PDA

View Full Version : Help for warlock feats

~Mozza
2017-05-22, 05:05 AM
Hi guys, I really like warlocks and I usually know how to use it and what are the best options for building a decent one. But this time I got some crappy stats and need some help choosing the right feats. Keep in mind this campaign is heavily flavor-side, and we tried to really roleplay this and not playing a rolldice simulator.

So, we are lvl 7, I'm human and I got:
Str: 7
Dex: 11
Cos: 14
Int: 16
Wis: 8
Cha: 18

My feats are:
Improved Iniative
Spellfire Wielder
Focused SLA
Authority

As I said, my choice were flavor-based so my dex is really low for this reason. The problem with this is that I struggle hitting enemies with eldritch blast, because there is always someone in melee and I get this annoying -4.
My DM suggested I could go for point blank shot into precise shot, so at lvl 12 I could easily hit in combat, but at lvl 12 I could probably have much gold to have at least 16 at dex and some decent bab. And I don't really know what feats I should take. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Gruftzwerg
2017-05-22, 05:50 AM
@lvl 11 you get greater invocations.
You could choose Eldritch Cone. It doesn't need an attack roll, but enemies get Reflex save for halve. If your teammates position well, you can fire save at enemies. Since you should have already Fel Flight at that lvl, positioning should be easy for you.

Another combat approach would be to support your team(mates).

You could pick Flee the Scene and reposition those teammates who needs help ( squishy caster engaged by enemy or your Pouncebarb needs some space to charge again. Further you can help you melees to flank the enemy with ease.

Or you could go for Wall of Gloom (and later Wall of Perilous Flame). It's great to block vision from ranged enemies (caster, bowman..) and denying their ranged advantage.

another combat option from lvl 11 for a few lvls would Hellspawned Grace. You turn into a Hellcat and exchange all your stats (incl your warlock SLA) and get the stats of a Hellcat. This brings Telepathy and greater invisibility in daylight as bonus. Downside is, that the stats are fix and besides from buffs there is not lvl based scaling involved and thus it becomes almost useless soon (besides from gr. invis and telep.).

edit: further you could pick at lvl 11 a CC invocation (Chilling Tentacles, Nightmares Made Real) and focus on attacking the enemies stuck into it, while your melee teammates handle those that get out.

Godskook
2017-05-22, 07:30 AM
Slippers of Battle-Dancing are 33,750gp, and eldritch blast counts as a light weapon for the purpose of Weapon Finesse(CArc p73), so check with your DM to see if the slippers can also treat it as a light weapon(it explicitly works with ranged weapons).

Hunter Noventa
2017-05-22, 08:10 AM
With a build like that you're definitely going to want to focus a bit more on the Invocations that give debuffs than Eldritch Blast itself. Of course it's a few levels before you can get those wonderful Tentacles, but you could grab Charm or Flee the Scene for more utility.

The local Warlock Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?252715-The-New-Warlock-Handbook-3-5-WIP) also details your available options.

~Mozza
2017-05-22, 08:56 AM
With a build like that you're definitely going to want to focus a bit more on the Invocations that give debuffs than Eldritch Blast itself. Of course it's a few levels before you can get those wonderful Tentacles, but you could grab Charm or Flee the Scene for more utility.

Altough your advice is very good, my PC is a bit hot-blooded and I didn't really want to go from crazy fire-lover blaster to debuffer.

Anyway, what feats would you recommend? I already read that wonderful guide, but that's for a level of optimization I'm not looking for.

I thought of choosing point blank + precise shot, or some craft item feats. Also, I would like to take extra invocation, but this only when I can take dark invocations.