PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Wizard subclass, Divine Arcanist [PEACH]

AngryJesusMan
2017-05-23, 09:21 PM
Hello again! I've been a fan of Final Fantasy since I was young. I've been waiting for a good version of a wizard that can cast healing spells to scratch my itch for a White Mage. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything that really fit the bill. Certain Cleric Domains touch on it, but they're just not the same. All of the Theurgy options I've seen fall woefully short of what I have in my head. So here I am, trying to do right by my vision. Hopefully I don't screw it up too much. So let me know if there's anything that I've done wrong. :smallsmile:

Divine Arcanist

Divine Arcanists are those that are dedicated to uncovering the secrets of casting divine spells without necessarily supplicating to the deities and other entities that normally provide it. Through hard work and study, you have made this discovery, wielding the sacred in the same way that most wizards wield their spells.

Student of the Divine. Starting when you join this tradition at 2nd level, your studies have led you to a profound conclusion: the only means by which to channel divine forces is to tap directly into a source of divine energy. This contact, for better or worse, fundamentally changes your spellcasting. From this point forward, you may only learn wizard spells from the Divine Arcanist spell list. In addition, you can learn any spell from the cleric spell list. Your spellbook loses any wizard spells that aren’t on either of these lists. Each lost spell is replaced by a spell of your choice that you can learn and is of the same level. This also occurs for any cantrips you know. Cleric cantrips and spells that you know become wizard spells for you.
When you gain a level, you can add two spells of your choice from the Divine Arcanist or Cleric spell lists to your spellbook. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots, as shown on the Wizard table.
On your adventures, you might find other spells that you can add to your spellbook (see the "Your Spellbook" sidebar). Any spells added to your spellbook must be from the Divine Arcanist or Cleric spell lists. Other wizards cannot copy cleric spells from your spellbook into their own spellbooks, and you cannot copy wizard spells that aren’t from the Divine Arcanist spell list into your spellbook.

Divine Arcanist Spell List
Cantrips: Mage Hand, Message, Prestidigitation, True Strike
1st level: Alarm, Disguise Self, Expeditious Retreat, False Life, Feather Fall, Find Familiar, Fog Cloud, Identify, Illusory Script, Jump, Longstrider, Mage Armor, Shield
2nd level: Alter Self, Arcane Lock, Blur, Darkvision, Enlarge/Reduce, Gentle Repose, Gust of Wind, Levitate, Invisibility, Magic Weapon, Mirror Image, Misty Step, See Invisibility
3rd level: Blink, Counterspell, Haste, Leomund’s Tiny Hut, Nondetection, Phantom Steed, Slow, Water Breathing
4th level: Dimension Door, Greater Invisibility, Leomund’s Secret Chest, Mordenkainen’s Faithful Hound, Mordenkainen’s Private Sanctum, Otiluke’s Resilient Sphere, Stoneskin

Cleanser of Undeath. Beginning when you choose this tradition at 2nd level, the positive energies that you have learned to harness make you a staunch foe of the undead. When you use a spell slot to cast a spell of 6th level or lower that would normally heal hit points but has no effect on undead, you may instead use the spell to damage undead. You cast the spell as normal, choosing targets as appropriate. If one of the creatures that would be affected by the spell has the Undead creature type, you can choose to have the spell deal radiant damage to that creature equal to the amount that would normally be healed.

Font of Healing. Beginning at 6th level, you can use your divine energies to aid others in tending their injuries when not in combat. If you or any friendly creatures within 30 feet of you regain hit points at the end of a short rest, each of those creatures regain extra hit points equal to your wizard level. Instead of healing hit points, you can use this feature to heal Wound Points. Each target can heal 1 Wound Point for every five of your wizard levels, though a creature may only be healed of Wound Points by this feature once every 24 hours.

