PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten realms 3.5 Nagas and Oriental Adventures/Serpent kingdoms and other FR lore

Starshade
2017-05-23, 08:00 AM
I just saw in Serpent Kingdoms FR 3.x, and realized the generic Oriental Adventurer nagas have both male and female forms, while the Serpent Kingdoms tells some nagas look male or female, but all are hermaphrodites. If I'm using Oriental Adventures for rules to make FR Kara-Tur and Wa, should I just hand wave the differences between lore on east and west, or is there some Sources fitting 3.5 rules for eastern races elsewhere?

And which of the races is described as existing, in FR by older sources?

Florian
2017-05-23, 08:20 AM
OA is 3.0E on more specific to Rokugan than to Kara-Tur. Use the Serpent Kingdom ones.

Scots Dragon
2017-05-23, 09:12 AM
According to the earlier Oriental Adventures book from AD&D 1E which is specific to Kara-Tur, the monsters there are the same as the ordinary AD&D ones. In fact the book doesn't include all that many monsters at all and instead just gives a list of the monsters which are most fitting to encounter in Kara-Tur. Nagas are listed as being the same as the ones from the Monster Manual, which doesn't mention any information on their genders or any sexual characteristics. These pieces of information are also not included in AD&D 2E's Monstrous Manual.

I'd just go for the Serpent Kingdoms explanation.