PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Bull rushing through a wall?

J-H
2017-05-23, 09:58 PM
A player in one of my games is playing a Minotaur War Hulk, and is thus very, very strong. He's inside an inn and would like to come charging through the wall to engage the enemy. As far as I can tell, breaking a wall or door is going to be a standard-action attack (strength check, axe swing, headbutt, whatever), which would eliminate the chance to attack this round, or even move afterwards.

However, since it's a strength check opposed by the wall - would bull rushing be an option that would at least grant some movement in a straight line after smashing the wall down?

I'm hoping there's an obscure optional rule somewhere in one of the Completes (or any other first party book) that deals with this sort of situation.

OldTrees1
2017-05-24, 02:38 AM
I do not know of such a rule, but you could write one.

There are rules for Balance, Tumble, and Jump checks during a charge that read (paraphrased) "Charge is movement and those skills can be used during movement".

Personally I would rule that you can attempt a strength check against obstacles (yes, plural) to your charge. If you exceed the break DC by 10? 20? then the obstacle did not slow you down and you can continue your charge. If you did not exceed the break DC by enough, then your charge was moving and trying to break the obstacle. Think of it as increasing the break DC to reduce the time down to a free action.

Gruftzwerg
2017-05-24, 03:01 AM
not Bull Rushing but there are ways to accomplish this.

Pounce @ Door > Smash Door > use some kind of swift movement to get to the enemy > use rest of your attacks.

This assumes that the charger can take the door down in one blow.

Fouredged Sword
2017-05-24, 07:12 AM
Walls have a fixed break DC (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/dungeons.htm#walls). I would just let him bullrush though if his strength check exceeded the break DC. An Inn is likely wood, so DC 20. Actually not unreasonable for many high strength characters to pull off.

Gruftzwerg
2017-05-24, 08:10 AM
Walls have a fixed break DC (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/dungeons.htm#walls). I would just let him bullrush though if his strength check exceeded the break DC. An Inn is likely wood, so DC 20. Actually not unreasonable for many high strength characters to pull off.

The problem here is that breaking stuff with its regular "break DC" is a standard action. If the PC wants to break the door and attack the enemy within the same round you need to rely on pounce & pure dmg via full-attack options to break the door and further move to your target via swift/immediate action.

Deophaun
2017-05-24, 08:26 AM
The problem here is that breaking stuff with its regular "break DC" is a standard action.
There is no problem as this isn't the player asking. Rule of Cool says the DM can allow it.

Fouredged Sword
2017-05-24, 08:45 AM
And a bull rush is a full round action (charge) or standard action. I would rule of cool it as it does not make that much mechanical difference if you are bull rushing or just breaking and then moving. If you want to run though a wall you are not going to be attacking people on the other side anyway. Worst case, I would count the 10x10 wall segment as large and give it +4 to the DC.

You could consider the overrun maneuver, but that puts you in the same boat and using the same actions and modifiers more or less. You end up on the other side of the wall having used both your move and standard action for the round.

CharonsHelper
2017-05-24, 08:50 AM
If you allow Pathfinder feats - suggest that he take Stunning Irruption - http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/stunning-irruption-combat/.

I affectionately think of it as The Kool-Aid Man feat. (of note - if does affect your allies)