Hand of Protection. At 10th level, you gain the ability to protect others with pure divine energy. As an action, you can extend your Hand of Protection. To do this, you begin performing verbal and somatic elements and concentrating as if you are concentrating on a spell. Your Hand of Protection takes immediate effect and remains in effect until you no longer spend your action to perform these elements, stop concentrating on this feature, are silenced, or voluntarily end it (no action required).
You choose two creatures within 30 feet that you can see to be affected by your Hand of Protection. This increases to 3 creatures at 17th level. Creatures affected by it choose one of the following benefits when you choose them and at the end of each your turns.

Resistance to all damage.
Advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Beacon of Life. Beginning at 14th level, you have unlocked the secrets of a blessing of the gods that is normally reserved for their champions. You can cast Beacon of Hope without expending a spell slot. Once you invoke this blessing, you must complete a short rest before you can do so again.

Edit: I really liked the Protect feature presented here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?525953-Sorcererous-Origin-White-Magic), so I changed mine to reflect a similar idea with the Hand of Protection.

AngryJesusMan
2017-05-25, 04:16 AM
For anyone interested, I added a limited list of wizard spells back to this subclass's arsenal. It dawned on me as I was reviewing that there are certain things that a wizard uses to make itself useful and safe in certain situations that just aren't available on the cleric spell list. Rather than giving the wizard armor proficiency, which would only address some of the problem, I gave it back some of the tools it would normally use to protect itself. It's still not going to be a blaster, because that was never something that existed in the source material I'm drawing from, but now it should be able to at least avoid being completely destroyed the first time something runs up on it. Cheers!

Llama513
2017-05-27, 02:51 PM
I was worried about this being something like the Theurgy, but it isn't, it is in fact something very intriguing, I haven't fully read the abilities, but this strikes me as something akin to the arcane cleric mixed with the life cleric, and it is a very interesting take on the idea, however due to the nature of how a wizard works I feel it strange to have it be that they can cast divine spells because of some change in how they cast, when it should be that they simply focused their studies into learning to cast divine spells.

AngryJesusMan
2017-05-27, 03:20 PM
I was worried about this being something like the Theurgy, but it isn't, it is in fact something very intriguing, I haven't fully read the abilities, but this strikes me as something akin to the arcane cleric mixed with the life cleric, and it is a very interesting take on the idea,

Thank you. That's kind of the feel I was going for. Glad to see I hit somewhere close to that.

however due to the nature of how a wizard works I feel it strange to have it be that they can cast divine spells because of some change in how they cast, when it should be that they simply focused their studies into learning to cast divine spells.

I can certainly understand that sentiment. I fought with how to do it. I wanted to find a way to shoehorn the subclass into using divine spells. I also didn't want to continue giving it access to the usual wizard offensive options because that would completely clash with the theme that I was shooting for. Originally, I just let it have access to Cleric spells and took away access to Wizard spells, which was cleaner, but it left it essentially defenseless and without a wizard's usual utility. At that point, I had the option to give it some armor proficiency, which would essentially just make this a low-rent Cleric with worse melee capability and spell selection. Ultimately, I decided on the kinds of wizard spells I wanted it to keep, and I went through the lists and picked them out. It's an awkward solution, but I feel like it preserves the feel of my goal: a true wizard (thus, it relies on magic for everything) that has a connection to the divine. The change in spellcasting was just an effort to provide mechanics to get it done and find a narrative explanation for the change. If you have a suggestion on how better to accomplish these goals, I'm all ears. :smallsmile:

Llama513
2017-05-27, 03:35 PM
My thought is to have it be that they turned their focus to divine spells, while still keeping some arcane knowledge for responding quickly to situations, the reason for forgetting spells not on the list provided, would be that the focus on divine spells takes up their time, and thus they are unable to continue to practice the other arcane spells

AngryJesusMan
2017-06-05, 11:18 PM
I really enjoyed the Protect feature presented here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?525953-Sorcererous-Origin-White-Magic), so I made a change to mimic the idea. Thus the Hand of Protection feature was born.