PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A hitting somebody with the butt end of your crossbow

krunchyfrogg
2017-05-23, 02:53 PM
I saw somebody in an AL game try to argue he's still using a missile weapon when he tried to hit somebody with a crossbow in AL. He was trying to get the +2 to hit from the fighting style (it says ranged weapons, and he argued the crossbow is still a ranged weapon, even if he's using it in melee).

DM didn't allow it.

Would you?

Dudewithknives
2017-05-23, 03:02 PM
I saw somebody in an AL game try to argue he's still using a missile weapon when he tried to hit somebody with a crossbow in AL. He was trying to get the +2 to hit from the fighting style (it says ranged weapons, and he argued the crossbow is still a ranged weapon, even if he's using it in melee).

DM didn't allow it.

Would you?

No, because that is not a ranged weapon. It is an improvised weapon.

If he wants to do that in a reliable basis take tavern brawler.

It would still not be a ranged weapon though.

KorvinStarmast
2017-05-23, 03:04 PM
No.
At that point it's an improvised weapon.
DM called that one right.

Nefariis
2017-05-23, 03:04 PM
Absolutely not, that doesn't even make sense.

Klorox
2017-05-23, 07:39 PM

DM didn't allow it.

Would you?
LMAO, I already know who this is. Hahahhaha

Krunchy and I play together sometimes.

Laserlight
2017-05-23, 07:41 PM

DM didn't allow it.

Would you?

No, of course not.

MeeposFire
2017-05-23, 09:30 PM
As an aside remember that by RAW using a thrown dagger is not using a ranged weapon even though you are using a weapon at range so the idea is oddly not out of the question. That being said declaring that as an improvised weapon is a fair ruling I think.

Slipperychicken
2017-05-23, 09:30 PM
Nope. I'd call it 1d4 bludgeoning, improvised club, no bonus.

Finback
2017-05-23, 10:42 PM

DM didn't allow it.

Would you?

Using that logic, they shouldn't ever get XP from using a crossbow, because they didn't kill the goblin, the *bolt* did.

Potato_Priest
2017-05-23, 11:20 PM
Using that logic, they shouldn't ever get XP from using a crossbow, because they didn't kill the goblin, the *bolt* did.

People don't kill people, crossbows kill people.

I don't see how you can make that extension logically.

Additionally, I often make logically inconsistent rulings that make the game work more the way that it should, and that doesn't mean they are bad rulings.

Back end of a crossbow is an improvised weapon, not a ranged weapon.

JBPuffin
2017-05-24, 12:42 AM
I admire their bravado...but yeah, that's just silly. Tavern Brawler situation, not Archery Style.

Finback
2017-05-24, 01:37 AM
Back end of a crossbow is an improvised weapon, not a ranged weapon.

I agree; I was saying that if that player wants to push the specifics to that level of inanity (that a ranged weapon used as a club is still a ranged weapon) couldn't argue with the premise that a crossbow bolt did the killing, therefore they don't get the XP. It's taking RAW to a very forced conclusion, and completely ignoring the obvious RAI.

Malifice
2017-05-24, 04:31 AM
Improvised weapon - deals 1d4 plus strength bludgeoning damage.

No, archery style doesn't apply.

Madbox
2017-05-24, 04:51 AM
Not as a club, but I might allow it if the crossbow itself were hurled as a projectile.

I'm willing to meet you halfway if you wanna do the whole "Out of bullets, throw the gun" joke.

krunchyfrogg
2017-05-24, 08:58 AM
LMAO, I already know who this is. Hahahhaha

Krunchy and I play together sometimes.

You know it! lol

I hope you can still make some games. Good luck in Jersey City!

Mandragola
2017-05-24, 09:02 AM
By their bizarre logic, shouldn't they have disadvantage to hit, due to using a ranged weapon in melee?

krunchyfrogg
2017-05-24, 09:08 AM
By their bizarre logic, shouldn't they have disadvantage to hit, due to using a ranged weapon in melee?

He argued that he had crossbow mastery feat. :smalltongue:

It's a game that happens at a store. I am pretty sure nobody likes him, but even the DM can't tell him to leave the game since it's in a public place.

Arial Black
2017-05-24, 10:06 AM
Hey DM! I don't have proficiency with lockpicks, but if I use my crossbow to pick the lock then I'll get +3 from my proficiency with crossbows and another +2 from ranged weapon fighting style, right?

Right?

DM?

I'm right, right?

Knaight
2017-05-24, 10:27 AM
It's an improvised weapon, and that's without getting into how the GM would have been totally within their rights to have another ruling where using it like that damaged the crossbow.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-05-24, 02:45 PM
Hey DM! I don't have proficiency with lockpicks, but if I use my crossbow to pick the lock then I'll get +3 from my proficiency with crossbows and another +2 from ranged weapon fighting style, right?

Right?

DM?

I'm right, right?

Yeah this is how I feel haha that player is crazy

Laserlight
2017-05-24, 03:03 PM

It's a game that happens at a store. I am pretty sure nobody likes him, but even the DM can't tell him to leave the game since it's in a public place.

"Oh look, a cloud giant has taken offense at you personally. What's your AC...never mind, it's a crit. Squish. So hey, feel free to bring back yet another new character again next week. Starting at L1, of course."

suplee215
2017-05-24, 03:23 PM

If he had crossbow mastery then why not just shoot?

ZorroGames
2017-05-24, 03:45 PM
If he had crossbow mastery then why not just shoot?

This.

Exactly.

First I act, then I try and justify it.

I love his argument but... no.

suplee215
2017-05-24, 07:54 PM
This.

Exactly.

First I act, then I try and justify it.

I love his argument but... no.

Yea. Unless he ran out of bolts but if you are an archer who runs out of ammo just accept you are ****ed.