girl she is...

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 05:19 PM
They walk in silence until around noon, when Lorayna walks off the road. "We'll stop here to rest for a little bit, then continue."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 06:14 PM
Marth nods and takes a seat.

"So, if you're a native living in a town full of natives and you basically work alone, why did you bother learning our language?"

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 06:22 PM
"I was born and raised here. My parents were newcomers like you. I ended up picking up their languages as part of growing up."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 06:26 PM
Marth blinks. "They were both new to this world? Did they come here separately and only meet after the planar shift? ...and they got married and had a baby? ...That sounds so...final."

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 06:29 PM
"My father had been here for almost twenty years when my mother arrived. As for why they decided to settle down... I'm not really sure. They never brought it up, and I didn't ask."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 06:33 PM
Marth brings her knees up to her chest. Is she just wasting what precious little time she has left trying to find a path home? Should she give up, find a place to set up shop and try to meet a decent guy?

If she gives up now, she would be saying goodbye to her family forever. But every single traveler before her said those same goodbyes at one point or another.

She feels weak. She wants a nice cold glass of milk and for her father to pat her on the head and tell her everything is going to be okay. Dad...

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 07:09 PM
"...I know that face. You're thinking about home, aren't you?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 07:34 PM
"...It's hard not to. I've been doing my best to go with the flow this whole time but I really miss my family."

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 07:37 PM
"I know what that's like. I miss my parents sometimes too." She sighs. "I guess it's not a fair comparison to your situation, though."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 07:52 PM
Marth raises an eyebrow. "What happened to your parents?"

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 08:00 PM
"My father died in a Netherian raid a few years ago. The city was in danger of being overrun, so he and a few others fought their way into one of their portals to cut off their reinforcements. The portals were closed, but none of them made it back, and..." She sighs. "My mother's still alive, but she's on the other end of the kingdom from here. I just haven't had much of a chance to go back and see her lately."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 08:09 PM
Marth smiles. "Then, let's go see her!" she exclaims, choosing to ignore the sad death entirely for now.

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 08:10 PM
Lorayna raises an eyebrow. "I thought you wanted to go to the capital?"

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 08:12 PM
"Spoiler alert: this world isn't going anywhere any time soon," Marth replies simply. "This mission is a longshot, and don't pretend that it's not. My Hail Mary attempt to try and get back home can sit on the back burner for a while. If we go see your mother, we can at least be certain something will come of it. That's enough reason to give it priority."

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 08:30 PM
She sighs. "I guess we're staying in Colkirk another night, then. The city my mother lives in is in the opposite direction."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 08:34 PM
"I wouldn't mind seeing Sol again," Marth replies with a small smile.

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 09:01 PM
"Alright. We'll head back after lunch, then."

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 09:08 PM
Marth cooks something simple with the herbs that Lorayna gathers for her. The two of them enjoy a nice lunch and make their way back to the small town.

Diachronos
2017-05-29, 09:14 PM
When they get back, Lorayna heads up to the temple, leaving Marth to her own devices.

NeoSeraphi
2017-05-29, 09:19 PM
Marth decides to get a drink, and see if she might meet any other interesting people or hear any new rumors.

Diachronos
2017-06-01, 12:33 PM
The others at the tavern seem to be mostly locals relaxing after a long day. Marth overhears bits and pieces of casual conversation, but nothing major.

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-01, 02:26 PM
Marth orders a drink and considers her options. What can she do to improve her chances of succeeding in this world?

A part of her wants to take off the disguise. She isn't in Nidal anymore, people may be friendlier and nicer to women here. Plus, she's not exactly inviting nice guys to approach her.

In the end, though, she decides against it. No one will try to bother her or take advantage of her while she's not pretty.

She sits quietly until either someone approaches her or the bar closes.

Diachronos
2017-06-01, 04:23 PM
The bar closes a couple hours after the sun goes down. It's time for Marth to head out; where does she go?

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-01, 05:29 PM
Marth decides that she's bothered Sol enough over the last six days or so. She decides to ask around and find where Lorayna is staying. Asking her to share her place with Marth while she's dressed as a boy won't go poorly, will it?

Diachronos
2017-06-01, 05:42 PM
Marth learns that Lorayna usually stays at one of the farmhouses near the village wall, right next to the river that runs through the settlement.

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-01, 06:09 PM
Marth heads to the farmhouse and checks to see if Lorayna is home from the temple yet.

Diachronos
2017-06-01, 07:40 PM
Lorayna is in the fenced-off pen behind the house, in the middle of feeding some chickens.

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-01, 07:46 PM
Marth smiles. "Loraaaaayna!" she calls with a friendly wave. "Can I spend the night with you?"

Diplomacy to unintentionally flirt: [roll0]

Diachronos
2017-06-01, 07:50 PM
Lorayna frowns. "Only if the family I'm staying with says it's okay. And if you're sleeping in a different spot."

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-01, 07:51 PM
"How long have you been in this town? You don't have your own house?" Marth asks, raising an eyebrow.

Diachronos
2017-06-01, 07:58 PM
She shakes her head. "I wander. There are a few families that I've become friends with, and I just stay with them when I'm in the area."

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-01, 08:01 PM
"Well, what are you going to do when you get older? Aren't you worried about leaving yourself enough time to start a family?"

