PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Getting into my first 5Th Ed. game, filling out sheet

ZorroGames
2017-05-23, 03:14 PM
Tonight there is an opportunity to actually get some exposure to 5th Edition at the FLGS. For simplicity sake I am going with a straight up fighter for this first effort. Small steps...

As I look at the AL character sheet I feel as awkward as when I started trying to put the white box rules into a character way too many years ago, especially after multiple decades away from the game.

These questions are probably obvious but let me ask anyway.

Saving throws inset - do you check the ones that your initial class has or are you supposed to put numeric values on the line between the circle and the ability label?

Armor class, if you have a shield, do you enter a value for with/without shield? "13/15" for example.

The ability boxes, do you put your plus/minus in the circles at the bottom?

Thanks in advance

Hudsonian
2017-05-23, 03:21 PM
Fill in the circles of the saving throws and skills you are proficient in. Then put the appropriate modifier in the blank beside the skill (At level 1 this will be mod+2).

Yes. That is a common practice.

Typically for the Attribute Scores you write the raw score in the small circle and the mod in the large square. It helps with the visibility of the more commonly needed number.

ZorroGames
2017-05-23, 03:25 PM
Fill in the circles of the saving throws and skills you are proficient in. Then put the appropriate modifier in the blank beside the skill (At level 1 this will be mod+2).

Yes. That is a common practice.

Typically for the Attribute Scores you write the raw score in the small circle and the mod in the large square. It helps with the visibility of the more commonly needed number.

Thanks. :smallsmile:

Seems logical but always concerned about unconscious assumptions moving from OD&D/AD&D-1st to 5th Edition. :smalleek:

Hudsonian
2017-05-23, 03:36 PM
Others will argue about this, and I have no first hand knowledge. But I have been told that 5th edition is the most reminiscent of 1st ed.

2D8HP
2017-05-23, 03:56 PM
Check out some of these pre-gens:

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/character_sheets

ZorroGames
2017-05-25, 01:20 PM
Others will argue about this, and I have no first hand knowledge. But I have been told that 5th edition is the most reminiscent of 1st ed.
After my first game, it is... and it isn't... all in a good sense.

KorvinStarmast
2017-05-25, 02:59 PM
After my first game, it is... and it isn't... all in a good sense. Yep, same way I felt a couple of years ago when we started playing in D&D again.