PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Clerical Shenanigans

FEARtheFOOFY
2017-05-23, 02:23 PM
Hello everyone,

I am interested to hear about everyone's favorite, or clever, or any kind of odd combination of feats, skills, abilities, tricks, etc. that allow clerics to do some incredible things.
This is for 3.PF, but please tell if it is Pathfinder or 3.5 content.
Please, no Dragon Mag content, and if possible put sources in.

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT!!!

noob
2017-05-23, 02:28 PM
Step 1: Have wisdom enough high for casting spells as a cleric.(try to make it the highest stat)
Step 2: Only take levels in cleric.
That awesome trick works most of the time.

Fouredged Sword
2017-05-23, 02:29 PM
Well, pure 3.5 I once set of a dragon king. The character is a dragonborn cleric and you get (contimplative and other tricks) on Rebuke Dragon, Rebuke Fire, Rebuke Cold, Rebuke Earth, and Rebuke Air. Then you find dragons, specifically 5 dragons. You then round up a 20HD gold, copper, silver, bronze, and brass dragon and talk them into getting hit with level drain until they are 10 HD. You then rebuke them and restore the negative levels but retaining your control because they are still within your HD control cap for rebuke.

You're a bitchen dragonman who is served by five powerful dragon ladies.

Your name is Charlie, and those are your Dragons.

Oh, and you are a 19/20 spellcaster with medium bab and all the powers a cleric normally has. Seriously the build is cleric 19 / contemplative 1.

FEARtheFOOFY
2017-05-23, 02:37 PM
Well, pure 3.5 I once set of a dragon king. The character is a dragonborn cleric and you get (contimplative and other tricks) on Rebuke Dragon, Rebuke Fire, Rebuke Cold, Rebuke Earth, and Rebuke Air. Then you find dragons, specifically 5 dragons. You then round up a 20HD gold, copper, silver, bronze, and brass dragon and talk them into getting hit with level drain until they are 10 HD. You then rebuke them and restore the negative levels but retaining your control because they are still within your HD control cap for rebuke.

You're a bitchen dragonman who is served by five powerful dragon ladies.

Your name is Charlie, and those are your Dragons.

Oh, and you are a 19/20 spellcaster with medium bab and all the powers a cleric normally has. Seriously the build is cleric 19 / contemplative 1.

What is contemplative out of?

Inevitability
2017-05-23, 02:39 PM

Complete Divine.

Fouredged Sword
2017-05-23, 02:41 PM

Complete divine. The big thing is it grants a bonus domain at 1st level. The whole build requires you to end up with the fire, cold, earth, and air domains. There are 2 fire, 1 earth, 1 air, and one cold subtype chromatic dragon. Rebuke fire covers the extra fire sub-type dragon and the rest are controllable by the sub-type rebukes.

Arael666
2017-05-23, 02:56 PM
I love the cleric, but I don't think I have ever played him as a caster. I mean, I go full persistomancy on him just for the sake of persisting buffs then I grab the best weapon I can wield and go melee. I know it's not optimal, but I just love it the idea of a holy warrior blessed by his god to be this unstoppable force.

Anyway, about the build, I go the standard clericzilla, getting either rebuke dragons or destroy undead at level 1, then getting sacred exorcist at lvl 8 to get my turning back and have 2 separate polls of turning. I know I can also dip one level in Death Delver and get rebuke undead, but I think losing caster levels is "icky" so I don't do it. Then I grab extend rods and as many nightsticks as my DM let me use (usually one) and do the 48hr buff thing, I can usually persist 12-16 spell by lvl 9, depending on stat generation rules in play.

I also have a gestalt version of this character, in wich one "side" is full cleric and on the other "side" I get melee oriented classes that grant passive bonuses, like the paladin, pious templar, crusader or HD/LA if my DM lets me put it in only one "side".

Gildedragon
2017-05-23, 03:12 PM
Been playing a charisma casting chaotic cloistered cleric with initiate of milil (with initiate of Olidammara's spells) + sacred performer feat; the other side of the gestalt is martial rogue (went for feats like We Lucky Few, and other Perform-based fighter feats)

Mostly buffing and facing, barely any fighting -only weapon is a feycraft "steel" flute-

Concept is a cleric that's gotten kicked out of a number of monasteries and seminaries for rowdy behavior (sneaking into the wine cellars, bringing in parties, sneaking out into town, loud noises after curfew)

noob
2017-05-23, 03:18 PM
I think playing a cleric is awesome enough in itself.
Here the thread creator is in 3.pf why are you throwing mostly 3.5 only prcs without saying that it is in 3.5?

Inevitability
2017-05-23, 03:40 PM
Also, Heretic of the Faith, a feat from Power of Faerun, is great fun. Being a LG cleric of Loviathar or CN cleric of Helm is bound to turn some heads.

It's especially nice with PrCs that care only about deities, not about alignments.

FearlessGnome
2017-05-23, 04:36 PM
Also, Heretic of the Faith, a feat from Power of Faerun, is great fun. Being a LG cleric of Loviathar or CN cleric of Helm is bound to turn some heads.

This is one of my favourite feats. Makes for some great roleplaying opportunities.

Inevitability
2017-05-24, 12:26 AM
This is one of my favourite feats. Makes for some great roleplaying opportunities.

You bet it does. I've played a CG cleric of Gruumsh (believed orcs should live in peace with other humanoids, and saw Gruumsh mostly as a god of martial might rather than plunder), a NE Cleric going into Divine Prankster (still a follower of Garl, just much more malicious and cruel in his 'jokes') and a honest-to-goodness follower of the Burning Hate.