PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5] Spell Focus With SLAs?

Thurbane
2017-05-22, 05:11 PM
I asked this is the RAW thread, but without luck.

Re-posting here:

Q 721

Does the Spell Focus [X] feat increase the DC of SLAs from the same school? I don't think that it does, but I see this feat in a lot of pre-published stat blocks for creatures that only have SLAs.

Is there something I've missed, or is it the usual sloppy stat block syndrome of 3.5?

Cheers - T

BenoftheVale
2017-05-22, 05:56 PM
I haven't found anything that strictly says that it wouldn't, but I would agree that it shouldn't.

Instead, the Ability Focus feat should be used.

You can use the Warlock's Eldritch Blast, which is a spell-like ability, as an example. From page 7 of Complete Arcane:

Metamagicfeats cannot improve a warlock’s eldritch blast (because it is a spell-like ability, not a spell). However, the feat Ability Focus (eldritch blast) increases the DC for all saving throws (if any) associated with a warlock’s eldritch blast by 2. See page 303 of the Monster Manual.

Thurbane
2017-05-22, 07:12 PM
I agree 100% that Ability Focus does work; no question about that.

Spell Focus [General]
Choose a school of magic.

Benefit
Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against spells from the school of magic you select.

Special
You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new school of magic.

I guess the real question is do SLAs count as spells and have a "school of magic". I would imagine they do have a school: at least the ones that directly mimic a spell.

Tiri
2017-05-22, 08:28 PM
I agree 100% that Ability Focus does work; no question about that.

I guess the real question is do SLAs count as spells and have a "school of magic". I would imagine they do have a school: at least the ones that directly mimic a spell.

They do not count as spells, according to the SRD.

Spell-like abilities are magical and work just like spells (though they are not spells

Thurbane
2017-05-22, 09:22 PM
I guess I'll chalk it up to sloppy stat blocks then.

I thought it might be one of the exceptions called out in CArc, but not that I can see.

Actually, double checking Complete Arc, it says the following:

Since spell-like abilities are not actually spells, a warlock cannot benefit from the Spell Focus feat.

Seems pretty air tight.

Definitely poor stat block design, then. I shouldn't be surprised.