PDA

View Full Version : Support Need a Native English speaker for a Skype Meetup

Luizeu
2017-05-23, 02:05 PM
Hi guys,
I'm an English teacher in Brazil and my school is running this project in which we have to make a skype call to
native English Speaker and the teens (around 17-18) would ask questions about what is it like living in whatever country that the person lives.
I thought that if I looked for help on the day before I would be able to find this person.

This person would need to have a 20 - 30 minute participation and be able to be nice to strangers.
I would have to talk to the person beforehand so we set up some details.

Anyone up for it?

*Needless to say that this is a very serious thing and this person cannot i any circumstance do anything that is
obviously rude or criminal.

Trekkin
2017-05-23, 02:53 PM
It would help if you knew what day and time you might want this to start, so we can see if it aligns with our class schedules or work hours.

Luizeu
2017-05-23, 05:45 PM
Good idea. Our classes are Mondays and Wednesdays at 2pm my time. .UTC -3

BladeofObliviom
2017-05-24, 08:44 AM
Oh, that is a shame. Meeting people is always interesting and I'd have happily volunteered, but unfortunately I have class during that approximate time on both days. :smallfrown:

I wish you the best of luck with finding a suitable Guinea Pig subject, though.

Trekkin
2017-05-24, 09:32 AM
I'm going to be in lab for that entire time too. Sorry, and best of luck!

DemonicAngel
2017-05-24, 10:33 AM
Think i'd be able to help, English is my 2nd language but I do speak it fluentely. i'm in Italy, so that would be like 7 PM here i think. let me know

Peelee
2017-05-24, 10:51 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but sounds like that works out to 5 US Central time (UTC-6)? If so, I can most likely do it. You got a date in mind? If anyone from a different country pipes up, you may wanna go with them; the US is probably gonna be over-represented, at a guess, and that may make it boring.

....wow, was I off on the time. Thanks, friendly horsey saint!

SaintRidley
2017-05-24, 10:51 AM
Are you thinking next week? I'd need to download skype, but I'm only two hours behind your time zone, so that wouldn't be too big a deal.

Peelee - currently Central time is UTC-5 due to daylight savings, so 2 pm their time is noon our time.

Luizeu
2017-05-24, 08:20 PM
Wow. I was not expecting so many replies.
This project could be done on other times and dates as well.
I'll set up a Google docs file and post the link with possible dates ASAP

WarKitty
2017-05-24, 08:23 PM
If I may make a recommendation? Find out where native speakers are from. There can be some pretty interesting differences in both vocabulary and sound between various speakers. Even within the U.S., a New Englander does not sound like someone from the Deep South. And then there's Canada, the various UK countries, Australia...

Twizzly513
2017-05-25, 11:25 AM
I'm free on both days at that time in my time zone.

I'm a native English speaker from the United States. I live in Colorado, specifically.

My Skype name is: atb10000
(That's four zeroes) My contact picture is of me smiling, I'm white with blonde hair.
Contact me, I'd love to take part in this!