PDA

View Full Version : Question about perfered polearms in 5e.

CrackedChair
2017-05-23, 04:29 PM
So which polearm do you playgrounders prefer? The Pike, the Halberd, Lance, or the Glaive? I want to use one in a game soon, what with trying to play a mounted adventurer and polearm combatant. So I thought I'd ask others what they like.

Lombra
2017-05-23, 05:07 PM
Mechanically there aren't much differences except from cost and weight, but I really like the aesthetics of the glaives.

Dual wielding lances is very cool while mounted too.

PS: a lance isn't considered a polearm in the game.

King539
2017-05-23, 05:27 PM
Glaive, cause coolness.

JellyPooga
2017-05-23, 05:43 PM
I'd like to say Spear because, despite the game telling it isn't, it really is a polearm and it's not only Versatile (the weapon property), but it's also versatile because you can use it with a shield, or without and you can chuck it. It also gets bonus points for being a Monk weapon.

If I wanted to stay contrary to the OP's question, I'd then bring up the Quarterstaff. Again, it gets points for versatility and Monk-ishness, but even more points for Shillelagh shenanigans amd the fact that it doubles an an innocuous walking stick and/or Wizards Staff (knob on the end optional).

To actually answer the OP, if you're mixing mounted and afoot, then the Lance is going to be your weapon of choice. For every reason why (and despite the fact that the dude using one loses in the example I'm about to bring up) go watch the opening sequence of the film "Fearless" (feat. Jet Li). For a more D&D related reason, it's a solid weapon despite having disadvantage against near opponents;

- The d12 damage die is only rivalled by the Greataxe if you're going for a crit-fisher build (and have a miserly GM).

- The Disadvantage is easily counteracted by moving. Rogue, Monk, Barbarian and Fighter all obviously offer mobility of the desired type, as do other Classes if you look a little closer.

CrackedChair
2017-05-23, 06:17 PM
But how will I be able to move to get out of disadvantaged range if doing so will provoke an opportunity attack?

JellyPooga
2017-05-23, 06:59 PM
But how will I be able to move to get out of disadvantaged range if doing so will provoke an opportunity attack?

Rogue has Cunning Action to Disengage as a bonus action.

Monk offers the same at the cost of a Ki point.

Eagle Totem Barbarian gives opponents Disadvantage on OA's.

Battlemaster Fighter has Evasive Footwork to add a Suoeriority die to AC vs. OA's.

The Misty Step spell gives you OA-free movement.

Beside that, many Classes offer the option to have a truly awesome AC or damage mitigators, like Resistance to damage. If the OA misses or does little to inconvenience you, then what's the fuss? Unless your foe has an ability to actually prevent you from continuing your action, taking an OA is not that big a deal.

Laserlight
2017-05-23, 07:55 PM
If you're on a mount, the mount can use its action to Dash (one of the few things it can do, in fact). A riding horse has a speed of 60--presumably warhorse is similar--and it dashes to make it 120. You ride by the target, stick it with your lance and keep going. You don't end close enough for it to close to melee range on it's move, and you never get close enough to it for it to get an OA.

Unless you're fighting something with Reach, of course.