PDA

View Full Version : Monster Tourney

Creyzi4j
2017-05-23, 11:31 AM
I once DM'd a dnd game where there were only 3-4 players.
3 players was a bit little on their count so I gave a homebrew rule.

The rules per player were as follows
- You don't create any characters
- You get a CR 15 as credits to spend
- You pick monsters from the 5e monster manual using their CR as credit costs
- You cannot pick monsters above CR 7
- You can pick NPCs
- Monsters below CR 1 are considered CR1 in credit cost
- If you have multiple monsters with the same race/type/alignments they gain bonuses. (e.g. 3 tigers gain +1 atk and dmg bonus/3 monsters with lawful good alignment gain +1 to wisdom saves = DMs choice what bonus u wanna give)
- Monsters with different alignments get penalties (e.g. if you have a unicorn and a cambian then the cambian only gets one half heal/bless bonus from unicorn - DM flavoring)
- CR 1 monsters gain 1 skill to be proficient at
- Monsters that are CR 1/2 are considered as CR 1 but they gain (Hp = 6+CON,) (+1 atribute bonus) and (1 feat)
- Monsters that are CR 1/4 are considered as CR 1 but they gain (hp=10+CON) (+1 attribute bonus) and (2 feats)
- Monsters may level up and gain 1-3 feats/attribute bonuses as campaign progresses
- They can even buy items and premade items like (an armor for large beasts which give +1 to ac, a magical weapon/armor for bipedal monsters, etc.)
- If a monster dies you can replace it with one with a similar CR, or obe with higher CR if it has levelled up - where you can go above CR 7)

It was pretty awesome. The campaign was set on them as settlers from a dead plane, where all races from that plane had allied with each other to repopulate a new world...which is already populated...yadda yadda yadda

Anyway. I though that using these rules would be nice for some kind of pvp arena where you get your own army to fight off against another in a skirmish battle.
No story....just plain skirmish premade with any kind of arena you can think of.

JNAProductions
2017-05-24, 02:13 AM
So I can take 60 Pixies? What bonuses do they get? :P

All-in-all, seems cool, if bare bones. I'd work on developing it a little.

Creyzi4j
2017-05-24, 11:10 AM
So I can take 60 Pixies? What bonuses do they get? :P

All-in-all, seems cool, if bare bones. I'd work on developing it a little.

Oh..i forgot to put in there that monsters below CR 1 are considered as CR 1 in cost. So you can only have 15 pixies max

JNAProductions
2017-05-24, 12:17 PM
Oh..i forgot to put in there that monsters below CR 1 are considered as CR 1 in cost. So you can only have 15 pixies max

Ah, no, you actually DID put it, I just goofed and missed it.

Still, 15 Pixies is pretty gorram ridiculous. Though that might just be Pixies being under-CRed, and not anything wrong with your system.

Creyzi4j
2017-05-24, 08:43 PM
Ah, no, you actually DID put it, I just goofed and missed it.

Still, 15 Pixies is pretty gorram ridiculous. Though that might just be Pixies being under-CRed, and not anything wrong with your system.
Yeah you're right. I may allow the 15 CR 1 creatures in the tournament monster fight play.
But not in a campaign setting. It's pretty hard rolling initiatives on all of those. Perhaps make all monsters CR minimum to 2 (all monsters below CR 2 are considered 2), and just add bonuses in stats/attack dies/skills to compensate for their weaknesses

Creyzi4j
2017-05-26, 08:47 PM
BUMP: I think this could work online if there was an online dnd board/grid board out there which allows us to move pieces on the tiles?

What u guys think?

JNAProductions
2017-05-26, 09:52 PM
BUMP: I think this could work online if there was an online dnd board/grid board out there which allows us to move pieces on the tiles?

What u guys think?

Roll20, Google Hangouts, stuff like that.

Vassal too.