PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Knight and the Mystic

Drizztguen
2017-05-22, 12:10 PM
Has anyone put any thought into multiclassing an Eldritch knight with a mystic?

Sir cryosin
2017-05-22, 01:25 PM
Has anyone put any thought into multiclassing an Eldritch knight with a mystic?

Why. Everything you again from fighter you can get with 1,2or 5 levels what does Ek offer?

Maxilian
2017-05-22, 01:44 PM
Well....

If you go with Fighter 8, Warlock 2 (Hexblade) and Mystic 5, you get.

Cha based attack (take a thrown weapon), take EB, and use Faithful Archer.

So you get to:

1- Attack with Faithful Archer for free with your Thrown weapon (appears once again in your hands)

2- 3 blast of EB

4- Bonus action to attack again with your thrown weapon.

(Both EB and all your weapon attacks will be CHA based) -Can use the Invocation Grasp of Hadar to pull them into melee to use your bonus action attack in melee instead

Note: There's more likely something better than this, but i was looking for a blaster.

Note2: I guess EK could use the lvl 7 ability with the Soul Knife (bonus action a 1d8 physic) -and maybe combine with other discipline like the one that make you tiny (making it easier for you to sneak around and make more creatures a viable option for mounts)

IMHO Fighter can take advantage of Mystic, EK not that much

Another option is:

Go 8 EK, 2 Warlock Undying Light, 1 Runemaster (fire) and Mystic 1 or 5.

Use Greenflame blade as your Action (get cha added twice) and use the weapon bonus action, have +2 damage on all, get to reroll all damage. (The 5 lvl in Mystic only if you want Fire Form, why? cause theme)

Would need 2 stats unlike the one above (DEX and CHA maybe)

Drizztguen
2017-05-22, 02:03 PM
I've been thinking about multiclass options for my Eldritch knight: a half orc greatsword user. My spells tend to be more melee attack/defence related and I'm coming to the conclusion that my character won't have too many attack spells.

Looking at the multiclass options available I'm not seeing anything that I like, but then I looked at the mystic. Iron durability discipline gives a +1 to AC on focus, as well as Iron Hide, which, with only a 3 level dip in mystic becomes a poor mans Shield. The Giant form discipline can add reach and temporary hit points (ogre form). Mystical recovery allows for some hit point restoration, and psionic resistance gives temporary hit points every turn. Adaptive body allows for some interesting RPing with not needing to eat or breathe, and brute force adds additional damage to attacks.

Granted none of this is unique but with 3 levels you get all of it and more.

Maxilian
2017-05-22, 02:23 PM
A couple of lvl of Mystic also give you the Warlock combo.

1-Go with Light and Darkness Discipline

Get to cast Darkness with your points and can see through it, giving you advantage and giving your enemy disadvantage.

2-Precognition is a really good discipline for a fighter that only wants a couple of lvl (add 1d4 to all rolls making it easier for you to hit, it also work for your spells -so even if you don't have that good INT, this could let you work around that, to activate it, consumes a bonus action).

3-Third Eye, let you get Thremorsense (require concentration though), so you can replicate the Darkness combo with other spells that obscure the area (like Fog cloud or anything like that)

Drizztguen
2017-05-22, 02:55 PM
Would Precognitive Hunch and Bless stack??

Maxilian
2017-05-22, 02:58 PM
Having in mind that you are melee oriented, the darkness combo is quite useful and you don't require much lvls on Mystic for that (start working at lvl 1), if you keep the Darkness thing, at lvl 3 Mystic you can summon 2 Shadows that can help you in combat. (The shadows have a really poor hit, but the ability to take 1d4 of the enemy STR is pretty good as most enemies use STR to attack -Unless caster).

Diminution means that anything can be your mount, so just with 25 gold you can get yourself a mount that you can use almost anywhere (even in the middle of a store) -Mastiff- (Have in mind that for you, it means that you can use a lance 1d12 in one hand, so you could dualwield them or use one and a shield).

Fun fact: Adaptive Body focus let you live on a Bag of Holding.

Bestial Form with 2 lvls let you increase you AC by 2, 5 lvls let you fly (and having in mind that you are STR based), that means that you can grapple people, fly up, let them fall.

Brute Force focus make you really good at Grappling (grappling is better than most people give credit even more at high lvl) -Get expertise and you become a beast- (This is the focus so no need to spend points).

Giant Growth give you extra reach (mostly useful if you plan on going with a hit and run tactics, or if you want to use Sentinel feat)

Iron Durability make you more tanky in general (combine it with the one that let you use your reaction to get resistance on elements to have everything covered)

Mantle of Command is good for you (As you want to be a little bit more tanky -be in the way-), IMHO better if you group have a lot of range pc (though the ability to command a party member to make one weapon attack is really good with a rogue party member)

Mantle of fury is really good if your party have a lot of melee PC (make anyone trying to attack someone else but you, attack with disadvantage and increase the hit chance -add 1d4- to your party members -melee weapons only)

Note: is hard to talk about those that are based on checks or saves as i don't know if you even have a good INT.

Maxilian
2017-05-22, 03:39 PM
Would Precognitive Hunch and Bless stack??

Not sure, i guess they would.

Drizztguen
2017-05-22, 09:03 PM
Thanks Maxilian. My Int is 18 so not too bad for saves.

DnD Coliseum
2017-05-23, 01:17 PM
mystic is quite OP on its own, I dont think it needs multyclassing :)

Maxilian
2017-05-23, 02:33 PM
mystic is quite OP on its own, I dont think it needs multyclassing :)

The point sometimes is not even to make an OP character, but to make an interesting character and... the poster is not a Mystic, is going to be one (he is a EK that wanst to MC into Mystic).

O.T: Your INT is really good, so you can take advantage of any of the save based spells (So... you got everything as an option)