PDA

View Full Version : My Little Centaur

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-05-22, 05:32 PM
According to the text under the centaur entry, they count as mounted even when they're not, because they're self-mounted, apparently.

Is there any other way to count as mounted even when you're moving under your own power?

prototype00
2017-05-22, 07:32 PM
Turning yourself into a Centaur? Such as via the Wildrunner spell?

Jormengand
2017-05-22, 08:06 PM
A Zelekhut Inevitable is presumably supposed to be able to do this, but it's written in such a way that it only actually lets it take feats that it can't really use as though it had the mounted combat feat.

Zaq
2017-05-22, 10:49 PM
According to the text under the centaur entry, they count as mounted even when they're not, because they're self-mounted, apparently.

Is there any other way to count as mounted even when you're moving under your own power?

Centaurs are not "self-mounted," and they don't actually count as mounted. They only do double damage on a charge when using a lance. Other than that, they aren't actually treated as being mounted, pretty much in any way.

I know this is true because I recently spent a long time trying and failing to make a critter always count as being mounted (or "self-mounted," as you put it) for an Iron Chef build. As the word "failing" kind of gave away, I was not able to find a way to make anything that a PC could be (or turn into with a minimum of fuss) count as always being mounted. Jormengand already mentioned the zelekhut, which is as close as I could find (but which doesn't actually work that way, as has been mentioned). I don't think I even found anything that PCs can't be that works, though I was definitely focusing my search on PC-friendly material.

Thurbane
2017-05-22, 11:56 PM
Not RAW, but if Zelekhut counts, presumably the Tauric template should as well.

Also Wemic, Hybsil, Dracotaur and a few other races would be in a similar boat.

weckar
2017-05-23, 04:10 AM
Can't say I ever noticed that Centaur ability before. Does it stack with normal mounted lance damage? If the centaur were mounted on another creature?

Fouredged Sword
2017-05-23, 06:33 AM
Can't say I ever noticed that Centaur ability before. Does it stack with normal mounted lance damage? If the centaur were mounted on another creature?

Bonuses never stack with themselves unless specifically stated they do.

weckar
2017-05-23, 06:48 AM
It's not the same bonus, though.

Fouredged Sword
2017-05-23, 07:02 AM
It's not the same bonus, though.

It states "Just as a rider with a mount does". This conflates the two abilities as being one thing.

Zaq
2017-05-23, 08:57 AM
Is it a bonus? It's a multiplier, but it's not an explicit bonus.

I'm in favor of a gut ruling saying that you can't stack it by somehow mounting your centaur on something bigger, but I'm not actually certain if it works by RAW.

Darrin
2017-05-23, 09:41 AM
I know this is true because I recently spent a long time trying and failing to make a critter always count as being mounted (or "self-mounted," as you put it) for an Iron Chef build. As the word "failing" kind of gave away, I was not able to find a way to make anything that a PC could be (or turn into with a minimum of fuss) count as always being mounted.

What about if you plant an oak tree on top of an elsewhale? Acorn of far travel?

VisitingDaGulag
2017-05-24, 01:57 PM
I approve of this thread title. Also Zaq is wrong about the RAW above. There is a campaign setting book that specifies enough to prove him wrong.

I also approve of wielding multiple lances as a centaur, with a nonquadraped rider who is also wielding lances.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-07-24, 03:33 PM
I just found this today, so sorry for pulling up a (slightly) older thread, but it's what I was looking for.

The armanite demon from the Fiendish Codex I has the cavalry charge ability, which makes you count as being mounted when charging with a lance. The Emulate Another feat from the WoW Alliance Player's Guide allows you to pull a racial trait from another creature type, and illithid savant does so as well.

If you want to count as mounted while charging with non-lance weapons, the Emulate Another feat combined with the aptitude weapon enhancement should do it, I think, since E.A. is a feat that affects lances, even if in a slightly roundabout way.