Diachronos
2017-06-01, 08:03 PM
She sighs. "I'll figure it out when the time comes. Until then, I'm not going to worry about something that'll probably never happen."

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-01, 08:04 PM
"That's ridiculous! You have your mother still. Let's ask her to find you a husband while we're there!" Marth suggests with a smile.

Diachronos
2017-06-01, 08:10 PM
"Oh, would you just drop it already?!"

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-01, 08:12 PM
Marth shrugs. "If you want. How long have you had Voxel?"

Diachronos
2017-06-01, 08:13 PM
She seems to relax now that the subject's been changed. "About three years. I've had him since he was just a cub."

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-01, 08:16 PM
"That long? Were you taking care of his mother too?"

Diachronos
2017-06-01, 08:25 PM
She shakes her head. "No, his mother was the companion of one of the city guardsmen."

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-01, 08:26 PM
"Aw, it's so sweet that he let you look after the cub then." She kneels down and reaches out to pet Voxel.

Diachronos
2017-06-01, 08:32 PM
The leopard yawns and settles into his spot as Marth pets him.

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-01, 08:38 PM
Marth heads inside and speaks to the family, requesting some space for herself for the evening.

Diachronos
2017-06-01, 08:42 PM
They readily agree to let her stay for the night, and head up to prepare a spot in the loft for her.

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-01, 08:46 PM
Marth heads up into the loft and glances down at Lorayna. "No peeking!" she calls with a frown.

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-02, 02:23 PM
In the morning, Marth and Lorayna get back on the road to go visit the half-elf's mother.

Diachronos
2017-06-02, 03:20 PM
The road winds its way into the hills as they proceed to the south. Lorayna has her bow out, and while she doesn't have an arrow nocked yet she looks ready to draw one at a moment's notice.

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-02, 03:27 PM
Marth looks at the half-elf curiously. "The undead only come out at night, right? What are you expecting to attack us?"

Diachronos
2017-06-02, 03:32 PM
"There's always a chance. And this stretch of the road has always made me feel uneasy until we're past the main crossroad."

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-02, 03:34 PM
Marth frowns. "You didn't answer the question. What should we be wary of?"

Diachronos
2017-06-02, 03:35 PM
"The undead sometimes come out during the day to attack people, especially in rough terrain like this. Even then, there's local wildlife that might attack us."

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-02, 03:43 PM
Marth carefully clutches her quarterstaff as they advance. She looks around for any sign of evil.

Perception [roll0]

Diachronos
2017-06-02, 03:46 PM
There's no sign of immediate danger, but Marth sees several caverns in the hills that could easily be hiding monsters and other potential threats.

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-02, 03:56 PM
Marth keeps walking for a while. She looks over at Lorayna. "So, do you know anything about potions? I can brew something for your trouble, if you like."

Diachronos
2017-06-02, 03:58 PM
"I'm fine, but thanks." She looks to the southwest, almost like she's trying to look past the hills. "The sooner we get past this stretch of road, the better."

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-02, 04:04 PM
Marth nods in agreement and picks up her pace. She wants to get out of here as soon as possible.

Diachronos
2017-06-02, 04:07 PM
As the sun starts to set at the end of the day, they come to a small outpost built into the hills. "We'll stop here for the night."

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-02, 04:25 PM
Marth begins setting up camp. "Voxel, do you smell any corpses?"

Diachronos
2017-06-02, 04:30 PM
The cat snorts and sits down as Lorayna starts setting up a small fire pit. "I'll take that as a 'no'."

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-02, 04:34 PM
"I'll set up a perimeter then."

She stands up. One hand on her staff, the other reaching for her mutagen.

Diachronos
2017-06-02, 04:38 PM
"I wouldn't worry too much about it. Any undead will have to come down the road to get to us, or they'll drop from above and break their legs in the process."

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-02, 04:47 PM
Marth nods and sits down to eat then.

Diachronos
2017-06-02, 04:49 PM
As they settle down for dinner, Voxel lifts his head and lets out a small growl. Soon after, they hear a distorted grunting noise (https://youtu.be/-lSxSObv8zk?t=4s). Lorayna jumps, and quickly motions to Marth. "Keep your eyes down on the ground."

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-02, 04:56 PM
Marth hesitates, but nods. She lowers her gaze to the ground and waits.

Diachronos
2017-06-02, 04:58 PM
There's a sort of swooping, popping noise, followed by the sound of footsteps just a few yards away from. "If you don't look at it, it won't attack."

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-02, 04:59 PM
"What won't attack us?" Marth asks. Curiosity gets the better of her and she looks up at the grunting creature.

Diachronos
2017-06-02, 05:03 PM
"It's an Ender- what are you doing?!"

Marth looks up to see a humanoid creature with pitch-black skin. It's incredibly tall, maybe nine to ten feet altogether, but rail-thin with similarly long and thin limbs. It emits another grunting noise as it kneels beside a mound of dirt at the edge of their campsite, seeming to be inspecting the mound.

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-02, 05:15 PM
Marth quickly lowers her eyes again. She remains silent, waiting for the strange creature to disappear.

Diachronos
2017-06-02, 05:26 PM
After a few minutes the creature stands and, somehow, plucks a huge cube of dirt out of the mound, before it disappears with a popping sound.

NeoSeraphi
2017-06-02, 06:13 PM
Marth stands up. "What was that...that thing?"