PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Melee Wizard subclass choices

PeteNutButter
2017-05-23, 08:31 PM
I'm working on a melee wizard character--that is one that uses one or two levels in either fighter or cleric for heavy armor/wizard the rest--and I want to consider other subclasses.

I say "other" because abjuration is the go to choice, but I feel like the others might have some underutilized synergies in melee. To be clear, I am not comparing the subclasses overall, just how they might benefit a melee wizard.

This is kind of how I see the benefits of melee shaping out in order of usefulness for a wizard front-liner:

Abjuration. Ward is good, and more defenses for tanky winsauce.
Enchantment. Both its level 2 (lockout) and level 6 ability (no, attack him) could benefit from being in melee.
Evocation. Fireballing on top of oneself is just cool. At level 10, you add int to BB and GFB damage.
Necromancy. Could go well with cleric first and inflict wounds for kills in melee range.
Conjuration. Benign transposition could be useful to close the gap and get a squishier or low hp companion away.
Divination. It's abilities are pretty broad. You are more likely to have burnt a first level spell slot via shield so you can count on having a slot to bring back with your "recovery spell of lower level" feature.
Transmutation. Nice rock?

Anyone tried any of these? What do you guys think in theory or practice? Should I just stick to abjurer? As always, input is appreciated.

Aett_Thorn
2017-05-23, 08:40 PM
Are you restricted to the subclasses in the PHB, or could you use the Sword Coast guide's Bladesinger? It's basically a melee wizard option, though it likely does a lot better focusing on Dex over strength if you really wanted a heavy-armor wearing wizard.

Abjuration is definitely your best bet otherwise.

Divination for Portent can be nice. Turning misses into hits is also a nice feature at any range.

PeteNutButter
2017-05-23, 09:16 PM
Are you restricted to the subclasses in the PHB, or could you use the Sword Coast guide's Bladesinger? It's basically a melee wizard option, though it likely does a lot better focusing on Dex over strength if you really wanted a heavy-armor wearing wizard.

Abjuration is definitely your best bet otherwise.

Divination for Portent can be nice. Turning misses into hits is also a nice feature at any range.

I was avoiding bladesinger as it is designed for melee and doesn't really want to be wearing heavy armor. That and I hate elves...

Portent is certainly useful, but it seems no extra useful on a melee wizard.

JRDS
2017-05-23, 09:22 PM
The question with portent isn't, "is it anymore useful as a melee wizard?" but rather, "is it any weaker as a melee wizard?"

The answer is no. Portent is always a useful feature.

Specter
2017-05-23, 09:39 PM
Abjurer today, Abjurer tomorrow, Abjurer forever. Fighter HP, recovering HP every time you cast an abjuration spell (which could happen more than once a round), negating other mages forever, SPELL RESISTANCE... hard to beat.

Citan
2017-05-24, 03:12 AM
I'm working on a melee wizard character--that is one that uses one or two levels in either fighter or cleric for heavy armor/wizard the rest--and I want to consider other subclasses.

I say "other" because abjuration is the go to choice, but I feel like the others might have some underutilized synergies in melee. To be clear, I am not comparing the subclasses overall, just how they might benefit a melee wizard.

This is kind of how I see the benefits of melee shaping out in order of usefulness for a wizard front-liner:

Abjuration. Ward is good, and more defenses for tanky winsauce.
Enchantment. Both its level 2 (lockout) and level 6 ability (no, attack him) could benefit from being in melee.
Evocation. Fireballing on top of oneself is just cool. At level 10, you add int to BB and GFB damage.
Necromancy. Could go well with cleric first and inflict wounds for kills in melee range.
Conjuration. Benign transposition could be useful to close the gap and get a squishier or low hp companion away.
Divination. It's abilities are pretty broad. You are more likely to have burnt a first level spell slot via shield so you can count on having a slot to bring back with your "recovery spell of lower level" feature.
Transmutation. Nice rock?

Anyone tried any of these? What do you guys think in theory or practice? Should I just stick to abjurer? As always, input is appreciated.

Hi.
Since you specifically expressed a dislike of bladesingers I d say pick between Abjurer Transmuter or Evoker.
Abjurer is the default choice of many people because of the ward but the ward is really not that great. It is a good hp buffer sure but it wont make a difference if you are carefree. However the advantage on saving throws against spells and damage resistance is golden. So if you just want to be extra tough and resilient it is the best by far.

The other two choices are good contenders in their niche tough.
Evoker as you said makes using AOE much easier since you don't have to be careful about friendly fire including yourself so great possibilities. And you will gain a decent damage upgrade on weapon cantrips.

The last is probably the most lackluster infight but the fact you can change tje Stone benefit on a whim or provide it to a friend gives some versatility. Also many things to do with transmutation outside fights if you are creative with a flexible dm. ; )

Have fun !