PDA

View Full Version : 5e Simple Problems with Simple Fixes.

Misterwhisper
2017-05-22, 12:50 PM
Just a thread to talk about very small and non-American changing issues that could be fixed with small tweaks.

1. A spear is not a polearm, despite the fact it is the most common polearm in history.

Solution: the spear is included in Polearm Master and other similar abilities.

2. A pike weighs 18 lbs. That is WAY more than is remotely reasonable.

Solution: new weight is 6 pounds.

3. Warlock is almost always a dip class and very rarely a main class due to the 2 invocations at level 2 and all cantrips scaling with total level not class level.

Solution 1: Because they are pact magic users and not normal spell casters, Eldritch blast should be adjusted to scale with only warlock level.

Or

Solution 2: Eldritch blast is not a cantrip at all it is a class ability that scales it'd attacks like a fighter does with extra attack, make it a 1d8 + Cha attack and remove agonizing blast.

Solution 3: rearrange invocations to get 1 at level 2 and then 1 each even numbered level. By level 7 you have broken even and end up with a few extras but do not start with 2.

4. Almost nobody takes Berzerker Barbarian because of the exhaustion mechanic with frenzy.

Solution: instead remove exhaustion from frenzy, and add "in any turn where you make the bonus attack from frenzy you take 1d6 damage from the strain, your damage resistance from rage applies to this damage"

5. True Strike is a garbage spell that nobody ever takes.

Solution: make it a bonus action spell that can apply to the current round but give it a verbal, somatic, and material component.

6. Pact of the blade is weakly balanced due to forcing you to spend an invocation on your extra attack and another on cha to damage.

Solution: give the second attack at level 5 as a pact feature not an invocation.

Rhynear
2017-05-22, 01:25 PM
6. Pact of the blade is weakly balanced due to forcing you to spend an invocation on your extra attack and another on cha to damage.

Solution: give the second attack at level 5 as a pact feature not an invocation.

I prefer making it use your Charisma for to hit and damage as part of the pact of the blade feature and then leaving both invocations in so that you're not more MAD in melee than you would be if you took the Pact of the Tome.

Millstone85
2017-05-22, 01:46 PM
Solution 1: Because they are pact magic users and not normal spell casters, Eldritch blast should be adjusted to scale with only warlock level.Good conclusion, strange reasoning. It is not like cantrips scale with spellcaster level.

Solution 2: Eldritch blast is not a cantrip at all it is a class ability that scales it'd attacks like a fighter does with extra attack, make it a 1d8 + Cha attack and remove agonizing blast.I support this, except for the d8 in place of a d10. I thought the idea was to nerf warlock multiclassing, not the warlock class itself.

Misterwhisper
2017-05-22, 02:00 PM
Good conclusion, strange reasoning. It is not like cantrips scale with spellcaster level.

I support this, except for the d8 in place of a d10. I thought the idea was to nerf warlock multiclassing, not the warlock class itself.

The d10 to d8 was because it auto adds charisma instead of needing agonizing blast.

Millstone85
2017-05-22, 02:08 PM
The d10 to d8 was because it auto adds charisma instead of needing agonizing blast.You have still weakened the warlock's main method of dealing damage.

And why auto-add Cha to begin with? It suggests you see Agonizing Blast as an invocation tax, but then the nerf is all the more surprising.

Sharur
2017-05-23, 01:10 AM
4. Almost nobody takes Berzerker Barbarian because of the exhaustion mechanic with frenzy.

Solution: instead remove exhaustion from frenzy, and add "in any turn where you make the bonus attack from frenzy you take 1d6 damage from the strain, your damage resistance from rage applies to this damage"

5. True Strike is a garbage spell that nobody ever takes.

Solution: make it a bonus action spell that can apply to the current round but give it a verbal, somatic, and material component.

4. I think your solution goes against the spirit of the Frenzy, in that, with the normal Frenzy, you make a decision upfront, and then use it to maximum benefit. Your solution doesn't have an upfront cost, but has an additional cost every time you take the benefit.

I would have Frenzy be choice at the beginning of the Rage. If you frenzy, you lose the damage resistance, but can bonus-action attack, with no fatigue afterwards. Or don't have a penalty, but only enable the bonus-action attack when using Reckless Attack(which I like thematically).

5. Alternatively, give it a range and allow one to cast it on someone else. A combat support cantrip!

Jerrykhor
2017-05-23, 02:00 AM
The d10 to d8 was because it auto adds charisma instead of needing agonizing blast.

That's just poor balancing. The warlock don't need any nerfs.

Pex
2017-05-23, 09:23 AM
Just a thread to talk about very small and non-American changing issues that could be fixed with small tweaks.

Interesting. I wasn't aware 5E publishes a different set of rules in the United States than it does in other parts of the world. So in addition to having to relearn the game based on who is DM because of undefined Skill DCs and vague rules, I have to relearn the game based on what country I'm in?

KorvinStarmast
2017-05-23, 09:30 AM

Solution: give the second attack at level 5 as a pact feature not an invocation. Other than #6, I find your list to be a bunch of solutions looking for a problem. These don't fix anything.
(Out of curiosity, when's the last time you weighed a 15' long wooden pole? A 12' long wooden pole?)
I do like the idea of a spear when being used two handed as pole arm mastery. I don't think it breaks the game, but I can also live with the spear not being PAM material since it has both versatile and thrown properties.

Slipperychicken
2017-05-23, 12:13 PM
Interesting. I wasn't aware 5E publishes a different set of rules in the United States than it does in other parts of the world. So in addition to having to relearn the game based on who is DM because of undefined Skill DCs and vague rules, I have to relearn the game based on what country I'm in?

I don't know how it is for dnd, but the german translation of shadowrun 5e is much better written and balanced than the english one, and even has some content not included in the english version of the game.