PDA

View Full Version : Giving the Material Plane Planar Traits Permanently

Yogibear41
2017-05-22, 10:13 PM
Is there anyway to give the material plane traits that are normally reserved for the outer planes permanently? Say for instance there is a character that seems himself as an uncrowned archdevil of the nine hells and dreams of making the material plane or at least part of it into a metaphorical tenth layer of the nine hells, is there a spell or something similar that can do that before reaching epic level magic? For the sake of this argument the character does not want to create a new plane, he wants to change the existing material plane to suit his wishes.

flappeercraft
2017-05-22, 10:19 PM
I do remember there was a spell that did that or at least something similar. If my memory serves right it probably is in MotP or PH

Yogibear41
2017-05-22, 10:39 PM
There are spells in the planar handbook that cause breaches but they are temporary and last from a a few minutes/hour to a few days at best.

They also link the planes which I don't really want to do, I just want to give similar traits to the material plane, in fact it would be better if they weren't linked so rival outsiders couldn't just come strolling in.

Zaq
2017-05-23, 01:31 AM
I will be beyond shocked to find ANY printed non-Epic effects that can affect an entire plane (not a demiplane, a plane), let alone any that can do so permanently. And when you're talking about changing the traits of the Prime Material, well, good luck with that.

Yogibear41
2017-05-23, 10:35 AM
It was more fluff I was going for than actual mechanics anyway Baator doesn't really have that much different in planar traits from the Prime anyway except being mildly lawful and evil aligned. I suppose I can just find a creature than can cast unhallow as a SLA so I don't have to break the bank doing it and go around spamming that on the landscape.

Keral
2017-05-23, 10:46 AM
I doubt there's anything printed to do that. But I probably would allow the use of genesis to modify the material plane in such a way. Tho I'd keep the original area meaning it would take multiple casting of the spell...

Psyren
2017-05-23, 11:55 AM
A permanent breach is a common story-telling device, but having it affect the entire plane would be a bit much. Some artifact to do that over a long period of time (i.e. long enough for a band of plucky heroes to stop) would be more believable.

As for how you'd do it, a Ritual or Incantation should do the trick.

unseenmage
2017-05-23, 06:13 PM
If it were me I'd use an alternate prime material plane. IIRC they canonically exist and can be accessed via several extraplanar nexuses.

The Dreamheart, the deep Shadow, the deep Ethereal, Sigil etc should all theoretically be able to connect one to another reality where the prime material exhibits planar traits one from the 'normal' world would call abnormal.

One could even imagine that the other planes in an alternate cosmology could be similarly... off.
A frozen plane of water, a plane of fire that is all molten metal, an endless desert plane of earth, etc.