PDA

View Full Version : New HP System

Koga
2007-08-02, 04:34 AM
No relation to my die result, I cameup with a system to replace HP, a percentile system where you roll a d100 and have to roll equal to or higher then the amount of damage you took or die.

For example, if you got hit with a club (d6) and took 5 damage. You have about a 5% chance of dieing. This could be lessened with a high con-score. Because the con modifier would add to your d100 check. Thus making it almost impossible for you to die right?

Not exactly, sense HP no longer exsists. Hit die doesn't serve a purpose, and that would be detrimental to game balance. Therfore, I propose a more sleek and simple use for hit die. Adding a modifier to damage dealt by natural and normal attacks. (Another words by non-magical means) Depending on your hit die, the damage increases.

d4=+0
d6=+1
d8=+2
d10=+3
d12=+4

Massive damage:
No longer exsists, however, if you take damage equal to your con-score or more, you must make a fortitude save equal to damage dealt or become unconsciouse.

Non-lethal damage:
If they roll enough to fail and it was only non-lethal means, they simply become unconsciouse.

Result:
The result is to try and balance all classes by making power struggle obselete as everyone can so easily perish anyway. Let's take for example a fighter first level, takes a feat in weapon specilization, weapon focus, and improved innitiative (he's a human) to try and go first for optimum results and his weapon of choice is longsword.

On a d8 his average will be 4 damage.
His hit die d10 grants him a +3 damage bonus sense it's normal damage.
He's granteed a +1 damage bonus do to weapon focus.
And let's assume he has a strength mod of +4.

That's a 12% likelyhood of killing an opponent with a single blow at first level on average! With a minimum of 9% and maximum of 16%.

On a critical (19 or 20) that percentage increases to 32%! Remember this is still first level!

The bell-curve becomes alot more middleground. Damage averages become alot more important in determining the results of combat. Theoreticaly a commoner could kill a big bad evil wizard! (However unlikely it may be..) We'll even run it down level 1 commoner vs level 20 wizard.

Let's say the wizard doesn't really feel like using something particularly fascinating as this commoner has problaly never even seen a mage-hand in his little hick town let alone a massively epic spell, so he's just going to nuke him with a fireball.

20d6 averages to about 70 damage. That's a 70% likelyhood of incenerating the commoner on contact!

It's unfourtanate the commoner is such a lowly whelp he can't even get a modifier (d4) on his damage rolls! But he still gives it his all, (let's assume he's tottaly average, 10 in every score) and still has an average of 3% chance to swing his club at the wizard and knock his lightsout for good!

Unless that's wizard's con-score is over 18, (highly improbable) there is always that 1/100 chance the commoner could kill the wizard. As opposed to in the normal system, where even a critical hit would not matter. Where as in this system, a critical hit can make all the differance in the world as it doubles the percentile chance of dieing if not more!

Simply put, the mortality rate is higher, and players and npcs alike have to learn to fight-smart. As all creatures should. Just because it's a game doesn't mean everyone should be an idiot. That's a good way to get brutalized!!!

I've gotten complaints that this makes leveling completely useless. But leveling shouldn't be about raising the power-curve so much as opening yourself up to new abilities, better equipment, and more potential.

Less like Final Fantasy

More like Zelda!

Hazkali
2007-08-02, 06:05 AM
Okay, so there is no bonus from being a higher level? A 1st-level fighter has exactly the same chance of dying as a 10th-level fighter? Interesting...

Where does this leave monsters, especially those without constitution scores? And what about Challenge Rating?

Koga
2007-08-02, 06:45 AM
Where does this leave monsters, especially those without constitution scores? And what about Challenge Rating?
I rememeber hearing somewhere that if you lack a constitution apply charisma instead.

As for challenge rating, I guess that gos out the window or remains intact as I always saw it as more of a guideline then actual rule.

cody.burton
2007-08-02, 10:27 AM
Not exactly, sense HP no longer exsists. Hit die doesn't serve a purpose, and that would be detrimental to game balance. Therfore, I propose a more sleek and simple use for hit die. Adding a modifier to damage dealt by natural and normal attacks. (Another words by non-magical means) Depending on your hit die, the damage increases.

d4=+0
d6=+1
d8=+2
d10=+3
d12=+4

Do you get this bonus to damage every time you would normally get a hit die? So a 10th level fighter would have a +30 untyped bonus to damage?

It seems that this would make high level combat much shorter and more dangerous for the player characters. I would add some sort of bonus to survival chance based on level - maybe the same bonus that they get to damage.

Yakk
2007-08-02, 02:18 PM
Cute mechanic.

It lacks "being wounded".

Replace the d100 with the following trick:
Roll 2d10. Look at them as a d100 in both directions.

If one direction rolls under the damage, you are wounded.
If both directions roll under the damage, you are dead.
If you roll doubles you are wounded even if you roll over the damage.
If you are wounded when already wounded, you die.

(If you take X% damage, your chance of death becomes very close to X%^2, and your chance of being wounded becomes X%+X%^2. These are pretty curves.

You could also just roll 2d100. 1 under = wounded, 2 under = dead.)

HD, in D&D, boosts defense, not offense.

I'd propose:
Add BAB*4 to melee damage.

Add, per HD, the following to your soak:
d4: +1 + 1/4 con
d6: +2 + 2/4 con
d8: +3 + 3/4 con
d10: +4 + 4/4 con
d12: +5 + 4/4 con

So a L 20 wizard would have:
+20 soak + conBonus * 6
So with 18 con, that's +44 soak.

All attacks that get through DR will have a 10% chance of wounding the target (doubles). Soak does not prevent this.

Lots of tweaking will have to be done to get the chance of death at higher levels to grow right.

Koga
2007-08-05, 02:15 AM
It seems that this would make high level combat much shorter and more dangerous for the player characters. I would add some sort of bonus to survival chance based on level - maybe the same bonus that they get to damage.
Actually I didn't think of stacking hit die per level. Just once routine.

Monsters would be that way too, rather then add +30 for a 10hd10 monster, they'd just have +3 sense they were a hitdie d10 monster. Y'dig?

Grey Paladin
2007-08-05, 03:40 PM
Congratulations! You've done what many thought is impossible: make wizards even more overpowered.

You effectively made all blasting spells Save or Die, Magic Missile and its like being the worst offenders as they call for multiple SoDs given the fact each missile is an individual source.

Less like D&D, more like Mage: The Ascension.