PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Is there a RAW rule that says ammunition needs to be enchanted in batches of 50

prototype00
2017-05-23, 12:53 AM
So, yeah, as the title says is there a RAW rule that says you need to make +1 flaming arrows in batches of 50, or is it just how they are priced in the DMG?

finaldooms
2017-05-23, 12:57 AM
I think its priced like that for convenience,i know in advanced and 3.0 ( the video games at least) you cam get single arrows when enchanted with elements..but normal and just +x arrows come in patches

prototype00
2017-05-23, 01:03 AM
So there isn't a rule in the PhB that you can't enchant it piece by piece? (Imagine having to enchant 50 slaying arrows at a go, yowza! That would bankrupt a kingdom!)

tyckspoon
2017-05-23, 01:06 AM
I don't believe there is any rule that forces you to create batches of 50; if you have a very specific need for a small batch of a kind of ammo (Bane/Material combos for prepping for a fight with a certain kind of Outsider?) you can just make them as you need them. If you need support aside from there not being an actual forbidding rule, you could note that practically every kind of specific magical ammunition (ie, Sleep Arrow, Slaying Arrow, Screaming Bolt, the several kinds found in the Magic Item Compendium) is priced as a single and not a pack of 50. It would be quite strange if 'generic' enhancements had to be made in bulk but specific arrows do not.

prototype00
2017-05-23, 01:25 AM
I don't believe there is any rule that forces you to create batches of 50; if you have a very specific need for a small batch of a kind of ammo (Bane/Material combos for prepping for a fight with a certain kind of Outsider?) you can just make them as you need them. If you need support aside from there not being an actual forbidding rule, you could note that practically every kind of specific magical ammunition (ie, Sleep Arrow, Slaying Arrow, Screaming Bolt, the several kinds found in the Magic Item Compendium) is priced as a single and not a pack of 50. It would be quite strange if 'generic' enhancements had to be made in bulk but specific arrows do not.

Capital! Thank you.

Gruftzwerg
2017-05-23, 01:48 AM
Imho the reasoning is that you enchant projectiles in batches of 50 with spells and crafting.

See (greater) Magic Weapon spell for reference.

Buying a new set or letting you craft custom once will always be in batches of 50 (contrary to common cheese believe..^^). But as always with item stack. You may loot lesser stacks or buy fewer from 2nd hand shops.

prototype00
2017-05-23, 01:55 AM
Imho the reasoning is that you enchant projectiles in batches of 50 with spells and crafting.

See (greater) Magic Weapon spell for reference.

Buying a new set or letting you craft custom once will always be in batches of 50 (contrary to common cheese believe..^^). But as always with item stack. You may loot lesser stacks or buy fewer from 2nd hand shops.

Will Greater Magic Weapon not work if you have only ten arrows? And I've seen nothing in the crafting rules that say RAW that when making, say, adamantine arrows you have to make 50 at once?

Where are you getting this from, RAW? I'd appreciate a quote.

Kaleph
2017-05-23, 03:20 AM
My understanding is that it works, but you still use a full spell Charge,
EDIT
and you still spend the Basic costs in gp and XP when inchanting, say, 10 ammunitions as if you would enchant 50 of them --> I have to correct myself, by RAW you pay only 1/5 that cost.

prototype00
2017-05-23, 03:28 AM
My understanding is that it works, but you still use a full spell Charge, and you still spend the Basic costs in gp and XP when inchanting, say, 10 ammunitions as if you would enchant 50 of them.

Help me out here, where did you get this understanding from? What was the page number so I can read it too. Or a link to the SRD that says this is the case?

I mean we all have gut feelings about things, but I'm looking for the RAW here.

Kaleph
2017-05-23, 03:31 AM
See my editing.

Regarding the spell, of course you have to use a full slot every time. Regarding the weapon enchantment, the costs are proportional to the market price, which scales when you buy more/less ammos.

prototype00
2017-05-23, 03:37 AM
See my editing.

Regarding the spell, of course you have to use a full slot every time. Regarding the weapon enchantment, the costs are proportional to the market price, which scales when you buy more/less ammos.

Ah, thank you for the clarification. That does make sense, and I appreciate you bringing it up.

NomGarret
2017-05-23, 01:12 PM
I've wondered the same thing, albeit for PF. I'm pretty sure the answer is the same, but if anyone knows differently...

VisitingDaGulag
2017-05-24, 01:51 PM
This question again? See JaronK's shurikens.

short answer: see the superscript "1" in the chart in the SRD.

prototype00
2017-05-24, 06:31 PM
This question again? See JaronK's shurikens.

short answer: see the superscript "1" in the chart in the SRD.

I'm sure it wasn't your intention, but your answer does not give an answer to the question either way, for JaronK's shurikens do not answer if there is any RAW (rules as written) basis for having to enchant things in batches of 50 and there are like dozens of charts with corresponding dozens of "1"s in the SRD, so the question is, which one?

prototype00

Malimar
2017-05-24, 06:58 PM
I'm sure it wasn't your intention, but your answer does not give an answer to the question either way, for JaronK's shurikens do not answer if there is any RAW (rules as written) basis for having to enchant things in batches of 50 and there are like dozens of charts with corresponding dozens of "1"s in the SRD, so the question is, which one?

prototype00

Probably they mean the one that goes

1 This price is for 50 arrows, crossbow bolts, shuriken, or sling bullets.
Which, while related to the question, doesn't actually answer it either way.

Deophaun
2017-05-24, 07:27 PM
What answers the question is that there is a statement for wands and staves that you cannot craft them partially charged, yet there is no such statement regarding ammunition in quantities fewer than 50.