PDA

View Full Version : Any update on being able to shield bash with tower shields?

SangoProduction
2017-05-22, 11:47 PM
OK. It's been a couple years, maybe something's surfaced. So, my player wanted to play a dungeoncrasher fighter, and was originally going to go shield bash (against my recommendation, considering the team optimization level, but whatever), but switched. Before he switched completely, however, he still had Shield Bash feat while having a tower shield. It made me remember this topic.

So, is there a way to shield bash with tower shields? Drag mag is fine. 3rd party is fine. GITP homebrew is not great, but acceptable in some corners of the internet.

Thurbane
2017-05-22, 11:52 PM
I feel kind of dirty even suggesting this, but there is something on D&D Wiki: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Tower_Shield_Bash_(3.5e_Feat)

Gruftzwerg
2017-05-22, 11:55 PM
Not really IIRC. Imho your only option is to use the tower shield as improvised weapon, which includes the -4 to hit penalty and it can't be used with special shield maneuvers anymore. Cause use ain't attacking with the "Shield", you attack with an improvised weapon..

Fizban
2017-05-23, 12:04 AM
I've never really seen why you're not allowed to bash with a tower shield in the first place. Probably just because it's big and heavy enough that dnd doesn't want to count it as a weapon (which is perfectly legitimate), but splatbooks will let you wield a 40lb sword or any object you can physically lift as a weapon, so yeah.

I also find it amusing that in Dark Souls, tower shields are the only shields you can bash with by default, since smaller shields parry (unless they have spikes). But Dark Souls also fully accepts supernatural strength scores that allow you to dual wield 10' long 40lb swords. And the tower shield bashes are basically full body slams, which is what dungeoncrasher is about.

So basically this is another perfect example of things to houserule and be done with.

Gildedragon
2017-05-23, 12:11 AM
I'd see nothing wrong with letting PCs bash with a shield... As a two handed weapon at that

Gruftzwerg
2017-05-23, 12:24 AM
I'd see nothing wrong with letting PCs bash with a shield... As a two handed weapon at that

from a balance POV sure, it wouldn't have any real impact.
I would allow it and give the Tower Shield the same stats as a Spiked Shield (but bludgeoning not piercing).
But I wouldn't advise it. Cause Tower Shield include the -2 to attacking.

My best shoot would be:
- Living Tower Shield for the AC/Cover
- Spiked Shield that you now can use 2h for 1.5 Str bonus

Anything else just worsens the state of the melee to hard imho.

Eldariel
2017-05-23, 02:27 AM
Not a bash, but you can presumably use them for the Shield Slam-feat in Complete Warrior, which is kinda similar but only on charge and with a carrier Daze-effect.