PDA

View Full Version : Which caster do you find more limiting?

MrStabby
2017-05-22, 03:53 PM
Two casting classes that seem to cause the most debate/complaint here are the sorcerer and the warlock. Some complain that the sorcerer is too limited because the Sorcerer knows too few spells and this is not adequately offset by metamagic and other class abilities. Others find the warlock's slightly less restricted spell list does not compensate for never being able to cast more than two leveled spells in a fight at most levels played and that this is not adequately offset by a strong cantrip and some at-will spells.

Having played both classes I have to say I found the Sorcerer to be one of the most powerful classes in the game for most of the game and really fun to play with all the extra options that metamagic brought to the table. Warlock on the other hand was a boring drudge wondering when to dole out one of a very limited number of spell slots and just doing the same thing turn after turn, so for me Warlock felt more limited.

Anyone else played both of these and have a view on which feels more restricted?

DireSickFish
2017-05-22, 04:03 PM
Warlock is less a caster and more of a Fighter. They have alwayse on very high per round damage. Any spells are just extra.

Sorcerers seem very limiting when you want to make an "atypical" character. Suddenly those niche spells you pick are taking up valuable real-estate. If you instead make the sorcerer a blaster, and take other spells that are always useful. The class feels strong and metamagic is great. It's a strong but limited class.

I'd say Sorcerer is more limiting. Because it's a limit in spell selection that feels like you have more choice than you actually do. With warlocks you have 2 thing you need to take (the charisma to damage for eldrich blast, and eldrich blast). Then everything else is up to you and can be based purly on flavor/theme.

PeteNutButter
2017-05-22, 04:11 PM
Warlock is definitely more limited. Two slots per short rest for most of his career is so painful. Especially if you spend one putting on AoA before the fight. That makes Hex the other spell more than half the time. Meaning you have almost ZERO choice in what you cast.

Sorcerer is just slightly more limited than a wizard, and it starts to not feel bad as you get higher level with a lot of spells of different levels. The big draw is its heavy appeal to multiclassing. Quicken is just amazing when combined with something better to do than Firebolt with your action, such as attack (gish types) or call lightning etc.

Findulidas
2017-05-22, 04:39 PM
I found the Sorcerer to be one of the most powerful classes in the game for most of the game

I find that really depends on the amount of battles you get per day. If its high then sorc is way less good.